New Coaching Staff Thread...

p1_

DCC 4Life
People blame the offense, they blame the defense but the reason we didn't make the playoffs was special teams. When your offense has the worst starting position in the NFL it's a miracle we had one of the top scoring offenses in the NFL.
special teams were horrid, but defense was just as bad.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
special teams were horrid, but defense was just as bad.
I still can't figure out how that sorry defense ranked as highly as it did. They certainly never made plays when it mattered. And they routinely allowed otherwise mediocre quarterbacks - like Mitch Trubisky - to have career games against them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I still can't figure out how that sorry defense ranked as highly as it did. They certainly never made plays when it mattered. And they routinely allowed otherwise mediocre quarterbacks - like Mitch Trubisky - to have career games against them.
From what I see, they were trying to mesh Marinelli and Richard together. Nobody was the boss. There was no vision or clarity.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
From what I see, they were trying to mesh Marinelli and Richard together. Nobody was the boss. There was no vision or clarity.
I agree completely. And the deference that they paid to Marinelli, who's Rushmen underachieved for years, still pisses me off. All he wanted to do was coach the defensive line, but this ass-backwards team let's him keep the role while Richard does the work? Dysfunction in action my friend! Nobody has the right to be surprised that it failed. These fools set it up that way.

I'm not yet I'm sure that I'm thrilled with all of the new defensive staff hires, but I am sure I'm glad to see the mess that we had completely gone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree completely. And the deference that they paid to Marinelli, who's Rushmen underachieved for years, still pisses me off. All he wanted to do was coach the defensive line, but this ass-backwards team let's him keep the role while Richard does the work? Dysfunction in action my friend! Nobody has the right to be surprised that it failed. These fools set it up that way.

I'm not yet I'm sure that I'm thrilled with all of the new defensive staff hires, but I am sure I'm glad to see the mess that we had completely gone.
Honestly, I am not excited by any of the defensive hires. That was an issue in Green Bay for McCarthy. He stuck with Capers too long.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Isn't that sort of the point though? Have a young guy with modern ideas to bring a different perspective to a bunch of former head coaches who have sort of been doing this for a long time.

I don't think McCarthy wants to just run the same stuff that he always has. Kind of requires a Moore hire.
If it helps, just picture him in he same role that Garrett provided to Fat Wade.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Defensive coaches are better than they were.

How about improving the defensive talent.

Specifically 1T/NT

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If it helps, just picture him in he same role that Garrett provided to Fat Wade.
What, standing behind him sharpening his knife?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
@boozeman, looks like someone if vying for your title. Don't take this shit. Be the dream crushing king we know you can be. TAKE BACK THAT CROWN!
Guys... just a small negative take on an otherwise overwhelmingly positive set of changes.

I don’t thinka few nice play designs makes a full offensive coordinator. Play calling was not Moore’s strength, especially in the redzone.

Sure We were the “#1 offense” but a lot of that happened between the twenties. With the talent and huge investment we had, we should have been at or near the top of the league in scoring as well.

Now we have to actually pay Dak and short of an awesome draft haul the talent is going to drain away a bit.

Garrett parting ways overshadowed the utterly squandered opportunity this year should have been.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys... just a small negative take on an otherwise overwhelmingly positive set of changes.

I don’t thinka few nice play designs makes a full offensive coordinator. Play calling was not Moore’s strength, especially in the redzone.

Sure We were the “#1 offense” but a lot of that happened between the twenties. With the talent and huge investment we had, we should have been at or near the top of the league in scoring as well.

Now we have to actually pay Dak and short of an awesome draft haul the talent is going to drain away a bit.

Garrett parting ways overshadowed the utterly squandered opportunity this year should have been.
We were like 6th in scoring. That's pretty damn high considering our offense had the worst starting position in the NFL.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Moore does seem like an odd fit with McCarthy's staff.

I believe all the other coaches on this staff have been coaches in the NFL for several years. They're grizzled NFL coaching vets. Moore on the other hand is still cutting his still cutting his baby teeth.
That's actually what's appealing for me. Say what you want about Moore's lack of experience, but in his first year, he had Dak among the top passers in the league, had the top yardage offense, and was #6 overall in scoring. I can see how McCarthy might actually want to keep a guy like that around. And I think a pairing of a young offensive mind with experienced, veteran coaches could be mutually beneficial.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life

In terms of squandered opportunities, 2019 will go down as arguably the worst in this team's history.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Garrett's firing in fact highlighted the stupendous underachievement and was a direct result of said squandering.
It seems though Garrett’s exit has been a bigger story than the utter failure itself.

I mean look at this offensive talent. It’s borderline ridiculous in a post salary cap NFL.

Yet all we could seem to do was run it in the most brute force way. And after getting punched in the mouth we routinely crawled right back into that unimaginative tank.

The OC has to hold some of the responsibility for that.

I agree we improved statistically, but a lot of that came against inferior competitors or in garbage time like against Green Bay.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We were like 6th in scoring. That's pretty damn high considering our offense had the worst starting position in the NFL.
We whipped up on bad teams or cleaned up in garbage time like against Chicago.

When we needed it most, we fired blanks.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems though Garrett’s exit has been a bigger story than the utter failure itself.

I mean look at this offensive talent. It’s borderline ridiculous in a post salary cap NFL.

Yet all we could seem to do was run it in the most brute force way. And after getting punched in the mouth we routinely crawled right back into that unimaginative tank.

The OC has to hold some of the responsibility for that.

I agree we improved statistically, but a lot of that came against inferior competitors or in garbage time like against Green Bay.
Garbage time isn't the best way to put it in todays NFL. If our defense did anything we would have been right back in that game. The Chiefs have kimd of shown that trailing by 24 points is far from a nail in the coffin.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Garbage time isn't the best way to put it in todays NFL. If our defense did anything we would have been right back in that game. The Chiefs have kimd of shown that trailing by 24 points is far from a nail in the coffin.
An occasional takeaway and/or key stop would have helped tons

Top Bottom