jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Pretty damn cool of the Mavs.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Altobelli’s brother, Tony, got a text message that Bryant died in a helicopter crash. So he texted Orange Coast College women’s basketball coach Sammy Doucette who had been with Kobe Bryant’s Mamba Sports Academy before going to OCC. “She said it might be true,” Altobelli said.

“Then her next question was, ‘Have you heard from your brother?’ and I was confused. She explained he goes on chopper rides with Kobe.”

Altobelli was unsuccessful trying to contact Pirates baseball coaches until he reached assistant coach Tim Matz. “He could barely get a word in,” Altobelli said. “He just said, ‘They’re gone.’”

-----------
None of us know any of these people, but, man, my chest caved reading those words as you instantly become the brother, Tony. To go from losing a friend [Kobe] to finding out that your brother might've been with him and then getting confirmation of the worst-case scenario.

That's awful.

This story just gets worse and worse.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
The Grizzlies-Suns game and the Hawks-Wizards game found another way to pay tribute to the fallen legend. Instead of taking a pair of 24-second violations, the Suns and Hawks took 8-second backcourt violations in honor of the number Kobe wore for his first 10 years in the NBA.

Cotton

Staff member

This one is going to take some time to get over. My god.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
This is absolutely incredible.

data

Forbes #1

Pretty damn cool of the Mavs.
Kinda weird, no? It's Cuban's franchise, though, and he's welcome to do it. I have no angst about it. Just kinda odd.

God forbid, but if another NBA non-Maverick passes away, is retiring their number the precedent for the Mavericks?

It'd make more sense if, again, God forbid, if, say, Emmitt Smith died suddenly and they retired 22 since there's that Dallas connection.

Cotton

Staff member
Kinda weird, no? It's Cuban's franchise, though, and he's welcome to do it. I have no angst about it. Just kinda odd.

God forbid, but if another NBA non-Maverick passes away, is retiring their number the precedent for the Mavericks?

It'd make more sense if, again, God forbid, if, say, Emmitt Smith died suddenly and they retired 22 since there's that Dallas connection.
I don't think it's weird at all. Awesome would be the exact word I would use to describe it.

data

Forbes #1
One of the most interesting takes on Kobe Bryant these last 24 hours -- and I forgot who said it -- discusses why this passing has hit the world so hard. I'll try to summarize here...

During his career, Kobe was polarizing. He didn't have the street cred that Allen Iverson had. Pro-Jordan fans hated on Kobe. He was criticized for being a ballhog and bad teammate. Hell, he's a Los Angeles Laker which comes with its own innate disdain. Of course, there was the sex scandal.

Yet, since Kobe's retirement, his image humanized from a ruthless, merciless basketball assassin to a loving father with grand beyond-basketball aspirations, illustrated with his Oscar win. Always seen with a smile, watching his girls play basketball...supporting women's basketball through his Mamba Basketball Academy.

He was hated during his NBA career for his take-no-prisoners, you're-not-my-friend focus and competitive spirit, but all haters respected his achievements. His ability to achieve and win was inevitable.

Now, post-NBA-career, even the haters become fans as we all were on the same team, humans united, and began to anticipate what inevitable achievements we could enjoy, now a team member, as a result from that same focus and competitive spirit.

We'll never know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom