Mike Zimmer Hired as DC

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The vast majority of coaches hired in the NFL are a re-tread. That's not really an insult.

If we were to hire Bill Belichick, he'd be a re-tread. Andy Reid hired in KC was a re-tread.
I cannot recall. Were you a part of the GROZ movement?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

See? He is like Fat Mike too…all holed up on his land in Kentucky, studying up on analytics and stuff in his time away.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Another re-tread
No one should be surprised. It's what they're comfortable with.

The big problem with that is most people who are great in their industry will tell you that in order to be successful you have to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

The Cowboys have turned into one of the most risk-averse franchises in the NFL. The only risks they take now are with their 2nd round picks.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought about the same thing.

I am not going to lie, Quinn brought a brand of defensive football to Dallas that has not been seen since Gene Stallings and Thurman's Thieves. It was very exciting and it won us some games we had no business winning.

But let's be completely honest, it was not a sustainable model for defensive football when it came to playing better teams.

Quinn could fuck up a Tommy DeVito or something, but when it came to powerhouse teams, we could not compete.

Hell, even fucking Josh Dobbs had his way with it.

The turnovers were always an issue with the D under Zimmer. In Minny, it was nothing in comparison to Quinn these last few years.

Maybe that is it. All I know is that this is not what I expected to be talking about a month ago.
Al Harris may have had just as much to do with the turnovers as Quinn.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How much can any defensive Coordinator do if the offense collapses in games that are critical for a successful season?

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much can any defensive Coordinator do if the offense collapses in games that are critical for a successful season?
They can keep the offense in the game? Even if they are playing lousey it doesn't mean you can't still win with great defense. And vice versa. The defense had no business beating Seattle last year for example but great offense won that game.

It is acceptable to win a defensive battle every once in awhile. Shutting a team out while the offense hangs 40 feels a bit like empty success. But that's a little how our defense has been. They thrive off of leads and destroying one dimensional teams. I'd like to see the defense destroy someone who isn't forced to be one dimensional.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They can keep the offense in the game? Even if they are playing lousey it doesn't mean you can't still win with great defense. And vice versa. The defense had no business beating Seattle last year for example but great offense won that game.

It is acceptable to win a defensive battle every once in awhile. Shutting a team out while the offense hangs 40 feels a bit like empty success. But that's a little how our defense has been. They thrive off of leads and destroying one dimensional teams. I'd like to see the defense destroy someone who isn't forced to be one dimensional.
All probably true but to win a game you need to score points. If the offense goes into a shutdown mode and doesn't score enough the game will get out of control. The defense is going to start leaking if they have to stay on the field more than are conditioned to do. Trying to win games with the defense will eventually cause some breakdown due to fatigue from too much playing time. I know all the philosophies about defense is king but in the final analysis the offense has to be able to score more than the opponent does.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I think we are close to saying the same thing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's more McCarthy than anything. Quinn himself has said as much.
Agreed, I think I even said as much earlier in the thread.

Our turnover production really started in the second half of 2020 and then carried over under Quinn. You could argue that it was a fluke but the production over the last half of 2020 was more or less equivalent to what we had each year under Quinn.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Team laid goose eggs when he was the DC here in 2005-06. Not like anything is going to change. Just a coach that the Jones cabal feels comfortable around.
He has a better track record than you give credit. That 2003 season when Quincy made the playoffs for example, while we still ran a 4-3 (For those that want to credit Parcells) gave up the fewest yards of any defense in the NFL. 6 games alone we held the other team under 10 points.

As the Bengals defensive coordinator he won assistant coach of the year. Had defenses ranked 4th, 7th, 9th and 6th.

He is a good coordinator.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To this point I don't think we've lost anybody from the defensive staff except Quinn and Whitt, with a couple assistants interviewing in Washington but none of them are straight up position coaches.

I'll be curious to see if we just run back the same defensive staff with Zimmer as DC (i.e. keeping all of Durde, Harris, the LB coach McCarthy brought from Green Bay, etc.) or if Zimmer will bring in any of his guys.

I'd hope he'd be able to bring in a few of his assistants from Minnesota but who the hell knows with this team.

Top Bottom