New Coaching Staff Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a damn good endorsement. I'm feeling better about it. If he assembles a good staff, I'll feel even better. Excited, even.
I know some here are worried about Kellen Moore. I'm not. If McCarthy wants to work with him I know McCarthy will be hands on with the offense. My understanding from Glazier is McCarthy is totally in charge of who his assistants are.

It's mostly about the DCordinator. I really like Nolan and I'm not even sure if I care 4-3 or 3-4. We need to add Dlineman regardless. Marvin Lewis would be great as a DC as well.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I know some here are worried about Kellen Moore. I'm not. If McCarthy wants to work with him I know McCarthy will be hands on with the offense. My understanding from Glazier is McCarthy is totally in charge of who his assistants are.

It's mostly about the DCordinator. I really like Nolan and I'm not even sure if I care 4-3 or 3-4. We need to add Dlineman regardless. Marvin Lewis would be great as a DC as well.
I'd take Lewis (DC), Haslett (LB), and Nolan (DB).

vince

Not So New Member
Why? Because he didn't deserve the job when he got it? That cats already out of the bag. The guy led one of the best offenses in the NFL last year while being handicapped by Garrett. If McCarthy wants him I'm not upset at all.
McCarthy is not going to relinquish playcalling duties. If Moore is retained, it better be to observe and learn.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
McCarthy is not going to relinquish playcalling duties. If Moore is retained, it better be to observe and learn.
It may very well be. Again, if McCarthy sees the value in a guy who led the #1 offense in the NFL I see no problem.

data

Forbes #1
For those saying Aaron Rodgers made Mike McCarthy...

2017: 3-4 with Brett Hundley as QB (before official playoff elimination)

I'd be accepting of that record if we had to go Cooper Rush for 7 games.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Why? Because he didn't deserve the job when he got it? That cats already out of the bag. The guy led one of the best offenses in the NFL last year while being handicapped by Garrett. If McCarthy wants him I'm not upset at all.
I have a whole lot more faith of him developing under McCarthy than I did under Garrett.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Why? Because McCarthy is coming in to change things. Moore isn’t McCarthy’s guy. He’s Jerry’s guy. He wasn’t even Garrett’s guy. Garrett wanted Moore’s responsibilities, not Moore.

And I get it, the offense piled up a lot of yards, but that happens when you’re in 10-12 shootouts in a 16 game schedule.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Risen is making a good point over on Cowboyszone, as is Norm on the ticket:

It will be interesting to know what kind of control McCarthy is getting.

Notably, McCarthy interviewed in other spots that are all still coach-less, yet he jumped at this offer. Could Jerry have just offered him too much money? There must have been some power compromise.
Dude it's the Cowboys. There is major allure to coaching this team. Still. Amazingly.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Snippet from this article: FMIA Week 15: Mike McCarthy Gets Creative To Prepare For His Next Shot

When McCarthy showed me some plays to illustrate what he’d import into his offense, the one I liked most came from the third play of the Cowboys 2019 season. “RPO Dover” is what McCarthy called this. On second-and-eight from the Dallas 40, the Cowboys lined up in a power-run formation and design—seven across the offensive line, Ezekiel Elliott motioning from the left flank into a sidecar to Dak Prescott, with two seeming distractions only, Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, split wide left. The Giants had a cornerback eight yards off Gallup, outside the numbers, and a safety 10 yards off Cooper, who was inside of Gallup. At the snap, Prescott play-actioned to Elliott, flowing to his right. Nine Giants flowed to that side. Prescott pulled the ball out of Elliott’s gut. Both receivers ran quick in-routes, unchallenged by defenders, and Prescott flipped to Cooper, inside, for one of the easiest nine-yard gains of his life. First down.

McCarthy was visibly excited by the play. “The beauty of it,” he said excitedly, “is you can still run. It’s a clean run. But the free yards on the pass . . . that is such a smart design.”

If McCarthy gets a job, expect to see that play, and lots of different motion concepts, in 2020.

---

I think Moore will be back and hopefully it truly is McCarthy's decision. I think the canary in the coal mine will be what happens with Witten, if he gets a straight up TE coach job then Jerry is definitely dictating, but if he comes on as like a QC coach or not at all then I think there's a decent argument that McCarthy is in control of the staff.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
we'll know who's still calling the shots if that happens
Tuna retained Zimmer while changing to a 3-4 and he was a 4-3 guy. Tuna knew Zimmer was a good coach, who is to say Moore doesn't fit that mold?
Most like what he was doing at the beginning and think RHG started meddling.

Top Bottom