Mike Zimmer Hired as DC

p1_

DCC 4Life
So the tweet is the announcement. How lackluster.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The vast majority of coaches hired in the NFL are a re-tread. That's not really an insult.

If we were to hire Bill Belichick, he'd be a re-tread. Andy Reid hired in KC was a re-tread.
Yep. And both of those guys have won SBs and won lots of playoff games…..that’s a different type of retread.

I like Zimmer, but for me it looks like another “hey we are comfortable here” Jerry/Stephen decision. Zimmer was ok in Minny but he’s no Reid or Belichick. The Zim hire really doesn’t move the needle much especially after Jerry running to every microphone he could find and proclaiming we are going all in!!! :dunce

WTFE.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yep. And both of those guys have won SBs and won lots of playoff games…..that’s a different type of retread.

I like Zimmer, but for me it looks like another “hey we are comfortable here” Jerry/Stephen decision. Zimmer was ok in Minny but he’s no Reid or Belichick. The Zim hire really doesn’t move the needle much especially after Jerry running to every microphone he could find and proclaiming we are going all in!!! :dunce

WTFE.
Reid didn't win a superbowl before he was hired in KC as a retread. And both these guys were fortunate enough to have two of the best QBs of all time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Reid didn't win a superbowl before he was hired in KC as a retread. And both these guys were fortunate enough to have two of the best QBs of all time.
It's often true that great coaches have great QB's, but not all great coaches take those great QB's to Championships.

I totally agree Reid has been fortunate, but he's also really, really good.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's often true that great coaches have great QB's, but not all great coaches take those great QB's to Championships.

I totally agree Reid has been fortunate, but he's also really, really good.
Never said he wasn't. Only that he was a "retread". And that being a retread isn't automatically a bad thing as some imply.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Never said he wasn't. Only that he was a "retread". And that being a retread isn't automatically a bad thing as some imply.
I wish our own retread HC or our QB was as good. Reid continues to improve... he's even begun (on occasion) to run the football. No wonder he's in his 4th Superbowl in the last 5 years

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish our own retread HC or our QB was as good. Reid continues to improve... he's even begun (on occasion) to run the football. No wonder he's in his 4th Superbowl in the last 5 years
I wonder if Reid and Mahomes would win Superbowls if they were in Dallas. Playing for KC is such a low pressure situation with no ownership meddling.

Dallas and Jerry is just such a difficult hurdle to clear. KC is just such a low pressure football town.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wonder if Reid and Mahomes would win Superbowls if they were in Dallas. Playing for KC is such a low pressure situation with no ownership meddling.

Dallas and Jerry is just such a difficult hurdle to clear. KC is just such a low pressure football town.
Let's turn it around, though... Would Reid win Super Bowls in KC with Dak?

Hell no. He had someone closer to Dak in Alex Smith and didn't come close. That's why they traded up for Mahomes in the first place.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I don't know but I will say I don't think Reid would have lost to GB in the playoffs at home with our current roster.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Hell no. He had someone closer to Dak in Alex Smith and didn't come close. That's why they traded up for Mahomes in the first place.

I think it's hard to say. He did go to 4 straight championship games and a super bowl with Donovan McNabb, who Dak is definitely better than.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I mean that's not really the same question. Wasn't trying to make this into another Dak debate. Dak is a better QB than Alex Smith but a worse QB than Mahomes. Any idiot knows that. And Alex Smith played far above his head under Andy Reid in KC. Alex Smith was a bust before he went to KC and did nothing after he left KC. He isn't Dak but Reid elevated his game significantly above what he would have been anywhere else.

But I ask the hypothetical mostly because I wonder how screwed we are. Give us an all time great head coach and an all time great QB talent (like in the draft) and I legitimately wonder if the atmosphere in Dallas allows for that development to ever end in a Superbowl.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know but I will say I don't think Reid would have lost to GB in the playoffs at home with our current roster.
I think Andy Reid is awesome. I also just think their is such a toxic dynamic in Dallas that creates an atmosphere that makes it really difficult for any head coach to succeed. An atmosphere that was largely created by Jerry.

We are stuck with it but I do think it's an honest question to ask. Like how doomed is Dallas? Can you replace Dak and McCarthy and have even the slightest chance at a Superbowl? Or is this bullshit culture in Dallas too much that you'll still inevitably have other players on the roster collapse in the biggest games.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Andy Reid is loved. Fuck, I even like him.

He's fat and don't give a fuck and makes fun of himself.

He's obviously an amazing football coach and holds his team accountable without being a raging dickhead.

Top Bottom