LOL @ the Giants

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I really wonder sometimes why teams don't bring in a mathematician or economics expert to run the cap. I don't believe that Stephen has any clue about how to actually take advantage of the modern day NFL salary cap.
Teams have already started going down this route.

The Steelers hired a GM last year whose background is in business admin & analytics.

And the Browns brought the 'Moneyball' GM Paul Depodesta into their front office a few years back.

1bigfan13

Staff member

Right on cue.
Convenient of RGIII to leave out that important piece of context about Lamar wanting a fully guaranteed contract.

That's the hang up. Point blank. Period. The end.

It's not about no one wanting Lamar or a black/white issue.

They just don't want to follow the idiotic example of one of the league's worst ran franchises. The Cleveland Browns have been a colossal failure for the better part of the past quarter century yet people have the nerve to be upset that other teams don't want to follow their example.

GTFOH with that noise.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Teams have already started going down this route.

The Steelers hired a GM last year whose background is in business admin & analytics.

And the Browns brought the 'Moneyball' GM Paul Depodesta into their front office a few years back.
Moneyball and that shit simply does not equate in the NFL.

Hell, I don't even think it was proven in MLB.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Moneyball and that shit simply does not equate in the NFL.

Hell, I don't even think it was proven in MLB.
I don't think it was proven in baseball either. They (the Oakland A's) never even made it to the World Series. They were competitive but that was in large part due to the great pitching staff they had in the early 2000s.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Right, the biggest message of moneyball was the importance of OBP, which Ted Williams was talking about 50 and more years ago.

Hell, even our little league coaches who always told us, "A walk's as good as a hit" knew it. :lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Right, the biggest message of moneyball was the importance of OBP, which Ted Williams was talking about 50 and more years ago.

Hell, even our little league coaches who always told us, "A walk's as good as a hit" knew it. :lol

The message of moneyball was not OBP.

It was about holes (undervalued assets) in the market. OBP was a representative of that because it happened to be undervalued at the time.

The point was that when you are a small market team and can't compete cash wise with big money teams, to field a competitive team you have to find cheaper (undervalued) good players.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The message of moneyball was not OBP.

It was about holes (undervalued assets) in the market. OBP was a representative of that because it happened to be undervalued at the time.

The point was that when you are a small market team and can't compete cash wise with big money teams, to field a competitive team you have to find cheaper (undervalued) good players.
Gallo isn't it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Can’t this guy see the writing on the wall? There will be no giant RB contracts post Elliott. He needs to take that franchise money and run (literally).

Especially heading into a RB-rich draft
Same with Ekeler.

Top Bottom