MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
If I were Alderson I'd put Wright on waivers now and see if he made it to Bal and try and work out a deal.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If I were Alderson I'd put Wright on waivers now and see if he made it to Bal and try and work out a deal.
You sure he wasnt? Dont they do it with most players?

I know Darvish and Beltre went through.

Carp

DCC 4Life
You sure he wasnt? Dont they do it with most players?

I know Darvish and Beltre went through.
Not Wright...not even Colon. Alderson over values his players.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That just doesn't make sense. You can pull them back at any time.
Yep. It is a poor move. They did run Granderson through waivers though. Alderson has done a good job adding young talent, but at some point the Mets have to stop acting like a small market team and make a big FA signing or trade some of that young talent for a premium bat.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Kennys Vargas. Remember this name, as he will be taking over MLB soon.

Recently called up from AA, 22 RBIs in 21 games. Switch hitting 6' 5" 275lb monster.

As an aside, the Twins have scored 32 runs in their first two games against the Tigers. Go Royals. :towel

Carp

DCC 4Life
Colon did get put out on waivers...we'll see today if he gets claimed. The sticking point is the 11 mil he is owed next year, but if he produces similar to what he did this year it is a great value contract. He is actually underpaid based on production.

D

Deuce

Colon did get put out on waivers...we'll see today if he gets claimed. The sticking point is the 11 mil he is owed next year, but if he produces similar to what he did this year it is a great value contract. He is actually underpaid based on production.
That's peanuts to the Yankees who have to be desperate for starting pitching.

Rev

Staff member
Rangers magic number is 7. :towel

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It's go time for a lot of these Cubs prospects. Alcantara, then Baez, and now Soler is up in the Bigs. Kris Bryant will be up in April. They'll still have a few pretty nice bats in the minors even after all these guys are in Chicago. Just about time to get a front of the rotation starter to go with what they have.

There is a chance they could make a little noise in 2015. They won't make the playoffs but they should flirt with .500 and maybe be close enough to that second wildcard to be considered in the race for a while. They should be pretty legit in 2016.

Or the more likely scenario, since it's the Cubs, is that most of these stud prospects will totally flop and they tease for a few years before we realize it ain't happening.

:budd

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION] - Don't know if you saw or not but we unloaded Soto to the A's for ...... cash.

Guess that's better than nothing.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION] - Don't know if you saw or not but we unloaded Soto to the A's for ...... cash.

Guess that's better than nothing.
Yeah, better than nothing I guess. I was really excited about that guy after the 2008 season where he kind of came out of nowhere with a line of .285/23/85 and .364 OBP. Pretty much a shit sandwich after that though.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Colon cleared waivers...I think there is a good chance he gets moved.

Rev

Staff member
Ed you are slacking.

Soler with a home run in his first major league at bat.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Ed you are slacking.

Soler with a home run in his first major league at bat.
SOLER POWER!!!

Yeah, I am excited about these guys. Glad to see them getting a look and a bit of seasoning at Wrigley. Alcantra has scuffled some with BA/OBP but has showed the power/speed combo he displayed in the minors. Baez has been whiffing like mad and has a terrible BA but has hit several HRs. That's going to be the case for him but the BA will come up some. He always initially struggles when he is bumped up a level. Soler is exciting in that he also has big power upside but apparently much better plate discipline, as well as a plus arm in the outfield. Would love to see Kris Bryant get a look too but it won't be until April. Meanwhile he's yawning his way through the minors with > 40 HRs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Like ED I am psyched to see some young guys come up. Dilson Herrera is up now...guy we got from Pitt in the Byrd trade last year. He has killed it in the minors, only 20, plays a solid 2B too. Talk that we also may bring up Plawecki and make him the every day C and move D'Arnaud to LF.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Like ED I am psyched to see some young guys come up. Dilson Herrera is up now...guy we got from Pitt in the Byrd trade last year. He has killed it in the minors, only 20, plays a solid 2B too. Talk that we also may bring up Plawecki and make him the every day C and move D'Arnaud to LF.
Cubs and Mets should definitely be two teams to watch in the NL over the next few seasons. Both are really building something. Let's just hope the foundations they are building upon are solid. Sure seems that way but you never know about these prospects until they come up and prove it.

I'm more optimistic about the direction of the Cubs franchise/young talent than I've ever been though. You have plenty of reason to feel the same way about the Mets. I just hope for the sake of the Mets and fans like you that they can keep their young arms healthy. If they do that they're going to be a force in NL East fairly soon.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Cubs have lots of bats. Redundant in some spots, but SSs should be able to play anywhere. Herrera is a real key...he may free us up to move Murphy for an OF bat. He is an athlete...which we sorely lack. Our strength is pitching and hoping guys like Nimmo and Conforto keep developing as hitters. Of all our young arms I think deGrom may be a guy who people don't think about, but runs up 14-15 wins a year. Nothing overpowering, but he is just a good pitcher. Reminds me of Arroyo.

Top Bottom