New Coaching Staff Thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
K
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I think we're all happy Moore is sticking so let's just leave it at that. I certainly do not think Moore is going to be anything about gracious and easy to work with. He just doesn't strike me as a guy who would create drama.
Glad to hear you say that. I used to catch a little flak when he was chosen to be on the staff. I liked his football savvy. He isn’t player materiel for the pros but his background and understanding of the game is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like or hate Witten but I think the Cowboys will find a place for him.
I loved Witten the player but sometimes it's just time to move on. It's time for Witten. I'd be all for the guy trying to get into coaching but it doesn't have to be in Dallas and it should just be a position where he is able to learn to coach and not be given any really important responsibility.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So, Kellen Moore happens to be the guy McCarthy coveted all along.

Ok
Before McCarthy started making his coaching interview rounds he did mention being intrigued by Kellen Moore in an interview.

With only Moore & Nussmeier being retained, that's not much of a forced hire IMO.

I'd be interested to see how often new coaches bring in an entirely new staff.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Per Charean Williams
Kellen Moore calling plays
Dallas will be in a 4-3 defense
It's a little surprising that Moore will be calling plays. I look forward to seeing what he can do with Garrett's stale boring ass out of the way.

Cotton

Staff member
I guess he is going with if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thing is though, it kind of was. Situational play-calling was not Moore's best suit.
And, game planning and game management was not Garrett's.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, I'm betting McCarthy won't be afraid to talk to Moore during the game if there's something he doesn't like, instead of the Garrett move of saying nothing until after the game and then throwing them under the bus

Cotton

Staff member
Some of this is Jerry hand-puppeting, but you can’t have everything. Even Parcells inherited Zimmer
Why would you assume this? This has been the most hands off I have seen Jerry in well over a decade. I know we are beaten wives, but let's enjoy this for a bit. If it fails, it fails, but at least we will know it failed being done right.

Cotton

Staff member
Seems awful convenient.

Yes, there is a single example of McCarthy getting excited by one Kellen Moore play among many called in the NFL last year.

That’s far from evidence that MM wanted Moore all along.

Given Jerry’s track record and that even Bill Parcells was made to tow the line on keeping at least one assistant I’m inclined to believe Moore is MM’s concession to Skeletor and this “I wanted him all along statement is a lot of smoke being blown up a lot of peoples’ asses
@boozeman, looks like someone if vying for your title. Don't take this shit. Be the dream crushing king we know you can be. TAKE BACK THAT CROWN!

Cotton

Staff member
My sense on Kellen Moore continuing as playcaller: Mike McCarthy will be a lot like Bill Parcells when he had Sean Payton and Tony Sparano calling plays. He will be in Moore’s ear a lot during games and heavily involved in the game-planning process. Also, told this was not a Jerry Jones’ edict. McCarthy admired the work done by Moore and believes that will be best for Dak Prescott’s growth.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer 7m ago

Hmm...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
My sense on Kellen Moore continuing as playcaller: Mike McCarthy will be a lot like Bill Parcells when he had Sean Payton and Tony Sparano calling plays. He will be in Moore’s ear a lot during games and heavily involved in the game-planning process.
Reminds me of a clip from NFL Films during this time in Dallas when Bill Parcells practically orders Sean Payton to call a "TD Pass".

It goes to show just how much Parcells influenced the playcalling despite not calling them himself, and my guess is that McCarthy will be doing the same.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I guess he is going with if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thing is though, it kind of was. Situational play-calling was not Moore's best suit.
This is where I'm going to drink a little of the kool-aid.

McCarthy is more hands on with his staff during the games than Garrett was. Therefore I'm hoping in key situations we'll see McCarthy be more directive about what type of plays should be ran.

Far too often it seemed that Garrett was just along for the ride.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Reminds me of a clip from NFL Films during this time in Dallas when Bill Parcells practically orders Sean Payton to call a "TD Pass".

It goes to show just how much Parcells influenced the playcalling despite not calling them himself, and my guess is that McCarthy will be doing the same.
Yep and that's an area that Garrett struggled with. Whenever Schmitty or one of the other Garrett defenders tried to argue that Garrett's not calling plays, my response was always that as the HC he still had the power & the responsibility to influence what was being called.

Garrett appeared content to just sit idly by and roll with whatever his assistant coaches rolled out there.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yep and that's an area that Garrett struggled with. Whenever Schmitty or one of the other Garrett defenders tried to argue that Garrett's not calling plays, my response was always that as the HC he still had the power & the responsibility to influence what was being called.

Garrett appeared content to just sit idly by and roll with whatever his assistant coaches rolled out there.
Well yeah, that way he can throw them under the bus and take zero accountability

Hoffa

DCC 4Life

The fact that he was never holding a play sheet was a dead giveaway. He had no involvement whatsoever. Was his headset even plugged in?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not sure I like it.
I'm not sure either. I'm guessing McCarthy will be on top of it though so it could be the right move. Usually I prefer when the head coach doesn't call plays but Moore is still essentially unproven.

The good news is, with the talent on offense it'll be hard to screw up.

Top Bottom