NBA Chatter Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Playing the national anthem doesn't happen in other countries because other countries don't have the pride in their country that we do. Just like you'll hear foreigners sometimes say they are surprised when they come here to see so many people display the flag because that doesn't happen in their country.

I wouldn't want it any other way. I think the minute we stop appreciating what we have here we put it in jeopardy. We're such a mixture of people and it's one of the main things that keeps us united. We're not like other countries in many ways and we shouldn't take what we have for granted.

Americans in general are more proud of our country than other people and I think it's for good reason.

This is a great country with great ideals, founded on principles that have made the country and the world an enormously better place.

And because America is so great, LeBron has every right to ignore being reverent towards the anthem and the great symbol that it represents.

And I have in turn every right to think he's a pompous douchenozzle for doing so.

Fuck Lebron and God bless America.

And by the way, LeBron is a jackass regardless but this actually has nothing to do with LeBron. If I saw some random ham and egger do this I'd definitely be shooting him some daggers.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, I get that he thinks the country is terrible and doesn't respect the anthem. Sadly, too many think that way now. But couldn't he at least stand still for a minute while they're playing it, if nothing else to show some respect to the people there who do?

Instead he had to make a point of walking through it like it's just another shitty stadium pop song.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's not just a song. It's a short moment in time to pay respect. And just because he is some famous guy, doesn't excuse him from showing a little bit of decency.

And it's not like this is something that we've just recently started doing. This has been a part of American culture long before any of us were alive.

The first documented time that it was played at an American sporting event came at a baseball game in 1862, during the Civil War. The tradition of playing it at sports events got a dramatic boost at the 1918 World Series, during World War I.
Playing the national anthem doesn't happen in other countries because other countries don't have the pride in their country that we do. Just like you'll hear foreigners sometimes say they are surprised when they come here to see so many people display the flag because that doesn't happen in their country.

I wouldn't want it any other way. I think the minute we stop appreciating what we have here we put it in jeopardy. We're such a mixture of people and it's one of the main things that keeps us united. We're not like other countries in many ways and we shouldn't take what we have for granted.

Americans in general are more proud of our country than other people and I think it's for good reason.

This is a great country with great ideals, founded on principles that have made the country and the world an enormously better place.

And because America is so great, LeBron has every right to ignore being reverent towards the anthem and the great symbol that it represents.

And I have in turn every right to think he's a pompous douchenozzle for doing so.

Fuck Lebron and God bless America.

And by the way, LeBron is a jackass regardless but this actually has nothing to do with LeBron. If I saw some random ham and egger do this I'd definitely be shooting him some daggers.
Fair enough.

Just an FYI, my cousin who is more like a brother to me, is a combat vet who sacrificed a lot for this country, so I by no means intended to imply that it doesn't mean anything at all.

I do believe, as does he even though he's a vet who loves his country, that the national anthem thing can be taken a bit overboard at times, but I respect you guys' opinion and you've made solid points.

Moving along now. :art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fair enough.

Just an FYI, my cousin who is more like a brother to me, is a combat vet who sacrificed a lot for this country, so I by no means intended to imply that it doesn't mean anything at all.

I do believe, as does he even though he's a vet who loves his country, that the national anthem thing can be taken a bit overboard at times, but I respect you guys' opinion and you've made solid points.

Moving along now. :art
I know it may seem weird to some people, but we stand for the national anthem in my living room. Call me a kook, I don't give a damn. My daughter salutes flags as we pass them on the road. I will never be ashamed of this.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
My brother and I were late arrivals at an Orioles game last year. They started playing the anthem over the loud speaker, and everyone stopped and took off their caps. No one started making their way towards the stadium until the anthem finished. That's how you do it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I love this dude. He is ex-police and a conservative.
Listen to this guy annihilate Lebron. :towel
Tatum's show comes on at 6:00 here. He's great, and hilarious.

Genghis Khan

My brother and I were late arrivals at an Orioles game last year. They started playing the anthem over the loud speaker, and everyone stopped and took off their caps. No one started making their way towards the stadium until the anthem finished. That's how you do it.

Yep the Phillies game is like that.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
IMO, Draymond’s actions are a direct result of the wussification of today’s NBA. If this were the 80s or 90s there wouldn’t have been a need for an indefinite suspension because the players would have taken care of it themselves. The very first time he tried kicking, stomping, or choking someone, he’d have gotten his ass beat right then and there on the court in front for 20k screaming fans.

After seeing that his actions are going to cost him an ass kicking, Draymond would have learned to control himself a long time ago.

But these days Stern and Silver have softened the league up so much that the players are too terrified to protect themselves from on-court bullies like Draymond. As the old line of thinking goes, most bullies don’t want to fight. They just like to pick on those who won’t fight back. That’s how I see Draymond.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Draymond needed his ass kicked at least 10 years ago. Wish he'd have faced a Charles Oakley type back in the day.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
IMO, Draymond’s actions are a direct result of the wussification of today’s NBA. If this were the 80s or 90s there wouldn’t have been a need for an indefinite suspension because the players would have taken care of it themselves. The very first time he tried kicking, stomping, or choking someone, he’d have gotten his ass beat right then and there on the court in front for 20k screaming fans.

After seeing that his actions are going to cost him an ass kicking, Draymond would have learned to control himself a long time ago.

But these days Stern and Silver have softened the league up so much that the players are too terrified to protect themselves from on-court bullies like Draymond. As the old line of thinking goes, most bullies don’t want to fight. They just like to pick on those who won’t fight back. That’s how I see Draymond.
What's more, Draymond knows all this and acts accordingly, he knows nobody is going to do anything so he acts with impunity.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What's more, Draymond knows all this and acts accordingly, he knows nobody is going to do anything so he acts with impunity.
That's one of the most irritating things about him. It's like he's playing by a different set of rules, and he knows it.

I never understood why no one stood up to his shit and put him in his place. Yeah, you'll get fined, etc., but so does Draymond and he doesn't care.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Great win by the Thunder last night on the road vs the champs.

They’ve already been doing a great job so far this season but a win like this has a way of instilling even more confidence into a young team.

Genghis Khan

It's painful. They suck.

It also sucks only getting to watch a game once in a while, and when I do Embiid isn't playing.

As an aside, I'm really starting to like this Oubre kid.

Oubre was such an underrated signing. Very good player.

Top Bottom