How one play defined a stellar career

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No you just feel the need to cherry pick Romo's poor performances to prop up Dak.

I don't think anyone here was shitting on Dak to prop up Romo by saying a QB with a little more experience may give us a better chance to win.
You're the one who brought up Dak first...

:picard

All I was saying is that Romo had his fair share of 8-8 and 9-7 seasons. So odds are he probably would have had one of those this year. He would have thrown for more yards than Dak though if that makes you feel better. Romo literally never had back to back 10+ win seasons in his entire career. So the idea that he would have magically done it now just seems foolish.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
You mean like how he collapsed in the game against Houston with Watt bearing down on him... oh wait...

I know you're remembering that Thanksgiving game but don't act like that performance was an every game type of performance.

Just like with the bobbled snap, you and others cherry pick some poor games in his 13 year career and try to say that's all he did.
I dare you to find ANY post of mine where I "cherry picked" anything (on any topic)... I'll wait. While you're at it, go and watch his last 16 games and count how many times he went to the ground vs performing his "Romo magic" when faced with pressure.

Oh, and I defended Romo on the bobbled snap. He should not have been the holder once he became the starter, plus, he was hit hard two plays before the FG (he staggered to the sidelines), and I believe he took another hit on the next... so he was probably not in the sturdiest of conditions for holding on the FG.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
All I was saying is that Romo had his fair share of 8-8 and 9-7 seasons. So odds are he probably would have had one of those this year.
Not sure how this follows at all...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Why do you assume that? Especially when we went 8-8 or worse several times with him as our starter.
A few reasons reasons:
- Romo could overcome poor coaching. Romo would have kept Witten in to help Green against that DE in the Falcons game.
- We had all our receivers during our draught. Romo excelled with these same guys.
- Romo does a better job of avoiding the rush than Dak does and buys more time. I think people confuse that about Dak because he's a good runner. He does not shift himself around the pocket to avoid rushers and help his blockers. He rolls out when it's planned. He's not terrible but Romo was just really good at it.
- Romo is a superior downfield passer and that's what's missing in our offense.
- Romo was successful for years without an All Pro running back. Dak hasn't proven that he's affected without one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure how this follows at all...
Because he has NEVER had back to back 10+ win seasons. We won 10+ last year, so yeah he probably falls short of 10 this year. I guess you think the most logical answer is that he would do something he has NEVER done before?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You people are ridiculous. Comparing 2nd year Prescott to 13 year veteran Romo is completely unfair. Put 2nd year Romo on this team with no Elliott for half the year, Smith missing several games and the defense playing like retards anytime Lee is out and we'd be lucky to be 6-10.

Put 2016 Romo on this team and tell me what the chances are he'd survive a game like the Falcons with a historically bad performance from Green and getting sacked 8 times.

Obviously Romo as a 34 year old was superior to 24 year old Prescott but that's a ridiculously unfair comparison to make in the first place.
Which is a very fair point to make. However, I doubt Dak will ever have the football IQ of Romo. He's top tier. He's better than most coaches (including our current). Dak will also have to improve a ton to be nearly as good a passer.

But I like Dak, I do. I just think he's not as good as he seemed at the end of last year.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Because he has NEVER had back to back 10+ win seasons. We won 10+ last year, so yeah he probably falls short of 10 this year. I guess you think the most logical answer is that he would do something he has NEVER done before?
If the rest of the team around him plays well enough, sure. Do you think it was some character flaw or something inherent in him that made 10 wins two years in a row impossible?

Garrett has never done it either, but I don't think that has any bearing on whether we win these next two games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the rest of the team around him plays well enough, sure. Do you think it was some character flaw or something inherent in him that made 10 wins two years in a row impossible?

Garrett has never done it either, but I don't think that has any bearing on whether we win these next two games.
No I think Garrett and the roster is just as much at fault for that. Just like Garrett and the roster have held Dak back this year. Dez looks as bad as he ever has with drops and separation. Witten is worse than ever at getting any run after the catch. This Oline hasn't played close to what it did last year. Obviously Zeke has missed a third of the season. The defense took many steps backwards until the last few weeks.

It's why if Dak can still gut out 10 wins I will be impressed. Otherwise it's just more of the exact same shit we saw under Romo.

The highs with Romo were amazing. The lows with Romo were bad. It was like a roller coaster ride. Obviously the highs were more often than the lows until Romo would get hurt. Dak is less of a roller coaster ride but this year it has been much more of a roller coaster. Last year he was pretty even.

And 10 wins is significant to me because that's almost always what you need in order to make the playoffs. Granted it might not be enough to make it this year but it's pretty rare to see a 10 win team sitting at home. This offseason should tell you all you need to know about Garrett's ability to keep a team under control after a great season. We had more arrests and trouble this offseason than I can recall in awhile.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is a very fair point to make. However, I doubt Dak will ever have the football IQ of Romo. He's top tier. He's better than most coaches (including our current). Dak will also have to improve a ton to be nearly as good a passer.

But I like Dak, I do. I just think he's not as good as he seemed at the end of last year.
The funny thing is there was a point during Romo's career when many on this board thought he didn't have a very high IQ. But as an announcer you can see just how football intelligent he is. It's why I'd love to have him as a coach here. Way more football intelligent than our current coaching staff.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm not disagreeing with you overall about their respective levels of risk-taking, but Dak was the QB for the worst three-game offensive stretch in team history just a month or so ago. That's pretty low.

I think last year was just one of those outliers where everything goes right for a team. Zeke and Tyron played basically all year (I know Smith missed a couple of games early) which is a big part of that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not disagreeing with you overall about their respective levels of risk-taking, but Dak was the QB for the worst three-game offensive stretch in team history just a month or so ago. That's pretty low.

I think last year was just one of those outliers where everything goes right for a team. Zeke and Tyron played basically all year (I know Smith missed a couple of games early) which is a big part of that.
It is but I think most of us would agree the offensive coaching during that stretch was utter garbage. It wasn't just Dak. It was everything on offense. The last time I saw our pass protection as bad as it was in that Falcons game was Romo against the Vikes in the playoffs.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep, that's why I was so disappointed Romo didn't go to Houston or Denver and kick ass. Would've exposed to the world how lousy Garrett is.

It's an absolute shame that Romo had to play his entire career minus 10 games under that guy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The funny thing is there was a point during Romo's career when many on this board thought he didn't have a very high IQ. But as an announcer you can see just how football intelligent he is. It's why I'd love to have him as a coach here. Way more football intelligent than our current coaching staff.
I think Romo was always football intelligent but his problem was that he was extremely impulsive early in his career. You can be football intelligent, especially pre-snap, but then when the bullets start flying you revert back to instincts/nature and the impulsiveness can come through when there's 3 seconds to make complex decisions and avoid getting jacked up by a 300 lb. lineman.

It took him at least 5 years to really scale back the impulsive decisions.

One game that really stands out was the opener of the new stadium against the Giants, I believe in 2009. We had a one-score lead, at least 3, maybe 7, either late in the 3rd/early in the 4th, and had the ball around midfield in good position to extend the lead, Romo made a ridiculous decision to basically throw it up for grabs unnecessarily into like double or triple coverage for an easy INT, the momentum turned and we ended up losing the game.

It's those types of decisions that took years for the guy to get away from.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I think Romo was always football intelligent but his problem was that he was extremely impulsive early in his career. You can be football intelligent, especially pre-snap, but then when the bullets start flying you revert back to instincts/nature and the impulsiveness can come through when there's 3 seconds to make complex decisions and avoid getting jacked up by a 300 lb. lineman.

It took him at least 5 years to really scale back the impulsive decisions.

One game that really stands out was the opener of the new stadium against the Giants, I believe in 2009. We had a one-score lead, at least 3, maybe 7, either late in the 3rd/early in the 4th, and had the ball around midfield in good position to extend the lead, Romo made a ridiculous decision to basically throw it up for grabs unnecessarily into like double or triple coverage for an easy INT, the momentum turned and we ended up losing the game.

It's those types of decisions that took years for the guy to get away from.
It was game like the one you mentioned where he really needed a strong coach like Parcells to reign him in.

He never had that which speaks even more to how good he was to coach it out of himself.

I could see him being a very successful coach in the league.

kidd

DCC 4Life
No I think Garrett and the roster is just as much at fault for that. Just like Garrett and the roster have held Dak back this year. Dez looks as bad as he ever has with drops and separation. Witten is worse than ever at getting any run after the catch. This Oline hasn't played close to what it did last year. Obviously Zeke has missed a third of the season. The defense took many steps backwards until the last few weeks.

It's why if Dak can still gut out 10 wins I will be impressed. Otherwise it's just more of the exact same shit we saw under Romo.

The highs with Romo were amazing. The lows with Romo were bad. It was like a roller coaster ride. Obviously the highs were more often than the lows until Romo would get hurt. Dak is less of a roller coaster ride but this year it has been much more of a roller coaster. Last year he was pretty even.

And 10 wins is significant to me because that's almost always what you need in order to make the playoffs. Granted it might not be enough to make it this year but it's pretty rare to see a 10 win team sitting at home. This offseason should tell you all you need to know about Garrett's ability to keep a team under control after a great season. We had more arrests and trouble this offseason than I can recall in awhile.
Sorry for beating this dead horse but it's funny how you went on and on about how Romo could NEVER win 10+ games in back to back seasons and how everyone made excuses for him on it yet if Dak doesn't do it, then it coaching, lack of protection, no running game, etc, etc.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo also went fetal position a decent amount in his later years. He also was the king of finishing 8-8. People have such jolly memories of Romo. But they seem to forget the late season collapses and 4 or 5 INT games. Funny how that works. We forget the stretch of 2011, 2012 and 2013 of 8-8 after 8-8 season with Romo.

I love Romo but he seems to always be the man excuses are made for. He had his part in all of those seasons as well.
All the discussion aside the man holds all the Cowboys passing records so that alone tells me he would have been a better performer in some of the games this season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Where did I poo poo him? All I said was that people forget the 4 or 5 int games he had. Romo was masterful at times and he was downright ugly at others. He didn't carry bad teams into the playoffs. He carried bad teams to 8-8. Which is probably where he would have carried the team this year. That's not a slight on Romo. We just haven't had a very good team this year.

I love Romo. But I don't feel the need to shit on Dak to prop Romo up.
No one is putting Dak down. He is talented but still inexperenced. The whole discussion is that Romo would have given a better performance in some games this season due to his experience overall. No need to go into example games over the years. It an exercise about this season.

kidd

DCC 4Life
No one is putting Dak down. He is talented but still inexperenced. The whole discussion is that Romo would have given a better performance in some games this season due to his experience overall. No need to go into example games over the years. It an exercise about this season.
You had the audacity to suggest that another more experienced QB MIGHT perform better than his pet, Dak, and he felt the need to come riding to his defense by cherry picking the career of the only reason this team was even relevant for the past ten years.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Way to ruin a thread. Why can't this be left in the past? There is no way to prove anything either way and no minds will ever be changed.
For real.

Top Bottom