Jimmy Johnson inducted into the Hall of Fame

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Here's the announcement they made at halftime of the Packers/Seabag game:

As some "wise" old sage pointed out in another thread, Aikman doesnt like Jimmy and held a grudge against him and apparently its never gone away. You can see the disgust on Aikman's face as he watches Jimmy get the news.

Its a miracle those two ever won anything together.

Read this for yourself. Aikman did have a lot of resentment about Johnson bringing in Walsh. Maybe he eventually got over it but there was friction in their relationship.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Aikman and Jimmy buried the hatchet before 1992.

He personally tried to mend Jimmy and Jerry’s falling out in early 94 and even filmed commercials with Jimmy after he left Dallas.

He took Garrett to Jimmy’s home and they went out on his boat to drink beers and talk coaching. Jimmy would never have done that for Garrett without Troy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Aikman and Jimmy buried the hatchet before 1992.

He personally tried to mend Jimmy and Jerry’s falling out in early 94 and even filmed commercials with Jimmy after he left Dallas.

He took Garrett to Jimmy’s home and they went out on his boat to drink beers and talk coaching. Jimmy would never have done that for Garrett without Troy.
“I had turned him down twice already. So it created a little bit of a friction between us that took a few years to overcome."

The above is how Aikman replied about his relationship with Johnson initially and the Walsh deal. A few years most probably ran past 1992.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wonder how much does the ‘what if Jimmy stayed’ eats at Jimmy.

If he could go Back to the Future and talk to Jimmy 1994, would he advise to make it work with Jerruh or continue with parting ways.
Upon hearing the story that someone posted in here from a book excerpt, I'm not even sure the 1994 Jimmy as he exists in our timeline really wanted to leave, at least not at that point in time.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Lookit, I love Jimmy Johnson. My favorite coach of all-time.

But even I question his HOF induction. Seems to be a very short career. 4 years. Yeah, nothing he did for the Dolphins contributes to his HOF election. If he’s Hall of Famer worthy now, he’s HOF worthy even if he never coached the Dolphins. In comparison, though, to all the other coaches, just seems like a short career.

Now, this was before Cowher was inducted. If Cowher is inducted, this re-establishes the bar and Jimmy is in front of Cowher.
You can't tell the story of the NFL without Jimmy.

The early 1990s were the story of the Dallas Cowboys. They were the team of the decade until Jerry ruined it.

Just like the coaches of the team of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, and as the team of the 00's will someday be, all the coaches of those teams of the decade are in the HOF. Jimmy needs to be there even though his owner screwed up what would have surely been four SB rings to match the Niners and Steelers.

data

Forbes #1
Hell, Jimmy Johnson may be the only HOFer excluded from his own team’s ROH.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jimmy was the architect of arguably the most dominant team of all-time. To me, you can't say a team on a 20-year run like the Patriots is the most dominant "team", you can't equate the 2004 Patriots to the 2018 Patriots and just lump them in as the same team.

Most dominant organization, sure. Most dominant run in NFL history, sure, but to me when talking about dominant teams you can only measure about 4-6 years at a time given how much turnover naturally occurs.

Just because there are 6 players on the 2018 Patriots remaining from the 2007 team doesn't mean it's the same team, they're completely different and should be treated as such.

So with that in mind, I think there is an argument that the 1992-95 Cowboys were the most dominant team of all time, and certainly in the top 3-4. Considering that Jimmy was the architect of that there's no question he should be in.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well deserved, to be sure.

vince

Not So New Member
And that should be embarrassing to Jerry at this point. Hopefully the election to the HOF spurs him on.
Pretty pointless at this point. Jimmy might give JJ the finger if he offers it to him now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Pretty pointless at this point. Jimmy might give JJ the finger if he offers it to him now.
I completely disagree that it's pointless now.

The fans have a right to see a place of honor for their team's greats in their stadium and the owner has an obligation to provide it.

Jerry made the HOF before Jimmy (which is a joke in itself), so he doesn't have to worry about jimmy's greatness overshadowing him. Put the bullshit aside and fucking do it. We all want to see it, and he deserves it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
As an aside, I sometimes forget that Jimmy immediately followed Landry. It's really hard to follow a legend let alone do it successfully. Yet Johnson did it, and equalled Landry's trophy collection in 5 years. Pretty amazing.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
What a wonderful counterpoint and contrast that will be: The architect of the Cowboys' last days of glory, spanning four years, with the architect of the Cowboys' prolonged futility, spanning a quarter century. I hope that burns a hole in Jerry's stomach lining.

Jimmy's exclusion from the ROH will only highlight what an asshole Jerry is.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I completely disagree that it's pointless now.

The fans have a right to see a place of honor for their team's greats in their stadium and the owner has an obligation to provide it.

Jerry made the HOF before Jimmy (which is a joke in itself), so he doesn't have to worry about jimmy's greatness overshadowing him. Put the bullshit aside and fucking do it. We all want to see it, and he deserves it.
Jerry made it for being the league's premier carnival barker and huckster, not for anything having to do with X's and O's, or winning, or actual football. The NFL's popularity took off and Jerry had enough animal cunning to ride the wave, extorting the networks and putting a lot of money in the pockets of his fellow owners. They had to vote him in as payback.

The fact that an NFL game today is no longer just a football game but an over-the-top entertainment spectacle is due largely to Jerry. The Cowboys brand is a prime example. The team sucks, but the carnival barker still pulls in the rubes.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Upon hearing the story that someone posted in here from a book excerpt, I'm not even sure the 1994 Jimmy as he exists in our timeline really wanted to leave, at least not at that point in time.
He was looking at Tampa Bay at the time, he really hates not being in Florida.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He was flirting with the Jacksonville job during the second SB, which pissed off Jerry to no end.

Top Bottom