LOL @ the Giants

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The giants really are in the Cowboys/Dak, Redskins/Cousins situation. Stuck between two bad choices. Let the QB walk and you have literally nothing or way way way overpay him and wreck your cap situation.

And in a weird way both decisions are likely to be a mistake. It's rough paying that much of your cap space to a guy who might not even be in the top half of QBs in the league. On the other hand he's good enough for you to be competitive. So if you say he's not worth it and just let him walk, look at Washington. Cousins probably wasn't "worth it", but it's been working out way better for Minnesota than Washington (obviously Washington being poorly run doesn't help). Washington even used a first to try to find a replacement and that didn't work out either. QBs are really hard to find.

This is how the QB money leaguewide gets fucked too. Because if Daniel Jones is worth 45 mil, then Mahomes is worth 90.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The giants really are in the Cowboys/Dak, Redskins/Cousins situation. Stuck between two bad choices. Let the QB walk and you have literally nothing or way way way overpay him and wreck your cap situation.
It is a bad situation, but I'd probably pay him. I bet you could get something that sounds big and good to the agent and the player, but that you can get out of in a couple of years. Something sort of like (in principle) what Tannehill signed.

I mean he is very talented IMO and did show tremendous improvement this year. Give him another year or two away from Garrett and see what happens.

Genghis Khan

This is exactly why you keep Dak for now. People talking about trading him or outright releasing him are ding dongs. You can't just go out a grab another QB.

That's right. The roster is too good to start over. Which is what you're doing if you move on from Dak. They can win with Dak if they get some balls and add a few more pieces. You don't start over when you're close.

Genghis Khan

It is a bad situation, but I'd probably pay him. I bet you could get something that sounds big and good to the agent and the player, but that you can get out of in a couple of years. Something sort of like (in principle) what Tannehill signed.

I mean he is very talented IMO and did show tremendous improvement this year. Give him another year or two away from Garrett and see what happens.

I agree with paying him. I'd rather be Minnesota than Washington. It's just a rock and a hard place situation to be in.

Personally I think he's already pretty close to his ceiling but I guess we'll see.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's right. The roster is too good to start over. Which is what you're doing if you move on from Dak. They can win with Dak if they get some balls and add a few more pieces. You don't start over when you're close.
Dare I say, push some cap money into the future, spend above your means for a couple years and if doesn't work break it down and start over. That's what you need to do. The Cowboys won't though. And they will keep overpaying other players on the roster so that they can't even add talent anywhere but through the draft.

If it doesn't work, then you are starting over with a young QB costing you a few million. Suddenly that money you pushed out doesn't impact you much because you're dumping salary to rebuild anyway. Plus 10 mil of the cap 3 years from now is less than 10 mil against the cap today. It's no different than inflation. Cap goes up every year so push the money out. It's like getting an interest free loan.

Genghis Khan

Dare I say, push some cap money into the future, spend above your means for a couple years and if doesn't work break it down and start over.

That ABSOLUTELY should be the plan. Sell out for the next five years or so and push your chips in. That's probably around Dak's window anyway given his age.

Plus 10 mil of the cap 3 years from now is less than 10 mil against the cap today. It's no different than inflation. Cap goes up every year so push the money out. It's like getting an interest free loan.

This is a huge point that doesn't get discussed enough and these jethroes are too dumb (and cheap) to comprehend.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a huge point that doesn't get discussed enough and these jethroes are too dumb (and cheap) to comprehend.
I really wonder sometimes why teams don't bring in a mathematician or economics expert to run the cap. I don't believe that Stephen has any clue about how to actually take advantage of the modern day NFL salary cap.

Genghis Khan

I really wonder sometimes why teams don't bring in a mathematician or economics expert to run the cap. I don't believe that Stephen has any clue about how to actually take advantage of the modern day NFL salary cap.

Yep I've said the same thing. It would be a relatively cheap way to maximize your use of the cap.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Didn't you know he has a chemical engineering degree? He's practically a genius.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Top Bottom