MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
What a deal for the Mariners...Franklin for Jackson is a no-brainer.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm still waiting to hear that the Rays also got Taijuan Walker or something else comparable in the deal. If not and Smyly/Franklin is all they got then it was a massive panic move FAIL. Should have just held him until the offseason and worked a better deal than that.

D

Deuce

Tigers To Acquire David Price
By Jeff Todd [July 31, 2014 at 2:54pm CDT]
The Tigers have agreed to acquire David Price from the Rays, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The deal is a three-way trade between the Tigers, Rays, and Mariners.

Austin Jackson will go to the Mariners, per a tweet from Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, with Nick Franklin and Drew Smyly heading to Tampa, according to Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune (via Twitter).
--------------------------------------

Drew Smyly and Nick Franklin? For David Price? Surely there must be more. Has to be.
I would hope so, but both were highly regarded prospects that Friedman had coveted.

Ialso heard Zobrist to the Pirates for a package including Starling Marte, but haven't seen anything to confirm

D

Deuce

@Ken_Rosenthal: It is NOT just Smyly, Franklin going to #Rays. Class A shortstop Willy Adames also in deal. He is 18 years old, highly regarded.

@jonmorosi: Willy Adames is no mere throw-in to this trade. I spoke with rival execs in recent weeks who said Adames was the Tigers' No. 1 prospect.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
@Ken_Rosenthal: It is NOT just Smyly, Franklin going to #Rays. Class A shortstop Willy Adames also in deal. He is 18 years old, highly regarded.

@jonmorosi: Willy Adames is no mere throw-in to this trade. I spoke with rival execs in recent weeks who said Adames was the Tigers' No. 1 prospect.
It might end up being just fine, but you have to consider it to be a little underwhelming. Don't know anything about Adames. Long way off if he's 18 but if he turns out to be a player it will look a lot better in 4 years or so.

D

Deuce

It might end up being just fine, but you have to consider it to be a little underwhelming. Don't know anything about Adames. Long way off if he's 18 but if he turns out to be a player it will look a lot better in 4 years or so.
Absolutely underwhelming. I like all 3 players but this "package" is not what should "blow us away" which is what Friedman kept reiterating it would take.

Now, Smyly and Franklin cam play now which I think is highly valued to them cause it replaces Price and Escobar for next year and allows them to continue to contend. But Adames needs to pan out for this to even be considered fair.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cubs got a guy named Victor Caratini from ATL for Bonafacio and lefty reliever James Russell. Reading real quick he probably projects as a future utility player that can catch (but arm is too weak to do it full time) and play 3B. He was a top 10 prospect within the Braves system, but I'm not sure that's saying a whole lot right now. He was their 2nd round pick in 2013.

Good enough. Bonafacio is pretty much irrelevant since Alcantara got called up and Russell is a run-of-the-mill lefty pen guy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm still waiting for the haul we are going to get for Rios.

Wut?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The ‪#‎MNTwins‬ have extended C Kurt Suzuki through 2016 with a vesting option for 2017. Suzuki will earn $6 million in 2015 & 2016.

Huh. I expected them to trade him away. I must say, I like this move. But it must mean they're not sold on Josmil Pinto being ready soon. His bat is, but his defense is still pretty sketchy.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
[MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] quick question for you.

Why were the Rays in such a hurry to trade Price this year, especially since they could have moved him next year a well?

Did they think they'd get more for him this year because that extra year on his contract being attractive to trade partners?

I'm looking at it from this angle. The Rays are trying to get a new stadium. How do you get the city and the fans to buy off on a new stadium when it appears the team is throwing in the towel and isn't committed to doing what it takes to bring a winner into town.

The trade just seems weird given what they got in return, their quest for a new stadium, and how well they've been playing.

D

Deuce

@Deuce quick question for you.

Why were the Rays in such a hurry to trade Price this year, especially since they could have moved him next year a well?

Did they think they'd get more for him this year because that extra year on his contract being attractive to trade partners?

I'm looking at it from this angle. The Rays are trying to get a new stadium. How do you get the city and the fans to buy off on a new stadium when it appears the team is throwing in the towel and isn't committed to doing what it takes to bring a winner into town.

The trade just seems weird given what they got in return, their quest for a new stadium, and how well they've been playing.
Trading him now makes sense because it's either now or December and with them pretty much out of contention, the extra half a year should've made the asking price higher.

As far as the stadium goes, that's not happening anytime in the near future. They are locked into the Trop for a long time and the Trop hasn't given any indication of breaking the lease early. Plus, this is how the Rays operate. The city is used to them selling off their high end players before they hit FA. They didn't do it with BJ or Crawford because they were the best team in baseball much of those seasons. But Kazmir, Garza, Shields all dealt. The faith in the system comes in when Friedmans deals have almost always panned out and look at those lists of players. Not one of them ever went on to have better seasons than they had inTampa. The team did right to cut them loose.

Rev

Staff member
One of the better teams.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Yanks face Tigers, get Scherzer, Price, Verlander and Porcello. Good luck with that.

Rev

Staff member
Yanks face Tigers, get Scherzer, Price, Verlander and Porcello. Good luck with that.
What's even worse about that is they will have the best shot against Verlander.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Scherzer pitched great, but we were able to get the first win.

Tony D, I was wondering what you thought about the Martin Prado signing. Most likely a rental, but did we give up a good prospect?

This year I haven't been following baseball as much as I normally do with all the injuries. Good to see Brett Gardner coming into form though.

D

Deuce

Not that it should be a surprise with how the Rangers season has gone so far, but 'Ol Suck Ass came through yesterday against the Rays. Nice to see he's still got it.

Top Bottom