Mike Zimmer Hired as DC

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
To this point I don't think we've lost anybody from the defensive staff except Quinn and Whitt, with a couple assistants interviewing in Washington but none of them are straight up position coaches.

I'll be curious to see if we just run back the same defensive staff with Zimmer as DC (i.e. keeping all of Durde, Harris, the LB coach McCarthy brought from Green Bay, etc.) or if Zimmer will bring in any of his guys.

I'd hope he'd be able to bring in a few of his assistants from Minnesota but who the hell knows with this team.
I would bet Zimmer will have limits to the jobs he has to fill. Both Durde and Harris are locks. Then it just depends on if they want to keep Sharif Floyd and Fat Mike’s LB coach.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would bet Zimmer will have limits to the jobs he has to fill. Both Durde and Harris are locks. Then it just depends on if they want to keep Sharif Floyd and Fat Mike’s LB coach.
I'd replace those two guys. Nothing personal but Zimmer is going to need some guys of his own. Those are the least impressive. Technically we probably need another secondary guy too since we lost Whitt.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd replace those two guys. Nothing personal but Zimmer is going to need some guys of his own. Those are the least impressive. Technically we probably need another secondary guy too since we lost Whitt.
How does Terence Newman suit you?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does Terence Newman suit you?
You know I was a bit of a Newman hater back when we drafted him and for years while he was here. He was a really good player. But I couldn't get over drafting a guy who was going to be a 25 year old rookie. And I was wrong on that given the length of his career. But it also always drove me nuts his lack of ball awareness. He could always stay step for step with dudes, but it felt like he never had any idea where the ball was at.

In hindsight though he was probably a better corner than I gave credit. And I was obviously wrong on the age thing. All of that being said, is he a coach? Or is it just a joke.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
In hindsight though he was probably a better corner than I gave credit. And I was obviously wrong on the age thing. All of that being said, is he a coach? Or is it just a joke.
Pretty sure he did coach for Zim at Minnesota, or at least was an unofficial assistant helper of some kind.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure he did coach for Zim at Minnesota, or at least was an unofficial assistant helper of some kind.
Yeah looks like in 2018 he did. Then in 2020 he unofficially tried out for the team again? Guy was a bit of an ageless wonder. In total played 15 years in the NFL. And did I mention he started that career and was 25 the first year?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah looks like in 2018 he did. Then in 2020 he unofficially tried out for the team again? Guy was a bit of an ageless wonder. In total played 15 years in the NFL. And did I mention he started that career and was 25 the first year?
I mean, I wasn't around here back then but I liked Newman. SBK sort of poisoned the well about him, but he was a damn good player. I remember seeing him at the 2003 training camp when he was a rookie and his athleticism and overall cover ability was light years ahead of everyone else. That word "twitchy" is big now, well he was the twitchiest player I've ever seen.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So, when's the big announcement? Now that everyone already knows.

Top Bottom