How one play defined a stellar career

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That wasn't a knock on Dak. If you bothered to read the thread instead of calling me fan boy
But you are unquestionably a fan boy. There is no objectivity to you when it comes to Romo.

Embrace it. You are not scoring any cool points pretending otherwise.

So next year, it'll be ok to blast Dak? It was Romo's second game of his 3rd season when you and otheres came out against him with such constructive criticism as "not enough angra face!!11!"
Oh, poor Tony. Wah wah. Always such a victim.

Lookit, a QB that fucks up, which most of them do, deserves whatever criticism they get. They alone swing great teams from good teams, okay teams from flat out bad.

Couldn't agree more. Funny how when anyone else made this observation, you had your whole "a quarterback needs help!" shtick
That just goes to prove the idea that Romo was not elite like you and others asserted. He wasn't just some poor victim of a bad team around him.

He was simply not capable of doing what the greats have done.

No shame in that he can step in line with a bunch of other QBs that were pretty good but never good enough when it counted.

I just see Romo's legend growing the longer he has been gone and his exploits romanticized. You know, like this thread that makes it seem like he beat the Seahawks.

It was Murray and the run game that made that happen.

Call me a fan boy if it makes you feel better but you and others here have always been haters of Romo.
Your use of the word "haters" just tells me how deep you are willing to go intellectually with the discussion.

kidd

DCC 4Life
But you are unquestionably a fan boy. There is no objectivity to you when it comes to Romo.

Embrace it. You are not scoring any cool points pretending otherwise.
Yeah cuz scoring cool points with you is what I live for! :jerk

Oh, poor Tony. Wah wah. Always such a victim.

Lookit, a QB that fucks up, which most of them do, deserves whatever criticism they get. They alone swing great teams from good teams, okay teams from flat out bad.

That just goes to prove the idea that Romo was not elite like you and others asserted. He wasn't just some poor victim of a bad team around him.

He was simply not capable of doing what the greats have done.

No shame in that he can step in line with a bunch of other QBs that were pretty good but never good enough when it counted.
I don't think I ever put Romo in the same tier as Brady or Manning. I simply refused to put him in the category with lower tier QB's.

My position has always been that this team had a list of things wrong such as ownership, coaching, etc but Romo was near the bottom of the list of things that needed to be fixed.

I just see Romo's legend growing the longer he has been gone and his exploits romanticized. You know, like this thread that makes it seem like he beat the Seahawks.

It was Murray and the run game that made that happen.
Romo never made any great plays in that game? We watched different ganes or you just had your blinders on.

Romo was 3rd in MVP voting that year and it wasn't because he handed the ball off to Murray. Did Murray anf the o-line help? Absolutely. But Romo did more than just hand off the ball. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge as much tells me all I need to know about your bias against Romo.

Your use of the word "haters" just tells me how deep you are willing to go intellectually with the discussion.
Yeah and your use of the word "fan boy" make you sooo much more intellectually superior! :jerk

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That amazing throw on 3rd and 20 helped win that Seattle game. Romo earlier in the game took a spearing to the gut that should have been a PF from Bobby Wagner and got up to keep driving.

So yeah call out Murray, but when you play the very best competition your QB sooner or later is going to have to make a play.

Has Dak even taken a tough shot yet?

Stick to your guns, Kidd. Don’t let people label you.

kidd

DCC 4Life
That amazing throw on 3rd and 20 helped win that Seattle game. Romo earlier in the game took a spearing to the gut that should have been a PF from Bobby Wagner and got up to keep driving.

So yeah call out Murray, but when you play the very best competition your QB sooner or later is going to have to make a play.

Has Dak even taken a tough shot yet?

Stick to your guns, Kidd. Don’t let people label you.
Oh now Ravi.

There's no way you or I can compete with such superior intellect as this:

NO!

Becauz teh Romo wuz teh gr8est QB eVar!

D

Deuce

Yep, the snide comment about the Redskins game really showed me how much you are rooting for him.

Tied to a young QB not even through his second year hoping he pans out is totally different than hitching your wagon to an experienced guy, crippling your cap and structuring your offense around him, only to have the player disappoint.

Had we got Romo a more balanced offense and relied on him less, he may have actually gone beyond the divisional round in his career.
This should have been the thread ender, why is there still another page to read?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Or we could be even more real and give you your own very special thread to pine away for your man crush and blast the guy that we are tied to at the moment.
“we are tied to at the moment”

Now there’s a ringing endorsement.

BTW, there isn’t a single intelligent Cowboys fan who doesn’t appreciate what Dak has done nor believes we haven’t found our QB for years to come.

Now let’s get him a defense and some more speed across the board.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
“we are tied to at the moment”

Now there’s a ringing endorsement.

BTW, there isn’t a single intelligent Cowboys fan who doesn’t appreciate what Dak has done nor believes we haven’t found our QB for years to come.

Now let’s get him a defense and some more speed across the board.
I like to think I'm an intelligent cowboys fan.

I think the jury is still out on whether we've found our QB for years to come.

kidd

DCC 4Life

Next question: Do you think Romo may have given us a better chance to win this year?

If your answer is in the affirmative, then you are now an unintelligent fan boy.

Sorry. Not my rules.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Next question: Do you think Romo may have given us a better chance to win this year?

If your answer is in the affirmative, then you are now an unintelligent fan boy.

Sorry. Not my rules.
The prior rules were a hypothetical being could Romo have won more games this year? It turned into should Romo be the starter. I hope you have better luck with this one. :art

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Years to come doesn’t mean the next decade.

But it means a second contract. Dak would have to shit Charlottes bed for months to convince our front office otherwise.

And I’m inclined to agree. He’s shown too much to not give him a multi-year trial.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Sorry. Not my rules.
You’re really, really tempting the Dak cult to climb back out of their hides holes.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I’m not going to defend Dak because he was awful yesterday and has been meh at best for the most of the second half of this season.

But some of you are over-romanticizing what Romo did for us. He had a ton of bad performances in big games as well.

1. Mismanaged the game against Green Bay back in 2013. Overly pass happy at the wrong time, just like Dak.

2. Tied 13-13 with under 2 minutes to play against the Steelers in 2008, Romo throws a pick six costing the Cowboys the game.

3. He was bad in the 44-6 game against the Eagles.

4. He threw 3 INTs including the backbreaking INT late in the game against the Redskins in the 2012 season finale in a win or go home game for the Cowboys.

5. The aforementioned fumbled snap vs. the Seahawks in the 2006 playoffs.

6. Romo fumbles away one scoring opportunity and throws a late INT to Darrell Revis to complete a 14 point choke job to the Jets in 2011.

7. Romo once again gets too pass happy and engineers another Cowboys collapse by blowing a 20 point home lead to the Lions. 3 INTs in the process.

8. He put up a pass happy shit performance against the Ravens in the final game at Texas Stadium. Most of us remember the two long TD runs that the Ravens had to seal the win but I also remember Romo throwing the ball way too much in game that was close. He had 2-3 INTs that game as well. Oh by the way, it was a game that we desperately needed to avoid that showdown with the Eagles the following week. A precursor to 44-6.

This was just a small few that sit at the front of my mind. He has a pretty lengthy laundry list of these moments.

Romo is clearly a better QB than Dak, I’m not debating that. But I’m not willing to assume having him as our starter means we’d have won more games this year. 10 years of FACTS AND HIS RESUME say otherwise. Yes he made his fair share of big plays but he killed us plenty of times along the way as well.

So if it helps you cope with another disappointing Cowboys season by pretending that we’d be Super Bowl contenders with Romo at QB go right ahead. History shows that it’s nothing but a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Not to mention that it would be a good chance that he would have been injured.

Im not giving up on Dak. I think he is lacking at several spots and not just elite talent. I think we run simplistic routes allowing defenses to game plan easier. I don't think he will ever be an elite passer but we already have most of the pieces to be successful. Just need to get rid of the coaching staff that is holding us back.

Hawkeye

Brand New Member
Where Dallas lacks is in half time adjustments. The fact that that this team seems to be regularly outscored in the second half points to a significant weakness in coaching more than anything. The opposing team negates our game plan with their half time adjustments and the Cowboys never seem to have an answer. AND they always seem to give up on the run game way too soon.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I’m not going to defend Dak because he was awful yesterday and has been meh at best for the most of the second half of this season.

But some of you are over-romanticizing what Romo did for us. He had a ton of bad performances in big games as well.

1. Mismanaged the game against Green Bay back in 2013. Overly pass happy at the wrong time, just like Dak.

2. Tied 13-13 with under 2 minutes to play against the Steelers in 2008, Romo throws a pick six costing the Cowboys the game.

4. He threw 3 INTs including the backbreaking INT late in the game against the Redskins in the 2012 season finale in a win or go home game for the Cowboys.

6. Romo fumbles away one scoring opportunity and throws a late INT to Darrell Revis to complete a 14 point choke job to the Jets in 2011.

7. Romo once again gets too pass happy and engineers another Cowboys collapse by blowing a 20 point home lead to the Lions. 3 INTs in the process.

8. He put up a pass happy shit performance against the Ravens in the final game at Texas Stadium. Most of us remember the two long TD runs that the Ravens had to seal the win but I also remember Romo throwing the ball way too much in game that was close. He had 2-3 INTs that game as well. Oh by the way, it was a game that we desperately needed to avoid that showdown with the Eagles the following week. A precursor to 44-6.

This was just a small few that sit at the front of my mind. He has a pretty lengthy laundry list of these moments.

Romo is clearly a better than Dak, I’m not debating that. But I’m not willing to assume having him as our starter means we’d have won more games this year. 10 years of FACTS AND HIS RESUME say otherwise. Yes he made his fair share of big plays but he killed us plenty of times along the way as well.

So if it helps you cope with another disappointing Cowboys season by pretending that we’d be Super Bowl contenders with Romo at QB go right ahead. History shows that it’s nothing but a pipe dream.
I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree about the career of Tony Romo. For all the negative you posted, someone can go back and post a positive that he's done in his carreer such as when he played with a broken rib and punctured lung to beat the 49ers or when he played with a ruptured disc in his back to beat the Redskins to give this team a chance at the playoffs the following week. That was the game he was unable to play.

There are also games when he played well enough to win only to have another part of the team let him down. The first thing that comes to mind is the 2009 Playoff game against NY. Yes he didn't play lights out in that game but there were other factors in that game that contributed just as much to that loss. Patrick Crayton giving up on his route; Burnette getting an unsporstman like conduct penalty on 3rd down be fore the half that kept NY's drive alive and swung momentum; Romo being called for intentional grounding for throwin the ball out of bounds even though he was outside the box. Another game in which he had a 12 pt lead with 5 minutes left but his defense allowed Eli to score and win. Would QB's like Brady and Manning be able to overcome these things? They quite possibly could but I invite you to go back and find one post by myself or any other Romo fan on this board that claims he was as good as those two.

I will freely acknowledge that he has laid some stinkers and cost us some games. I believe the majority of those stinkers were a result of him trying to do too much to compensate for where this team was sorely lacking. He got pass happy probably because he felt the need to score more points because he couldn't trust the defense to hold a lead. He probably didn't hand off enough because he couldn't trust his RB not to fumble during crucial moments of the game. And lets face it, it never mattered what happened in a game, he was always blamed for the loss. Hell some here even tried to blame him for the playoff loss to GB because he threw the pass to Dez instead of finding Beasly underneath.

As said before, my contention has always been that he wasn't the main reason for those 8 losses in those 8-8 seasons while you and others believe otherwise.

So we just have to agree to disagree.

But if you look back on this thread, there's not one poster who says Romo would make us SB contenders. Only that he may have given us a better chance to win. You yourself said he was better than Dak so why is it so far fetched to say that our chance of having a better record this year would improve with him under center?

The point of the video I posted had nothing to do with any of that. Just that he got a bad rap for his career. It evolve when others threw out hypotheticals on how he would perform this year. Then others came out trying to say how he could do no better and cherry picked just like you have done while at the same time making excuses for Dak.

If Romo's supporters are going to get called out for making excuses for him, then it is only fair for Dak's supporters to get called out as well. I'm not lumping you in with them either.

As I said before, I'm pulling for Dak to improve and get better because lord knows I don't wanna have to search for another QB although a coaching search is in order but won't happen.

I will conclude with this. Until Dak improves dramatically, QB has moved near the top of things wrong with this team. A lot more so than when Romo was under center.

But if it makes you and others feel better by saying Romo would have performed just as poorly if not worse than Dak, then by all means go ahead. Seeing how he performed with essentially the same team 3 years ago says differently.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Romo's done, he's retired. He's prooobably not going into the HOF so someone remind me why people are bickering about his career accomplishments. He had some stellar moments, he had some WTF moments, just about every QB does. End of story.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree about the career of Tony Romo. For all the negative you posted, someone can go back and post a positive that he's done in his carreer such as when he played with a broken rib and punctured lung to beat the 49ers or when he played with a ruptured disc in his back to beat the Redskins to give this team a chance at the playoffs the following week. That was the game he was unable to play.

There are also games when he played well enough to win only to have another part of the team let him down. The first thing that comes to mind is the 2009 Playoff game against NY. Yes he didn't play lights out in that game but there were other factors in that game that contributed just as much to that loss. Patrick Crayton giving up on his route; Burnette getting an unsporstman like conduct penalty on 3rd down be fore the half that kept NY's drive alive and swung momentum; Romo being called for intentional grounding for throwin the ball out of bounds even though he was outside the box. Another game in which he had a 12 pt lead with 5 minutes left but his defense allowed Eli to score and win. Would QB's like Brady and Manning be able to overcome these things? They quite possibly could but I invite you to go back and find one post by myself or any other Romo fan on this board that claims he was as good as those two.

I will freely acknowledge that he has laid some stinkers and cost us some games. I believe the majority of those stinkers were a result of him trying to do too much to compensate for where this team was sorely lacking. He got pass happy probably because he felt the need to score more points because he couldn't trust the defense to hold a lead. He probably didn't hand off enough because he couldn't trust his RB not to fumble during crucial moments of the game. And lets face it, it never mattered what happened in a game, he was always blamed for the loss. Hell some here even tried to blame him for the playoff loss to GB because he threw the pass to Dez instead of finding Beasly underneath.

As said before, my contention has always been that he wasn't the main reason for those 8 losses in those 8-8 seasons while you and others believe otherwise.

So we just have to agree to disagree.

But if you look back on this thread, there's not one poster who says Romo would make us SB contenders. Only that he may have given us a better chance to win. You yourself said he was better than Dak so why is it so far fetched to say that our chance of having a better record this year would improve with him under center?

The point of the video I posted had nothing to do with any of that. Just that he got a bad rap for his career. It evolve when others threw out hypotheticals on how he would perform this year. Then others came out trying to say how he could do no better and cherry picked just like you have done while at the same time making excuses for Dak.

If Romo's supporters are going to get called out for making excuses for him, then it is only fair for Dak's supporters to get called out as well. I'm not lumping you in with them either.

As I said before, I'm pulling for Dak to improve and get better because lord knows I don't wanna have to search for another QB although a coaching search is in order but won't happen.

I will conclude with this. Until Dak improves dramatically, QB has moved near the top of things wrong with this team. A lot more so than when Romo was under center.

But if it makes you and others feel better by saying Romo would have performed just as poorly if not worse than Dak, then by all means go ahead. Seeing how he performed with essentially the same team 3 years ago says differently.
The common denominator in both of our arguments is that this coaching staff and Jerry Jones have and will always hold back the Dallas Cowboys from being legitimate super bowl contenders.

That's the #1 reason why I say things wouldn't be much better even with Romo.

If this were another organization, say the Denver Broncos, and we were having this Dak vs. Romo QB discussion, I'd make that leap up faith and join you out on that limb by assuming that we'd win more games with Romo as our starter. But I can't do that when history shows that even Romo was largely a .500 QB under Jason Garrett.

The staff is pitiful and does a disservice to young QBs. Fortunately for Romo he had the benefit of having about 5 years of NFL experience under his belt before Garrett rolled into town. Unfortunately for Dak all he knows is the grade school level stuff that Garrett and this coaching staff has put together.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Romo is clearly a better than Dak, I’m not debating that. But I’m not willing to assume having him as our starter means we’d have won more games this year. 10 years of FACTS AND HIS RESUME say otherwise. Yes he made his fair share of big plays but he killed us plenty of times along the way as well.

Why dig out a Romo check list when someone critiques Prescott?

Top Bottom