Jimmy Johnson inducted into the Hall of Fame

data

Forbes #1
Jerry made it for being the league's premier carnival barker and huckster, not for anything having to do with X's and O's, or winning, or actual football. The NFL's popularity took off and Jerry had enough animal cunning to ride the wave, extorting the networks and putting a lot of money in the pockets of his fellow owners. They had to vote him in as payback.

The fact that an NFL game today is no longer just a football game but an over-the-top entertainment spectacle is due largely to Jerry. The Cowboys brand is a prime example. The team sucks, but the carnival barker still pulls in the rubes.
Major props.

I like to tell other teams’ fans bitching about ticket prices, PSLs and moving to LA/Vegas that they can thank Jerry Jones.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jerry made it for being the league's premier carnival barker and huckster, not for anything having to do with X's and O's, or winning, or actual football. The NFL's popularity took off and Jerry had enough animal cunning to ride the wave, extorting the networks and putting a lot of money in the pockets of his fellow owners. They had to vote him in as payback.

The fact that an NFL game today is no longer just a football game but an over-the-top entertainment spectacle is due largely to Jerry. The Cowboys brand is a prime example. The team sucks, but the carnival barker still pulls in the rubes.
In the final analysis every sports franchise is a business. If the money pursuit was removed from the “sport” there would be little interest in the entire system. It’s the hoopla and carnival atmosphere that makes fans want to attend the games be it football or prize fighting. Turn the events into a pure sports occasion and you will dry up the attendance then it will become a small event that interests only the purest fans. These fans won’t care if any money is made and when that happens the athletes will not be able to get the big paydays and do something else. It’s money that drives the system and creates big centers for all the extravaganzas that excites people and make them willing to spend the big bucks that feed the system and enables the athletes to live like kings. There is no substitute for building sports interest if there isn’t money involved.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter

Read this for yourself. Aikman did have a lot of resentment about Johnson bringing in Walsh. Maybe he eventually got over it but there was friction in their relationship.
Contrary to your implication, it was short and sweet and didn't last. He's certainly not still bitter toward anyone but the dumbass owner who has ruined the Cowboys since he ran off Jimmy. He and all fans have a right to be bitter, upset, angry or whatever adjective you like toward the man who has ruined Cowboy football for 24+ years.

Damn whistleblowers, they're all a bunch of bitter assholes

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Upon hearing the story that someone posted in here from a book excerpt, I'm not even sure the 1994 Jimmy as he exists in our timeline really wanted to leave, at least not at that point in time.
I dont think he was planning on staying that much longer but I strongly believe he was planning on coming back for a shot at a 3-peat.

Here he is recruiting deion sanders a few weeks before he got fired

Not exactly the mindset of someone that was planning to quit

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I completely disagree that it's pointless now.

The fans have a right to see a place of honor for their team's greats in their stadium and the owner has an obligation to provide it.

Jerry made the HOF before Jimmy (which is a joke in itself), so he doesn't have to worry about jimmy's greatness overshadowing him. Put the bullshit aside and fucking do it. We all want to see it, and he deserves it.
agreed but I'd be just as happy to see a video sweeping the nation of Jimmy telling Jerry to F off and to shove his ROH up his ass

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Contrary to your implication, it was short and sweet and didn't last. He's certainly not still bitter toward anyone but the dumbass owner who has ruined the Cowboys since he ran off Jimmy. He and all fans have a right to be bitter, upset, angry or whatever adjective you like toward the man who has ruined Cowboy football for 24+ years.

Damn whistleblowers, they're all a bunch of bitter assholes
You didn’t see where Aikman stated it took “several years” for him to get over his riff with Johnson? It’s there for all the world to see and read.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I didn't even go there because he absolutely deserves it for the 3 SB wins in Dallas, and yes he get credit for Switzer's win
He was gone two seasons. His coaching prowess must not have gone with him. It stayed in Dallas and Miami struggled. Hard to reconcile.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He was gone two seasons. His coaching prowess must not have gone with him. It stayed in Dallas and Miami struggled. Hard to reconcile.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jimmy was the architect of arguably the most dominant team of all-time. To me, you can't say a team on a 20-year run like the Patriots is the most dominant "team", you can't equate the 2004 Patriots to the 2018 Patriots and just lump them in as the same team.

Most dominant organization, sure. Most dominant run in NFL history, sure, but to me when talking about dominant teams you can only measure about 4-6 years at a time given how much turnover naturally occurs.

Just because there are 6 players on the 2018 Patriots remaining from the 2007 team doesn't mean it's the same team, they're completely different and should be treated as such.

So with that in mind, I think there is an argument that the 1992-95 Cowboys were the most dominant team of all time, and certainly in the top 3-4. Considering that Jimmy was the architect of that there's no question he should be in.
Johnson had a lot to do with the 90s Cowboys but he didn’t draft Aikman and he went with Walsh initially. Additionally the Herschel Walker trade gave him a windfall of players that is very rare in football. So he had some fortuitous luck with his tenure. Who knows how much this contributed to the success of the team.

data

Forbes #1
Johnson didn’t draft Aikman. He was already tagged by Tom Landry before Jones bought the Cowboys.
What do you mean by tagged?

Landry was fired February 26th and NFL Draft was late April.

You saying Jerry & Jimmy were already committed to Aikman and couldn’t have drafted someone else or traded the #1 away?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

You saying Jerry & Jimmy were already committed to Aikman and couldn’t have drafted someone else or traded the #1 away?
You have to understand LT was raised in a different time, they tied onions on their belt

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Chosen. Landry had already determined that Aikman would be their #1 pick for Dallas When Jones bought the team he fired Landry but drafted Aikman. Johnson brought Walsh into the franchise and it cause a problem with Aikman and he almost asked to be traded.

data

Forbes #1
Chosen. Landry had already determined that Aikman would be their #1 pick for Dallas When Jones bought the team he fired Landry but drafted Aikman. Johnson brought Walsh into the franchise and it cause a problem with Aikman and he almost asked to be traded.
Thank you for clearing it up. Landry thankfully forced Aikman onto Jerry and Jimmy.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yes, because a new owner and coach have to follow what the previous coach wanted....

Are you seriously arguing this??

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
You didn’t see where Aikman stated it took “several years” for him to get over his riff with Johnson? It’s there for all the world to see and read.
Yes, I'm not denying there was initially an issue between the two, I am saying it was short lived and didn't last more than a year or 2, thus why I said:

it was short and sweet and didn't last
It was at the beginning of their relationship and didn't last and I've yet to see any evidence of any lasting issues between Jimmy and Troy beyond those first few years where it wasn't 100% clear whether Troy would be the starter. By all accounts they squashed any issues before Jimmy left the team and that's my point. Troy says as much in the article you linked:

"It impacted me being an ally for Jimmy very early on in my career. He already had a relationship with Steve because they went back to college. I had no relationship with Jimmy. I had turned him down twice already. So it created a little bit of a friction between us that took a few years to overcome."
He wouldn't say they overcame their initial tension if it was still ongoing. Jimmy called Troy into his office and said he was the QB, no more fooling around and thats when the healing (and winning) began.

The tensions reached a high point after the loss to Detroit where Troy was so mad he was about to ask for a trade but Jimmy and Troy had a meeting soon thereafter and the rest is history:

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Johnson didn’t draft Aikman. He was already tagged by Tom Landry before Jones bought the Cowboys.
LT logic:

On or about February 25th or 26th, 1989, Landry was dismissed as head coach.

On or about February 25th or 26th, 1989, Jimmy Johnson was hired as head coach.

The 1989 NFL draft was held April 23–24, 1989 and the Dallas Cowboys select Troy Aikman

= Johnson didn't draft Aikman

but this is all pointless drivel as it didn't matter who was coach or owner of the Dallas Cowboys, whomever was in charge on draft day was picking Troy Aikman with the #1 pick

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Good Lord. Any team that needed a QB was gonna take Aikman #1. It's not like Landry clued them in to an obscure prospect.

Top Bottom