IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm not sure we're even a dying breed. There are many millions on Reddit, which is nothing more than a message board by another name, on a huge scale.
Reddit is more like a Twitter type format vs a message board IMO because the algorithm prefers to keep new topics and conversations readily open for a very short time period. Old comments/communication falls off quickly which supposedly entices new interactions with new people/posters.
Message boards basically keep threads forever…we can go back on this board 10 pages and bring a thread back to life by simply replying to it. My understanding of Reddit is that same topic basically goes bye bye from sight after a short time and you would then need someone to search for a term or other key in that conversation in order to bring up that old topic/conversation.
Thats my limited understanding of it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Reddit is more like a Twitter type format vs a message board IMO because the algorithm prefers to keep new topics and conversations readily open for a very short time period. Old comments/communication falls off quickly which supposedly entices new interactions with new people/posters.
Message boards basically keep threads forever…we can go back on this board 10 pages and bring a thread back to life by simply replying to it. My understanding of Reddit is that same topic basically goes bye bye from sight after a short time and you would then need someone to search for a term or other key in that conversation in order to bring up that old topic/conversation.
Speaking of bumping threads. Here is the most iconic chatter thread we have ever had. Enjoy.

UncleMilti

Staff member
My guess is Booze is thinking monetization.
I think this is the main thing. You know this better than me, but if I recall we’ve just about doubled cost wise the last 2-3 years from what we started with. We have to keep updating the software, and hosting is a problem cost wise because you hit a point of no return where the cost is cheap (cheaper) but the board is not stable or goes down without good reason.
Cost is really the enemy here the way things are set up.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Speaking of bumping threads. Here is the most iconic chatter thread we have ever had. Enjoy.

1. So many jsmith posts :sad
2. Have DontCryWolfe and Bill Shatner even been seen in the same room at the same time
3. Bumping that thread may just propel us today and through the playoffs

Edit... Dammit, stamped on #1. We're definitely winning tonight

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think this is the main thing. You know this better than me, but if I recall we’ve just about doubled cost wise the last 2-3 years from what we started with. We have to keep updating the software, and hosting is a problem cost wise because you hit a point of no return where the cost is cheap (cheaper) but the board is not stable or goes down without good reason.
Cost is really the enemy here the way things are set up.

:unsure

UncleMilti

Staff member
Lots of Jsmith in this thread. :sad
Hilarious that @NoDak was bringing up yoga pants in that thread. I just got back from Vail and I’d say 85% of the women I saw were wearing yoga/stretch pants…with snow boots….in 2 degree weather. I’m all about the sexy but it defies logic in that type of weather.
Obviously it’s Vail, lots of damn hot women there, but some, ummm..well let’s just say 200 lbs and Cameltoe take on a new meaning at some point.

UncleMilti

Staff member

:unsure
:unsure:unsure:unsure

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I guess you're basically right but to me that just makes it a different version of a message board as opposed to Twitter. Twitter is different because it is centered on an individual saying something and you can follow that person's messages. It's focused on following people. Message boards are focused on messages that users post on and interact with rather than individuals.

Although you are probably right about the mechanics of reddit, that effect is exaggerated by the number of users on the subreddit.

For example, I read the Sixers subreddit and topics stay near the top for several days because there aren't a ton of users on it. Other subreddits that have a ton of users like r/NFL have topics go by much quicker because new ones are constantly posted.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Who else had a hard time not liking a bunch of posts in that old thread? :unsure

I mean besides Geng.

Top Bottom