Machota: Jerry Jones doesn’t fear possibility this could be Dak Prescott’s last year with Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones doesn’t fear possibility this could be Dak Prescott’s last year with Cowboys

PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA - NOVEMBER 05: Dak Prescott #4 of the Dallas Cowboys reacts during pregame warmups before an NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on November 5, 2023 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Ryan Kang/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota

INDIANAPOLIS — Jerry Jones appeared relaxed Friday night as he sat in a tan leather recliner aboard his luxury bus. The Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager seems to genuinely enjoy his annual NFL Scouting Combine meeting with reporters. This year was no different. He fielded questions for about 45 minutes as the bus sat parked on Missouri Street, alongside the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown.

“I’m gonna be around here a long time,” the 81-year-old Jones said about 10 minutes into his question-and-answer session. “We got a lot of years ahead of us.”

While that might be true for him, many others within the organization can’t be as confident in their own futures with the club. Following an embarrassing wild-card playoff loss to the Green Bay Packers, many are facing what could be their final year in Dallas. Head coach Mike McCarthy is entering the final year of his contract. Same for franchise quarterback Dak Prescott.

It’s unlikely that McCarthy will get a new deal before Jones can see how the 2024 season completely unfolds. Prescott is a different conversation. The Cowboys would like to get a new contract finalized with the 30-year-old QB as soon as possible, but Jones insists they can move forward under his current deal.

“We don’t need to, but we can if everybody wants to solve it,” Jones said. “If you can’t, what we have in place works. And so obviously, if you do it one way, then that gives you, you’ll be working through some of the other areas on the team in a different way. But you can’t really plan on that until you see where you are there. That’s what we’re doing.”

Under his current contract, Prescott would count $59.5 million against the team’s salary cap. Leave that as is and it’s highly unlikely Dallas would make many notable roster additions outside of next month’s draft. A new contract could make the Cowboys more of a player in acquiring veteran talent, but that’s no guarantee, either.

Allowing Prescott to play out the final year of his contract increases the chances that the upcoming season could be his last in Dallas. The Cowboys can’t franchise tag him, so he would be free to sign with any team after the season. Considering that he just played at a level where he finished runner-up for league MVP, there would likely be several teams interested in bidding against the Cowboys for his services. That might be a scary situation for some, but Jones insisted that it isn’t for him.

“I don’t fear that,” he said. “No, I do not. Because I have my mind on being better than we were last year. And that’s where the focus would be. Every player you got has some time when his contract is up. You would walk around with the shakes if you feared it. You can’t, because they all come up. They all can get hurt. They all can lose some talent. So, all of that is not fear.

“It is my job to when somebody gets hurt or when their career is at the end or when you don’t get things negotiated, it’s my job to do something else. First of all, if you really want to get it done one way, then what do you do? You compromise and do more their way. But if your decision is that is too far, it’ll cost me two guys over here, then you don’t do it. That’s every day in my life.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Cowboys' 3-round mock draft: OL, LB and RB addressed with top-100 picks

“All we need to do is see if we’re gonna try to do anything. If we’re not, then we’ll go another way.”

When does Jones need to know that information?

“Don’t need to,” he responded. “We can go another way right now. But we really want to sit down and discuss it and see how we go.”

Jones made headlines at the Senior Bowl in late January when he said the Cowboys would be “all in” during the 2024 season. Although he was asked several different ways Friday to clarify his definition of “all in,” there wasn’t much more clarity provided.

Can Dallas still be “all in” without a Prescott contract extension finalized this offseason?

“Absolutely,” Jones said. “You just have to adjust where you’re going and how you’re going all in.”

If this was to be Prescott’s final year with the Cowboys, the franchise doesn’t have an obvious succession plan in place. Jones said Friday that Cooper Rush will compete for the backup QB job with Trey Lance, who Dallas traded a fourth-round draft pick for last August. Jones also said Friday that because they are “all in” this season that it’s unlikely that they would draft a quarterback with their first-round pick (24th overall) next month. They need that pick to be a player who makes an immediate impact.

While Jones can publicly say he doesn’t fear a scenario where Prescott could potentially leave next offseason, it’s difficult to believe he’d welcome a situation like the one he faced as Troy Aikman’s career was coming to an end.

Jones has had Aikman, Tony Romo and Prescott as his franchise quarterbacks for 30 of the 35 years he has owned the franchise. During those five seasons between the end of Aikman’s career and finding Romo, Dallas averaged seven wins per season. Jones doesn’t want to experience those times again, especially with how he feels about where Prescott is at in his career.

At one point Friday night, Jones was explaining his disappointment in Dallas’ unexpected poor showing against the Packers in their season-ending loss. He noted how he is “selectively picking” the positives from last year’s third consecutive 12-win season and “being energized about those.” The first positive he mentioned: Prescott.

“I’m very pleased with how Dak progressed,” Jones said. “I am not to the stage of saying, ‘Well, I’ve had it. I’m fed up in any way with Dak.’ What I’m encouraged by is that by all accounts and everybody around him, including him, believe that he’s going to be better and is getting better. That’s really a positive thing when you consider he’s an (eight-year) veteran.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Feh. This is all bluster to try to negotiate through the media. Prior to the past week or so all their rhetoric has been that he'll be extended eventually.

The problem is they tried the same bullshit last time and made the contract way worse in the end.

If they were actually willing to walk away and move on from him that would be different but we all know (including Dak's camp) that's not true so Dak's agent will call their bluff and Dak will get even more than what he wants in the end.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feh. This is all bluster to try to negotiate through the media. Prior to the past week or so all their rhetoric has been that he'll be extended eventually.

The problem is they tried the same bullshit last time and made the contract way worse in the end.

If they were actually willing to walk away and move on from him that would be different but we all know (including Dak's camp) that's not true so Dak's agent will call their bluff and Dak will get even more than what he wants in the end.
Yep, and it really shouldn't be that difficult. It doesn't feel like other teams struggle this much with these types of contracts. They just get announced and are done.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don’t fear it either. 9 years is enough .
We tried, it didn’t work.

But he’s better than Antonio Wright.

If we can’t watch the Cowboys ever win a Superbowl because we’re stuck with Jerry and Dak, then at least we can enjoy them winning regular season games.

Yes, it’s come to this. I love the NFL and (God help me) the damned Cowboys

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don’t fear it either. 9 years is enough .
He'd be doing us a bit of a favor if he demanded a trade but that'll never happen.

It's hilarious because Stephen thinks he's being coy and playing 3D chess in waiting things out, floating bullshit in the media, but everybody knows he isn't serious. You need to make a sacrifice every now and again to show players/agents that you'll actually tell them to fuck off, like the Chiefs did in trading Hill.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'd be doing us a bit of a favor if he demanded a trade but that'll never happen.

It's hilarious because Stephen thinks he's being coy and playing 3D chess in waiting things out, floating bullshit in the media, but everybody knows he isn't serious. You need to make a sacrifice every now and again to show players/agents that you'll actually tell them to fuck off, like the Chiefs did in trading Hill.
I get the threat of keeping him for one more year to keep a possible trade alive but the Cowboys aren't doing that. They will legit keep him for one year and then get nothing in return next offseason because someone else will give him the 60 mil per year. You have no ability to use the franchise tag (its in his contract) so the best you can hope for at that point is the third round comp pick.

So you can trade him now with Dak knowing he can get a big contract from the team you trade him to or you can actually get a contract done. The keeping him for one more year under this contract is by far the worst option. The benefit of Dak accepting a trade is he gets the money now. And he doesn't have to risk a subpar season next year that could bring his value down.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

With the no-trade clause we have no shot unless someone out there goes full-on Cleveland and pays a premium for exclusive negotiating rights.

I look at it differently. We can play him just this year and let him walk in 2025 (pocketing a nice compensatory pick too), or keep doubling down on this insanity.

I'd rather give it this one shot with no restructuring, then outbid folks in 2025 if he wins the Superbowl or something close. If he fails to win it all, then draft a guy or sign a journeyman in 2025.

But if we commit to three more years at 60million per right now, it's hard to see how we're not fucking idiots.

While that does position us to go "all-in" for 2024, if we don't win the Superbowl then were not only cap-crippled for the following three years we're also stuck with a guy who's failed 10 years in a row since winning the division as a rookie.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
With the no-trade clause we have no shot unless someone out there goes full-on Cleveland and pays a premium for exclusive negotiating rights.

I look at it differently. We can play him just this year and let him walk in 2025 (pocketing a nice compensatory pick too), or keep doubling down on this insanity.

I'd rather give it this one shot with no restructuring, then outbid folks in 2025 if he wins the Superbowl or something close. If he fails to win it all, then draft a guy or sign a journeyman in 2025.

But if we commit to three more years at 60million per right now, it's hard to see how we're not fucking idiots.

While that does position us to go "all-in" for 2024, if we don't win the Superbowl then were not only cap-crippled for the following three years we're also stuck with a guy who's failed 10 years in a row since winning the division as a rookie.
I wouldn't give him 60M over 3 years under any circumstances. 60M/year over 7 years where it's really probably only about a 4 year deal averaging about 45-50/year?

I'd strongly consider that in an attempt to actually go "all in" by making some legitimate moves in FA, although the team obviously will never do that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't give him 60M over 3 years under any circumstances. 60M/year over 7 years where it's really probably only about a 4 year deal averaging about 45-50/year?

I'd strongly consider that in an attempt to actually go "all in" by making some legitimate moves in FA, although the team obviously will never do that.
Not while they're bending over as Dak and his agent take turns. We are terrible at negotiating, especially when we've bought our own bullshit that we miraculously found a franchise QB in the 4th round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sort of the same way Hurts signed 5 years at 255 mil and yet never costs 50 mil until 2028.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Yep, and it really shouldn't be that difficult. It doesn't feel like other teams struggle this much with these types of contracts. They just get announced and are done.
True, but holding court with reporters and putting on an act of being savvy and inscrutable keeps Jerry in the headlines, and that 's all he cares about. Just getting the contract done has no suspense or drama to it, it's not a cliffhanger, and that's what Jerry loves.

It's just one of the reasons why he is such a sorry-ass miserable fucking excuse for a GM.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
I get the threat of keeping him for one more year to keep a possible trade alive but the Cowboys aren't doing that. They will legit keep him for one year and then get nothing in return next offseason because someone else will give him the 60 mil per year. You have no ability to use the franchise tag (its in his contract) so the best you can hope for at that point is the third round comp pick.

So you can trade him now with Dak knowing he can get a big contract from the team you trade him to or you can actually get a contract done. The keeping him for one more year under this contract is by far the worst option. The benefit of Dak accepting a trade is he gets the money now. And he doesn't have to risk a subpar season next year that could bring his value down.
The "fucking idiots" part of it is a given.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The smart move is to walk away from him. Trade him, actually, would be the best, if you could.

We've gotten like 20 years of quality QB play from a single fourth round pick and I'm supposed to be scared that we'll never recover if we let him go.

We have wasted more time with a QB that can't get over the hump than it would take us to find an upgrade if we really tried.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
If the rumor is true that we aren't extending him and are going to let him play out the final year of his deal, then we're finally doing something smart. Tethering ourselves to another bad contract for multiple years and not benefitting in the playoffs is stupid. Refusing to extend him also prevents him from having more contractual leverage over the team. At some point, you need to cut the cord and keep the player in the appropriate place at the negotiating table. Dak has way too much leverage, so we should take it in the shorts now to ensure that we don't keep taking it down the road.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The smart move is to walk away from him. Trade him, actually, would be the best, if you could.

We've gotten like 20 years of quality QB play from a single fourth round pick and I'm supposed to be scared that we'll never recover if we let him go.

We have wasted more time with a QB that can't get over the hump than it would take us to find an upgrade if we really tried.
Jerry doesn’t have time to wait for some young gun not named Stroud to get this roster beyond the first round . Jer gotta short lease.

shane

DCC 4Life
If the rumor is true that we aren't extending him and are going to let him play out the final year of his deal, then we're finally doing something smart. Tethering ourselves to another bad contract for multiple years and not benefitting in the playoffs is stupid. Refusing to extend him also prevents him from having more contractual leverage over the team. At some point, you need to cut the cord and keep the player in the appropriate place at the negotiating table. Dak has way too much leverage, so we should take it in the shorts now to ensure that we don't keep taking it down the road.
Would be great to not extend Dak and then take someone like JJ McCarthy or another solid QB prospect in the 1st round if they drop. Put his ass on notice and see what he’s made of.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Would be great to not extend Dak and then take someone like JJ McCarthy or another solid QB prospect in the 1st round if they drop. Put his ass on notice and see what he’s made of.
I wholeheartedly agree, but I don't want JJ McCarthy. I love that he helped us win the National Championship, but I don't see the qualities that a player needs to succeed at the NFL level. Also, I think we'd ride with Trey Lance rather than drafting a QB...unless Minnesota offers us a 2nd round pick for him. Then I'd dump him.

Top Bottom