Machota: Jerry Jones doesn’t fear possibility this could be Dak Prescott’s last year with Cowboys

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
I'd like to unpack this a bit

I think the resources Jerry is spending on our current QB is already and about to become even more of a disaster, and his current shitshow of a contract is only a taste of what's to come.

I would also say that trading Dak for a bunch of picks isn't the only way (though it would be awesome if it came to pass-- about a 0.5% chance if you ask me).

We can use a regular draft pick on a solid prospect (like Penix Jr who had success at a high level at a major program) and see if he can keep it together long enough to bring playoff success to Dallas.

Hell, CJ Stroud showed it can happen fairly quickly if that player is well-supported.

Instead we keep piling money on Dak

Fricking LAZY
I find it hard to believe were going to find the next great QB with pick #24. And how many years and failed attempts did it take the Texans to get lucky and find Stroud?

Im just not a believer in this notion that moving on from Dak guarantees we immediately find the next Mahomes or Stroud. It could be 10-15 years of horror. Jerry will gamble and force the next QB on us the moment he gets a chance. Just like he did with Quincy Carter.

And is this new rookie going to turn out to be as good as Dak or Romo have been? Both were top 10 QB's.

Now at 60 million per year its definitely time to think about all the things you could do with that money to improve the team.

Still, cant just lose Dak for nothing. So if we can trade him this year GREAT!!! Im all for it. But he has to agree.

Next try for me would be to give him the big money he wants without the no trade clause. Then you can trade him whenever you want.

Now what do I do if Dak only wants 60 million and wont sign without a no trade clause? Thats a tough one. I probably go for a 2 year extension at 60 million. And during that time I try to find his replacement while also trying to get him to waive his no trade clause to a team he would want to be traded to.

Bottom line is no matter how we feel about Dak his presence makes us a playoff team and a contender on a yearly basis.

This roster is just too good at the moment to go back to 8-9 win seasons or worse. Now if we were going 8-9 or worse with Dak at QB then who cares, get rid of him.

Dak was on a rookie salary scale for 5 years and Jerry still couldnt get us beyond the 2nd round.

Sadly I think were never going to win a SB until jerry is gone. Personally I think the NFC championship game is all we could ever hope for with Jerry.

Jerry had the perfect opportunity to hire Bellicheck and fire MM this year and completely whiffed. What hope to we really have with his idiot as our GM?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sadly I think were never going to win a SB until jerry is gone. Personally I think the NFC championship game is all we could ever hope for with Jerry.
NFCC is a pipe dream at this point.

CowboyRoy

Whoa An Active DCCer
It's not just lazy. It's destructive to the team, as you deplete the team of talent and resources to overpay a player who can't perform up to the standard expected based on the value of the contract.
The biggest issue is the way Jerry handles his QB as a GM. HE gives all the leverage to the QB. I like how the packers do it. Draft a guy with a high pick that can develop on the bench. But Jerry never does that. And agreeing to a no trade clause with Dak was another dumb move.

If I am GM I am drafting a QB every few years when I see a guy I really like. Always competition, always two young QB's developing.

Trading away the guys that want big money and keeping the best young ones moving forward.

Top Bottom