LOL @ The Eagles

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not familiar with QBR, but I doubt 54.6 being a stratosphere better than 48.5

Well Daks is 11th in the NFL and Hurts is 19th. So obviously it is a pretty large difference. QBR is never really explained beyond it goes 0-100 and takes into account running and other things.

To bring home the point that maybe it's not that great of a stat Burrow is 12th last season.

data

Forbes #1
Well Daks is 11th in the NFL and Hurts is 19th. So obviously it is a pretty large difference. QBR is never really explained beyond it goes 0-100 and takes into account running and other things.

To bring home the point that maybe it's not that great of a stat Burrow is 12th last season.
Agreed. Dak is obviously better. At least a tier better.

This algorithm needs work or the grading scale needs to be stretched out. It’s not intuitive.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
The stratosphere comment was Aikman/Hurts.

Try and keep up.
No, you’re solo with the lap running. I’m not gettin roped into the Aikman vs Hurts ludicre. :lol

My stratosphere comment is solely about questioning the QBR metric since Dak and Jalen score seemingly close, but Dak is a stratosphere above Jalen.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Agreed. Dak is obviously better. At least a tier better.

This algorithm needs work or the grading scale needs to be stretched out. It’s not intuitive.

QBR is terrible. It's even worse than QB rating, which itself isn't great. I don't know why anyone would give QBR any credence whatsoever.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
QBR is terrible. It's even worse than QB rating, which itself isn't great. I don't know why anyone would give QBR any credence whatsoever.
I mean I appreciate some aspects of it. I mean if my QB runs in for a TD from the one yard line I've never understood why they shouldn't get that benefit as opposed to throwing a 1 yard TD pass. I think QBR accounts for that type of stuff. But I think they also throw in a bunch of subjective stats that make it unreliable. It's not a formula that they ever fully release or explain so it's hard for me to really say much more than that. I just don't think it's always the most reliable.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
54 vs 48 happens to be 8 rungs higher, sounds about right. I mean, there are only 32 starters.

What's interesting is Dak being 11 spots from the top, maybe as far as he's ever been.

I think that is much more accurate than going by the Cowboys offensive stats, for example.

The stat-padding Cowboys would have you believe they are the league's greatest offense. I would agree they are when they are stat-padding.

In critical situations with the game or season on the line, they are less clutch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
54 vs 48 happens to be 8 rungs higher, sounds about right. I mean, there are only 32 starters.

What's interesting is Dak being 11 spots from the top, maybe as far as he's ever been.

I think that is much more accurate than going by the Cowboys offensive stats, for example.

The stat-padding Cowboys would have you believe they are the league's greatest offense. I would agree they are when they are stat-padding.

In critical situations with the game or season on the line, they are less clutch.
It was the lowest QBR of his career. My guess is it has a lot to do with the lack of running with him. Lowest amount of rushing TD's in his career. Lowest average YPC of his career. And the least amount of rushes in a full season by Dak as well. Like I said, the stat takes into consideration rushing by a QB. And last year the Cowboys put the handcuffs on Dak.

Conversely it was the highest QB rating of Daks career at 104.2. Most passing TD's and highest completion percentage in a season for Dak as well. So it kind of highlights the major difference between the statistics.

Genghis Khan

I mean I appreciate some aspects of it. I mean if my QB runs in for a TD from the one yard line I've never understood why they shouldn't get that benefit as opposed to throwing a 1 yard TD pass. I think QBR accounts for that type of stuff. But I think they also throw in a bunch of subjective stats that make it unreliable. It's not a formula that they ever fully release or explain so it's hard for me to really say much more than that. I just don't think it's always the most reliable.

I think they way overemphasize QB running. I just don't think it's important to being a QB. You can be a great QB and never run, but you literally can't be a QB at all if you never pass. Passing is just a million times more important for a QB.

In your scenario, yes I think a one yard pass normally takes infinitely more skill than a 1 yard QB run. I'd prefer the QB's 1 yard run and TD not be counted in his rating, yes. It tells you almost nothing about how well the QB is performing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your scenario, yes I think a one yard pass normally takes infinitely more skill than a 1 yard QB run. I'd prefer the QB's 1 yard run and TD not be counted in his rating, yes. It tells you almost nothing about how well the QB is performing.
So a QB rolls out of the pocket at the one yard line. He can just walk it in or throw a pass. Which would you prefer? I'd say walk it in so I don't have the risks involved with that pass. I don't think a QB should essentially be punished for making the smart decision.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We're jumping to conclusions a bit that QBR is over-emphasizing running.

Tom Brady's QBR since joining the Bucs has been 66.0 and 68.1 and at the peak of his career 87.0 (2007) and 79.4 (2016). Brady ain't no runner.

I don't think it's that the QBR emphasizes running, but more that running made Dak a more effective QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Tom Brady's QBR since joining the Bucs has been 66.0 and 68.1 and at the peak of his career 87.0 (2007) and 79.4 (2016). Brady ain't no runner.

I don't think it's that the QBR emphasizes running, but more that running made Dak a more effective QB.
Well running isn't the only thing it accounts for. I think it also dings players for taking sacks for example. Joe Burrow is probably rated where he is because he took like 70 sacks last season. Tom Brady while he doesn't run for many yards, took a grand total of 22 sacks last year. The guy just rarely gets sacked.

Genghis Khan

So a QB rolls out of the pocket at the one yard line. He can just walk it in or throw a pass. Which would you prefer? I'd say walk it in so I don't have the risks involved with that pass. I don't think a QB should essentially be punished for making the smart decision.

Walk it in but I don't think that's an indication of how well he's playing. Just like if the QB audibles to a handoff it might be the smart play and simultaneously hurt his passing stats. That doesn't mean he should get statistical credit for handing it off.

Genghis Khan

If it factors in running at all, and it does, it overemphasizes it in my mind.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If it factors in running at all, and it does, it overemphasizes it in my mind.
I’ll wager I factors in where a QB running makes a difference, like rushes for first downs.

QB’s like Aaron Rodgers did it well in his prime, Lamar Jackson does it too much. But QBR doesn’t judge run vs pass, it just measures plays the QB impacted.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not last year but in general QBR has loved Lamar Jackson for a reason.
Because he gets it done. You’re really just talking about 2019, and he got much more love from QBR for throwing 36 TDs vs 6 interceptions than rushing for 7.

Again, QBR credits big key plays, it doesn’t care how you get them. It credits garbage time stats less as well, and I definitely appreciate that.

Top Bottom