Jimmy Johnson inducted into the Hall of Fame

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
"It never occurred to us to draft this Aikman fellow. Thank you, Tom!" :picard

data

Forbes #1
Good Lord. Any team that needed a QB was gonna take Aikman #1. It's not like Landry clued them in to an obscure prospect.
Magazine from September 1988...Tom Landry was a known blabbermouth.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones had some say so about Aikman being the #1 pick because Johnson wanted Walsh. Landry already had his eye on Aikman before he was fired. If it was left totally to Johnson , Walsh would have been the Quarterback for Dallas.

From Wikipedia.

As a senior, Aikman won the 1988 Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's top quarterback, a first for UCLA.[7] He was a Consensus All-American, the UPI West Coast Player of the Year, the Washington DC Club QB of the Year, a finalist for the 1988 AFCA "Coaches Choice" Player of the year award, and finished third in voting for the 1988 Heisman Trophy. UCLA matched the victory total from the previous season under Aikman, going 10–2 and losing only to USC and Washington State. The 1988 season culminated with a 17–3 Bruins victory over the Arkansas Razorbacks in the 1989 Cotton Bowl Classic, which was played in Dallas.[7] The Dallas media spent most of the Cotton Bowl Classic week promoting Aikman as the "next quarterback of the Cowboys," and much was made of Cowboys head coach Tom Landry watching Aikman practice during the Bruins' workouts at Texas Stadium. Aikman finished his career as the number

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
From Wikipedia.

As a senior, Aikman won the 1988 Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's top quarterback, a first for UCLA.[7] He was a Consensus All-American, the UPI West Coast Player of the Year, the Washington DC Club QB of the Year, a finalist for the 1988 AFCA "Coaches Choice" Player of the year award, and finished third in voting for the 1988 Heisman Trophy. UCLA matched the victory total from the previous season under Aikman, going 10–2 and losing only to USC and Washington State. The 1988 season culminated with a 17–3 Bruins victory over the Arkansas Razorbacks in the 1989 Cotton Bowl Classic, which was played in Dallas.[7] The Dallas media spent most of the Cotton Bowl Classic week promoting Aikman as the "next quarterback of the Cowboys," and much was made of Cowboys head coach Tom Landry watching Aikman practice during the Bruins' workouts at Texas Stadium. Aikman finished his career as the number two career passing
What do you think you're proving with this?

data

Forbes #1
@L.T. Fan

Not knowing he was going to get fired, Do you think Landry purposely tanked the 1988 season to draft Aikman?

Per the Los Angeles Times (not as reputable as the New York Post @mschmidt64 ), “--Aikman is avoiding the fate of most NFL top picks, who, because of the inverted nature of the draft, usually go to one of the league’s worst teams. It’s only because the Cowboys had an off year last season that they finished low enough to draft Aikman.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
@L.T. Fan

Not knowing he was going to get fired, Do you think Landry purposely tanked the 1988 season to draft Aikman?

Per the Los Angeles Times (not as reputable as the New York Post @mschmidt64 ), “--Aikman is avoiding the fate of most NFL top picks, who, because of the inverted nature of the draft, usually go to one of the league’s worst teams. It’s only because the Cowboys had an off year last season that they finished low enough to draft Aikman.”

lLandry didn’t have to tank the season. The Cowboys were a miserable team that year with little hope of getting better as long as Bum Bright was owner.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
lLandry didn’t have to tank the season. The Cowboys were a miserable team that year with little hope of getting better as long as Bum Bright was owner.
So how did Landry get to make the draft pick after he fired? I very much want to here this story, Hos

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What do you think you're proving with this?
What I have said. Aikman wasn’t a epiphany by Johnson. He was already on Landry’s radar and would have been a Cowboy had Johnson and Jones never entered the picture.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
What I have said. Aikman wasn’t a epiphany by Johnson. He was already on Landry’s radar and would have been a Cowboy had Johnson and Jones never entered the picture.
Aikman was the consensus number one pick by EVERYBODY

fucking retard

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Aikman was the consensus number one pick by EVERYBODY

fucking retard
All the more reason that Johnson wasn’t the savior. How could you give credit to Johnson as being the golden boy if everyone wanted Aikman. You are proving my point that Johnson wasn’t the franchise salvation by identifying what Landry had already tagged as the next Quarterback.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
All the more reason that Johnson wasn’t the savior. How could you give credit to Johnson as being the golden boy if everyone wanted Aikman. You are proving my point that Johnson wasn’t the franchise salvation by identifying what Landry had already tagged as the next Quarterback.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is today. Aikman had a different story when they first met Johnson and said it took him several years to get over it. His feelings today doesn’t revise established history.
Bro, please have yo kids do an Alzheimer's wellness check on you...I'm worried for you

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because he drafted a shitload of other players not named Aikman. Yes, he was lucky that a franchise QB fell into his lap, but one player does not a team make.
LT doesn't even like Aikman. Couldn't hold Romo's jock or something.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because he drafted a shitload of other players not named Aikman. Yes, he was lucky that a franchise QB fell into his lap, but one player does not a team make.
Other players are not what I have been discussing. I said Johnson deserves a lot of credit for the successes of the franchise. He simply isn’t the one that first wanted Aikman as a Cowboy.

Top Bottom