LOL @ the Giants

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dumb take.
Not really.

People seem to think that the NFL's goalposts don't constantly move in terms of signing QBs.

Guys like Brady and Mahomes broke the mold. They signed these deals which weren't cap-crippling. That is because they had a good relationship with ownership and how much they were willing to invest in them as players (and probably some side deals somewhere, just think of it as an NFL NIL).

Quick, do you remember who the highest-paid QB was a year ago? Two years ago? It doesn't matter. It is a fable, just like the salary cap.

The needle moves every year as the cap grows. You can manipulate it all how you want. It is in the ether. You just have to be willing to spend the capital and deal with consequences of errors.

I am going to insult you here, but to say that is a dumb take means you subscribe to the idea that you can't win paying a QB...just like what Jerry said the other day and Goof Son has repeated countless times about the impact of the salary cap pie.

That's the damn market. It is what it is.

What you do know that built-in price of a competent QB is what matters. Or you can make excuses.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually don't think Daniel Jones is a competent QB. People say they are making the same mistake we made with Dak. But Dak is a better QB. Plain and simple.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I actually don't think Daniel Jones is a competent QB. People say they are making the same mistake we made with Dak. But Dak is a better QB. Plain and simple.
Daboll made some serious strides with him.

Don't get me wrong, he is still a dork. And they made a mistake by signing him to this based of a classically decent season.

But "competent"? Yeah, I think he was at least that this past season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daboll made some serious strides with him.

Don't get me wrong, he is still a dork. And they made a mistake by signing him to this based of a classically decent season.

But "competent"? Yeah, I think he was at least that this past season.
Yeah Daboll was able to make him serviceable. I don't consider that to be competent. To me it was manufactured production. And by that it was still only 15 TD passes and 3200 yards. Is that really what we call competent?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not really.

People seem to think that the NFL's goalposts don't constantly move in terms of signing QBs.

Guys like Brady and Mahomes broke the mold. They signed these deals which weren't cap-crippling. That is because they had a good relationship with ownership and how much they were willing to invest in them as players (and probably some side deals somewhere, just think of it as an NFL NIL).

Quick, do you remember who the highest-paid QB was a year ago? Two years ago? It doesn't matter. It is a fable, just like the salary cap.

The needle moves every year as the cap grows. You can manipulate it all how you want. It is in the ether. You just have to be willing to spend the capital and deal with consequences of errors.

I am going to insult you here, but to say that is a dumb take means you subscribe to the idea that you can't win paying a QB...just like what Jerry said the other day and Goof Son has repeated countless times about the impact of the salary cap pie.

That's the damn market. It is what it is.

What you do know that built-in price of a competent QB is what matters. Or you can make excuses.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm not going to insult you by saying you already know that.

For the record I think the Jones contract is worse than the Dak contract, simply because Jones isn't nearly as good.

But the one doesn't validate the other.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm not going to insult you by saying you already know that.

For the record I think the Jones contract is worse than the Dak contract, simply because Jones isn't nearly as good.

But the one doesn't validate the other.
Yeah one fuckup doesn't make another fuckup ok. That's faulty logic. But I also don't think Daks contract was a fuckup. The fuckup was not doing that contract with Dak sooner. When we could have had it cheaper and had more leverage to negotiate a longer deal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

It seems this has now become a lightning rod for implying race is an issue. Predictable and it only took a few hours.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah Daboll was able to make him serviceable. I don't consider that to be competent. To me it was manufactured production. And by that it was still only 15 TD passes and 3200 yards. Is that really what we call competent?
Dak is significantly better than Jones who is closer to a guy like Heinicke than he is Dak if we're being honest. That playoff game against a horrendous Vikings defense kind of shot his value up but 15 TDs and a sub-7 YPA over 16 games is laughably bad.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I was about to respond with the same. It's better than "No offense, but".

That whole post was a bullshit excuse to go on a tirade about the team's lack of spending based on a false premise that the QB's contract inhibits them. I don't disagree with any of that and I'm sure booze knows it but he was bound and determined to intentionally twist my meaning so that he could make his point.

But he was honest about insulting me I guess, so I have that going for me. Which is nice.

Top Bottom