Misunderstood Pitbulls attack and kill 63 yr old woman

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cats stink.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cats stink.
The litter pan is no fun. But dogs eat their own shit. Can't get all high and might about a cat that at least has the decency to bury theirs and not treat it as a tasty snack later.

dallen

Senior Tech
I adore my two Manx cats.

Got an infestation of mice during the winter, went to pound and got those two, no mice to be found very quickly.

So fierce. One growled at me like a pit bull on steroids when I tried to take his dead mouse away while he was still having fun with it.
Manx cats are awesome. We had a couple growing up and I have a geriatric bastard right now. He will tear some shit up if you f with him though.

My daughter also has a basic domestic short hair that I am pretty sure is retarded. She gets lost in the hall way and screams like a banshee until someone goes to find her. She is also mostly deaf so you can't just shout at her. I fricking hate that thing. But she did get locked in the shed for 3 weeks during the summer with no food or water a few years ago and survived. You gotta respect that

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Manx cats are awesome. We had a couple growing up and I have a geriatric bastard right now. He will tear some shit up if you f with him though.

My daughter also has a basic domestic short hair that I am pretty sure is retarded. She gets lost in the hall way and screams like a banshee until someone goes to find her. She is also mostly deaf so you can't just shout at her. I fricking hate that thing. But she did get locked in the shed for 3 weeks during the summer with no food or water a few years ago and survived:unsure. You gotta respect that

Zombie cat!!!! :skurred

Carp

DCC 4Life
We have two cats...mostly because my kids wanted a pet and they are easy to maintain for the most part. I can't stand them...and they will not be making the trip with us to Omaha.

Cotton

Staff member
We had two cats before my wife got pregnant with our oldest. We got rid of them at that point and I swore to never have another inside cat.

I see the benefit of having one outside, but inside... screw that.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
We have one make cat that stays outside... He's awesome. He thinks he's a dog.

We temporarily have a second cat that showed up in our yard and wouldn't leave... And she was pregnant. So we let her have the babies at our house so she didn't have to have them in the wild. It was the worst mistake I ever made pet wise... They stink so bad. They are all going to the pound, mom included in a few days.(the ones we can't give away)

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Cats are alright with me, but I can tolerate a dog with an annoying personality a lot longer than a cat with one. I'm also allergic to cats.

My niece and nephew's cat is the coolest cat ever. He just sleeps in his basket in the garage and walks around like a pimp.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We had 3, but one of them has been missing for about a month, so I am down to two. The meows when they are going to get their "Temptations" treats drive me up the wall.

D

Deuce

From today's Orlando Sentinel...

[h=1]The Front Burner: Banning pit bulls saves lives and protects the innocentBy Colleen Lynn Guest columnist May 24, 2013

[/h]Whether to ban pit bulls is a human health and safety issue that should be steered by health and safety officials. Public safety is not the profession of animal advocates. Thus, public policy coming from animal advocates concerning protecting humans from pit bulls is fundamentally flawed.

So far this year, 13 of the 14 Americans who have been killed by dogs — 93 percent — were killed by pit bulls and pit mixes. This is well above the average of 60 percent from 2005 to 2012.

As the pit bull population rises, more human fatalities ensue. During the last eight-year period that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied fatal attacks by breed (1991 to 1998), pit bulls were estimated at 1 percent of the U.S. dog population. Pit bulls killed an average of three people per year.

The pit bull population has since grown to 4 percent. During the most recent eight-year period (2005-12), pit bulls killed an average of 19 people per year.

Miami-Dade County, which banned pit bulls in 1989, has avoided this loss of life. Other Florida counties — prohibited by state law from regulating dogs by breed — continue to experience deaths and disfigurements due to pit bulls. Since 1989, 18 Florida citizens have been killed by pit bulls — none within Miami-Dade.

The threat from pit bulls results from the combination of the animals' inclination to attack without warning — an essential trait of fighting dogs — and the type of injuries that pit bulls typically inflict.

Most dogs bite and retreat, but pit bulls have a hold-and-shake bite style, and tenaciously refuse to stop an attack once begun.

Often a pit bull releases its grip only when dead — the trait dog fighters describe as being "dead game."

Ban opponents often blame dismembering and fatal attacks on environmental factors, such as neglect. That, unfortunately, is the plight of too many dogs of all breeds, not just those who kill and maim.

Opponents also fail to distinguish dog-bite-injury severity. They argue that bans "do not reduce all dog bites." Of the 4.7 million Americans bitten by dogs each year, 9,500 require hospitalization for severe dog-bite injuries. The most extreme injury level, mauling injury, requires life-saving procedures at trauma centers.

The purpose of a pit bull ban is to eradicate mauling injuries and deaths inflicted by pit bulls, the breed involved in more than half of all severe and mauling attacks.

Since 1986, 18 appellate decisions have upheld lower-court findings that pit bulls are more dangerous than other dog breeds.

Since 1988, four peer-reviewed studies published in leading medical journals have reviewed the severity of pit bull injury. "Mortality, Mauling and Maiming by Vicious Dogs," published in the Annals of Surgery in 2011, concluded the following:

"Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the U.S. mortality rates related to dog bites."

In April 2012, the highest court in Maryland declared pit bulls "inherently dangerous," altering common law pertaining to pit bull attacks. Pit bulls are prima facia dangerous in Maryland and held to a strict liability standard. In instances of a tenant's pit bull attacking, this liability extends to the landlord. The court cited the entire abstract of the 2011 Annals of Surgery study in its opinion.

Influential pit bull advocates have supported regulation in the past and are doing so now. On its Facebook page, the Villalobos Rescue Center, founded by Tia Torres of Animal Planet's Pit Bulls & Parolees — expressed support for a proposal in Louisiana on the heels of a mutilating attack on a woman by her own pit bulls.

It is time for Florida pit bull advocacy groups to follow suit.

Colleen Lynn is the founder of DogsBite.org, a national dog-bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It is bad owners that cause these dogs to clamp down and shake. Clearly these beautiful dogs have nothing to do with it.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
It is bad owners that cause these dogs to clamp down and shake. Clearly these beautiful dogs have nothing to do with it.
Did the owner make sure the dog had regular exercise, but only between 11 AM and 11:35 AM? If not clearly the owner just couldn't handle a pit bull.

Cotton

Staff member

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
From today's Orlando Sentinel...

[h=1]The Front Burner: Banning pit bulls saves lives and protects the innocentBy Colleen Lynn Guest columnist May 24, 2013

[/h]Whether to ban pit bulls is a human health and safety issue that should be steered by health and safety officials. Public safety is not the profession of animal advocates. Thus, public policy coming from animal advocates concerning protecting humans from pit bulls is fundamentally flawed.

So far this year, 13 of the 14 Americans who have been killed by dogs — 93 percent — were killed by pit bulls and pit mixes. This is well above the average of 60 percent from 2005 to 2012.

As the pit bull population rises, more human fatalities ensue. During the last eight-year period that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied fatal attacks by breed (1991 to 1998), pit bulls were estimated at 1 percent of the U.S. dog population. Pit bulls killed an average of three people per year.

The pit bull population has since grown to 4 percent. During the most recent eight-year period (2005-12), pit bulls killed an average of 19 people per year.

Miami-Dade County, which banned pit bulls in 1989, has avoided this loss of life. Other Florida counties — prohibited by state law from regulating dogs by breed — continue to experience deaths and disfigurements due to pit bulls. Since 1989, 18 Florida citizens have been killed by pit bulls — none within Miami-Dade.

The threat from pit bulls results from the combination of the animals' inclination to attack without warning — an essential trait of fighting dogs — and the type of injuries that pit bulls typically inflict.

Most dogs bite and retreat, but pit bulls have a hold-and-shake bite style, and tenaciously refuse to stop an attack once begun.

Often a pit bull releases its grip only when dead — the trait dog fighters describe as being "dead game."

Ban opponents often blame dismembering and fatal attacks on environmental factors, such as neglect. That, unfortunately, is the plight of too many dogs of all breeds, not just those who kill and maim.

Opponents also fail to distinguish dog-bite-injury severity. They argue that bans "do not reduce all dog bites." Of the 4.7 million Americans bitten by dogs each year, 9,500 require hospitalization for severe dog-bite injuries. The most extreme injury level, mauling injury, requires life-saving procedures at trauma centers.

The purpose of a pit bull ban is to eradicate mauling injuries and deaths inflicted by pit bulls, the breed involved in more than half of all severe and mauling attacks.

Since 1986, 18 appellate decisions have upheld lower-court findings that pit bulls are more dangerous than other dog breeds.

Since 1988, four peer-reviewed studies published in leading medical journals have reviewed the severity of pit bull injury. "Mortality, Mauling and Maiming by Vicious Dogs," published in the Annals of Surgery in 2011, concluded the following:

"Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the U.S. mortality rates related to dog bites."

In April 2012, the highest court in Maryland declared pit bulls "inherently dangerous," altering common law pertaining to pit bull attacks. Pit bulls are prima facia dangerous in Maryland and held to a strict liability standard. In instances of a tenant's pit bull attacking, this liability extends to the landlord. The court cited the entire abstract of the 2011 Annals of Surgery study in its opinion.

Influential pit bull advocates have supported regulation in the past and are doing so now. On its Facebook page, the Villalobos Rescue Center, founded by Tia Torres of Animal Planet's Pit Bulls & Parolees — expressed support for a proposal in Louisiana on the heels of a mutilating attack on a woman by her own pit bulls.

It is time for Florida pit bull advocacy groups to follow suit.

Colleen Lynn is the founder of DogsBite.org, a national dog-bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks.

Pit Bull "bans" have only led to the killing of thousands of unrelated dogs. Like I said before, "pit bull" the way the media uses the term is not a breed, it's just a word that is used as a catch all for a medium sized or large dog with a wide head. In places like Denver and Miami where they've tried the ban, it's been used on basically any large dog that the cops decide to take, Rottweilers, Labs, you name it. When you go to that step you're basically saying that because a tiny amount of people die from dog attacks every year the people of this supposedly free country shouldn't be allowed to own dogs larger than a toy poodle.

Cotton

Staff member
Pit Bull "bans" have only led to the killing of thousands of unrelated dogs. Like I said before, "pit bull" the way the media uses the term is not a breed, it's just a word that is used as a catch all for a medium sized or large dog with a wide head. In places like Denver and Miami where they've tried the ban, it's been used on basically any large dog that the cops decide to take, Rottweilers, Labs, you name it. When you go to that step you're basically saying that because a tiny amount of people die from dog attacks every year the people of this supposedly free country shouldn't be allowed to own dogs larger than a toy poodle.
It's a stupid idea. But, some feel like they should agree with because then it would be like we are doing something to PROTECT SOCIETY!

Dobermans are just as aggressive as pits but you don't see them in the news all the time because of the stigma that has been attached to pits. It's just not news worthy.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's a stupid idea. But, some feel like they should agree with because then it would be like we are doing something to PROTECT SOCIETY!

Dobermans are just as aggressive as pits but you don't see them in the news all the time because of the stigma that has been attached to pits. It's just not news worthy.
There are a relatively insignificant number of Dobermans in this country compared to what amounts to every mixed breed over 40 pounds with a smooth coat and a wide skull.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Of this year’s now 35 fatal attacks, 20 involved one or more pit bulls, according to DogsBite. Between 1982 and 2011, pure and mixed pit bulls were responsible for 2,100 injuries, 215 deaths and 1,167 maimings, according to a study cited on the website.

The breed responsible for the second highest number of deaths, the Rottweiler, only claimed 78 lives during that time — about a third of deaths involving pit bulls.
:unsure

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Of this year’s now 35 fatal attacks, 20 involved one or more pit bulls, according to DogsBite. Between 1982 and 2011, pure and mixed pit bulls were responsible for 2,100 injuries, 215 deaths and 1,167 maimings, according to a study cited on the website.

The breed responsible for the second highest number of deaths, the Rottweiler, only claimed 78 lives during that time — about a third of deaths involving pit bulls.
That's because Rottweiler is actually a breed. A news story can call any dog a pit bull, because it's not a breed. It's a generic term.

D

Deuce

I don't buy this bullshit that people are generalizing all big dogs with similar features to pits. Their look is pretty distinguishable.

Top Bottom