Interesting race topics . . .

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I can agree to that in principle. I think a lot of the "PC" stuff could fall by the wayside as far as I'm concerned if we could just stop the disproportionate amount of police brutality, and criminal persecution of blacks by our broken justice system. If minorities start getting treated as equals under the law, almost everything else will fall into place.
I don't think the problem is the justice system or law enforcement, I think those are red herrings. The real problem is the cycle of poverty that never seems to get broken. Until we solve that, those other symptoms will perpetuate.

Genghis Khan

How about we all just go with American, and stop making any distinctions at all?
That would be nice. I think over time those things will start to go away. Even whites still cling to, I'm Italian, I'm Irish, I'm Scottish, etc.

But I don't think Europeans do that. The French are French, even though if you trace back far enough they're German. Italians can probably trace back, if they could trace back far enough to Etruscans or Greeks or Romans or whatever. Same with just about any race and ethnicity. We'll probably get there eventually. And then we'll just be American. We're still new.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be nice. I think over time those things will start to go away. Even whites still cling to, I'm Italian, I'm Irish, I'm Scottish, etc.

But I don't think Europeans do that. The French are French, even though if you trace back far enough they're German. Italians can probably trace back, if they could trace back far enough to Etruscans or Greeks or Romans or whatever. Same with just about any race and ethnicity. We'll probably get there eventually. And then we'll just be American. We're still new.
Yeah growing up we all sort of learned what our "heritage" was based on our last name. You sort of thought of yourself as being part German or Irish or whatever based on that growing up at least.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Actually in certain parts of Europe it's pretty bad...
For you they might all be Spainards, but for them they're Basque, Catalan, etc.
Britts with Welsh, English, etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to clarify, I am German-American for everyone referring to my nationality. I've never been to Germany but because my last name is German I'll accept that as the correct term for my race.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But that's more toward clans than race.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just to clarify, I am German-American for everyone referring to my nationality. I've never been to Germany but because my last name is German I'll accept that as the correct term for my race.
Yeah. I can trace my ancestry all the way back to England in the 1300 hundreds but I have never been there. My ancestors came to America in the 1500 hundreds.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
I don't think the problem is the justice system or law enforcement, I think those are red herrings. The real problem is the cycle of poverty that never seems to get broken. Until we solve that, those other symptoms will perpetuate.
It's hard to say where one ends and the other begins. A lot of the broken justice system exploits people in poverty. A lot of the reason people get trapped in cycles of poverty is because their parents are in prison, and they're in a school to prison pipeline that will cause them to be unemployable.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah. I can trace my ancestry all the way back to England in the 1300 hundreds but I have never been there. My ancestries came to America in the 1500 hundreds.
These are redundantly repetitive.

Genghis Khan

It's hard to say where one ends and the other begins. A lot of the broken justice system exploits people in poverty. A lot of the reason people get trapped in cycles of poverty is because their parents are in prison, and they're in a school to prison pipeline that will cause them to be unemployable.
Maybe, but even in that scenario, why are the parents in prison? Maybe it's because they have nothing to lose, and that's because they are poor beyond hope.

Genghis Khan

That's a good point. But even at that, Spain assimilated as a nation later than most of Europe except Italy and Germany. And England's conquest of the isles was historically resisted. But even the English are an amalgam of Normans and anglos and Saxons and jutes and Celts and britons and probably others. But they're still English.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Not really. Part states how far back I can trace my ancestry and the other part says when they made the journey to America.
If you add two zeros to the end of two letter there is no need to add the word hundreds. :art

Besides, I just wanted to use "redundantly repetitive" since it's ironic.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If you add two zeros to the end of two letter there is no need to add the word hundreds. :art

Besides, I just wanted to use "redundantly repetitive" since it's ironic.
Well that's a point in your favor. You may keep the zeros.

townsend

Banned
Black Lives Matter Groups Are Bailing Black Women Out for Jail for Mother's Day

Charlotte Alter
May 12, 2017
When Tanisha Bynum decided to drive to the beach with a suspended license two weeks ago, she didn't know she was risking leaving her kids alone on Mother's Day. And missing her son's 3rd birthday. And skipping her daughter's kindergarten graduation.
But as Bynum, 25, drove from Alabama into Florida to head to the beach, another car ran a red light and collided with her truck, causing her to crash into a lamppost. Bynum wasn't hurt, but she was arrested for driving with a suspended license and taken to jail. She had already gotten another ticket in Florida and skipped her court date because she lived in Alabama, so the judge set bail at $10,000, with a trial set for early June. Bynum, two months pregnant and mother to four kids under 8, would have to sit in jail to wait it out.
"Those are milestones in my kids' lives," she says of the birthday and the graduation. "I didn't want to miss them because of a traffic ticket."

But on Friday, Bynum was one of hundreds of black women bailed out of jail for Mama's Bail Out Day, a Mother's Day campaign orchestrated by more than a dozen groups affiliated with Black Lives Matter. So far, social justice groups like Color of Change and Southerners on New Ground and have raised more than $550,000 to bail out black women all over the country, with $345,000 going directly to bail money and the rest spent on local organizing efforts and services for the people who have been bailed out. The Mother's Day effort is meant to call attention to how the money bail system (in which an arrested person is kept in jail awaiting trial unless they can pay a hefty bail) disproportionately affects black families and communities. These women have only been arrested — they haven't been convicted of a crime.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
90s: Snoop Dogg is a gangster thug murderer. Rap is responsible for violence.
2010s: Snoop concerts have more white people than black people.
That is kind of cool in a way how he can work it.

That fucking bitch. He was so smooth and cool about it.

He was not all political.

He just played the system. And used his blackness or stoner identity where he needed it.

I can appreciate that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The New School’s Guide To Microaggressions

by Jeff Charles | Aug 19, 2017 |    

JEFF CHARLES

Here’s a fun one for you. The New School in New York City has published a guide to microaggressions on their website. It is a wonderful way for young leftists to learn new and creative ways to be offended.

This guide teaches aspiring social justice warriors how to recognize a microaggression, respond to one, and throw wild adolescent tantrums if they experience such offense. For the students attending classes at The New School, this guide can serve as a social justice bible on which they can rely while navigating the ever-present world of racism, sexism, homophobia, and all the other isms and phobias. For starters, let’s see how the guide defines microaggressions.

For those of you who have a life, it might be necessary to educate you on the word “microaggression.” According to the New School:

Microaggression shows up as brief and commonplace verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignities, whether intentional or not, that communicate a hostile, derogatory, or negative slight or insult toward a targeted group.

In real life, a microaggression could be an unintentional social misstep. In other cases, it would be better defined by what ordinary people would call “being a jerk.” But how do you know a microaggression when you see one? For that, we can look at some examples.

The New School’s guide lists a few different types of and examples: How helpful.

girl throws ballFirst, there is the microinsult which is typically done unconsciously. An example would be a man telling a woman that she “throws well for a girl.” I know what you’re thinking, “but most women can’t throw as well as most men.” Let me explain: in the world of social justice warriors – which exists in a separate dimension where Hillary Clinton won the 2016 election – women and men are the same, which means that women can do everything men can do and vice versa. There are no differences between the male and female sex. Oddly, while men and women are the same, a person can still switch genders at will – which seemingly contradicts the idea that both sexes are identical. To us average folks, this seems abnormal – but that is because we are nothing more than science-denying bigots.

The second type is the microassault, which is a direct and intentional insult. The New School gives the example of “Cat calling a woman, being ignored, and then saying that she’s so ugly that no one would want her anyway.” In the real world, this falls under the “being a jerk” category. While social justice warriors believe conservatives are insensitive and uncaring, the reality is that most people of any political persuasion would criticize this type of behavior.

Next, is the microinvalidation. These are comments that “exclude, negate, or nullify the thoughts, feelings or experiential realities of the victim.” Note that this definition includes one of the most hallowed words in the social justice world: “victim.” An example would be telling an Asian that he is smart because of his race. In the real world, we would classify this as a silly and uninformed comment.

My favorite example of a microaggression given by the guide is “Feeling tokenized in classrooms when specific subject matters are raised (i.e., the one Black student is expected to speak for all Black people)” It’s my favorite because I have experienced this one myself. I take great pleasure in this. Why? Because when I’m the only black person in the room, and people look to me for the black perspective, I can simply make up any nonsense that I please, and they’ll believe it. It’s hilarious.

All kidding aside, being “tokenized” is not offensive to all black people. The reality is that if an issue related to the black community is being discussed, it makes sense that people who aren’t black are going to ask me about it. It has nothing to do with racism.

According to the The New School, microaggressions can cause great harm:

At the individual level, microaggression perpetuates stereotype threat, lowers work productivity and problem-solving abilities, and assails the mental and physical health of the targets.

Stress, anxiety, harmful coping mechanisms, (sustained) cortisol, susceptibility to disease, possible alteration of genes (can be passed on through childbirth), disengagement with social structures, isolation, mental health, physical health.

The guide implies that even dealing with one instance of “dismissive or demeaning behavior” can cause low self-confidence and fear. They also indicate that the proliferation of microaggressions can contribute to a “hostile society.”

When advising students on how to respond to a microaggression, the guide has several suggestions. One piece of advice is to address it directly with the person who committed the transgression. In some situations, this might make sense. If someone offends you, there is nothing wrong with addressing it with them in a respectful way. Unfortunately, the guide also has a recommendation that is not so sensible. Big surprize.

The guide also encourages students to report other students who commit microaggressions because they are “acts of bias and discrimination” and violations of the school policy and possibly the Student Code of Conduct. The problem is that the guide doesn’t outline what type of microaggression constitutes an act of bias or discrimination. It’s possible that they are referring to only to legitimate examples of discriminatory behavior. One can only hope.

The social justice movement has taken an issue that has a modicum of merit and created a culture of victimhood. There is a marked difference between small, unintentional slights and overt discrimination. As a minority, I have experienced both, and most microaggressions can be easily shrugged off, or discussed with the person who made the offending comment.

The danger is that the left is teaching students to react to a small slight in the same way they might react to a real act of racism – which only contributes to racial tension. Not only that, it doesn’t help students learn how to cope with hearing points of view or phrases with which they do not agree. By emphasizing victimhood and being perpetually offended, they are not helping the students – they are impeding their growth and development.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Art professor ‘hounded out of his job’ after not giving ‘trigger warnings’ to students
Rob WaughRob Waugh for Metro.co.ukMonday 24 Jul 2017 9:49 am

Michael Bonesteel has taught at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago for 14 years, and is an expert on the 20th-century Chicago artist Henry Darger.

Bonesteel said that ‘militant LGBT students’ had turned his classroom into something closer to a ‘police state than a place where academic freedom and the open exchange of ideas is valued’.

Bonesteel offered his resignation after three students filed harassment complaints against him for the way he discussed sensitive materials, the Washington Times reports.

The administration responded to the complaints by reducing Bonesteel’s teaching hours.

In one incident, a student complained that Bonesteel didn’t offer a ‘trigger warning’ before using the word ‘rape’ in a discussion of the comic book Batman: The Killing Joke.

Bonesteel said, ‘When I said the word ‘rape,’ the complaining student yelled, “Hey, where’s the trigger warning?”’ A little exasperated by that point, I remarked, ‘Really? You want a trigger warning for the word “rape”?’

In another, a transgender student took issue with a theory that images of little girls with penises in Darger were linked to childhood sexual abuse.

Bonesteel said, ‘The student said there was no proof that Darger was sexually abused, and therefore I was wrong in proposing the theory’ – but points out that many experts believe there is substance to the theory.

Bonesteel told the Chicago Reader, ‘To be labeled discriminatory and charged with sexual harassment because I got into a heated debate with a hostile student who happened to be transgender, and for that student’s accusations of sexual harassment to be credited – and for my account and those of several other student witnesses to be discredited – seems entirely unfair.’

SAIC dean of faculty Lisa Wainwright said in a written statement that the college was ‘unable to comment on individual personnel matters.’

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/24/art-professor-hounded-out-of-his-job-after-not-giving-trigger-warnings-to-students-6801299/

Top Bottom