Home Improvement/DIY Projects

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
How do you guys scrape popcorn ceilings? I've done it in all but two rooms of my house. One in a smaller bedroom I use as an office, but the other is my much bigger living room with a tray ceiling. Ugh.

The best way I've come up with is to spray it with a decent amount of water, maybe a little vinegar, let it sit for 10 or so minutes, then scrape with a joint compound knife. But it's usually not perfect and you have to skim coat the whole thing anyway.

I've thought about not scraping it, just covering the whole thing with hot mud. It'll take a lot of mud but I won't have to make the horrible mess that scraping does. I did this in a bathroom that had painted popcorn (so really hard to scrape) and it worked okay.

Any thoughts?
You don’t scrape them. You sand them with a Festool vacuum sander or similar.

Last edited:

Newt

DCC 4Life
Deep pockets UncleMilti spending a grand+ on a Festool tool when we over here with our cheap ass water sprayer
I just got done with that, I hated scraping the ceiling. It's done now, but I'll never do it again.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I had a C-39 in California that I let go about 6 years ago because I knew I’d never use it again. I already checked, it’s been dissolved.

I don’t need a license here to do what I’m doing currently, but if I were to get a license, I really wish I could obtain a plumbing license.

I’ve been doing it my whole life, but not enough years under a licensed plumber to get the work experience necessary to satisfy the requirement here. I’ve worked for a licensed plumber that won’t vouch for me, I’ve also did it for 10+ years under my dads now defunct B license.

I thought about going and talking to someone in Ada at city hall to see if there’s something I could do, but haven’t yet.

I’d love to get licensed for plumbing. As it is I’m not allowed to do in depth plumbing legally.
Your best best is to go get a group 1,2 or 3 GC license. Then, you can do electrical, plumbing etc up to a certain level. In SC group 1 is a max contract/work order of 20,000.00 per job I believe with a self prepared financial statement showing a net worth of 10k.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Deep pockets UncleMilti spending a grand+ on a Festool tool when we over here with our cheap ass water sprayer
You bastard :lol you can rent them.

UncleMilti

Staff member
You uppity bitch.
Scrape it down, patch the gouges in the ceiling, sand the patches…clean all that shit up….keep track of your time. Then ask yourself….should I have just spent the fucking 1k and sanded it down in the beginning ???

:towel :lol :lol :lol

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Scrape it down, patch the gouges in the ceiling, sand the patches…clean all that shit up….keep track of your time. Then ask yourself….should I have just spent the fucking 1k and sanded it down in the beginning ???

It makes sense.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I just got done with that, I hated scraping the ceiling. It's done now, but I'll never do it again.
Yeah it's a bitch

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Or just go get yourself a couple Homedepot meskins and give them a hundo apiece

or just get a $25 sprayer and do it yourself with money for a good bottle of bourbon leftover

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Last edited:

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Your best best is to go get a group 1,2 or 3 GC license. Then, you can do electrical, plumbing etc up to a certain level. In SC group 1 is a max contract/work order of 20,000.00 per job I believe with a self prepared financial statement showing a net worth of 10k.
I’m trying to go the easy route and just find someone to sign off on work experience. My cousin has a license in California but it’s a B general, I’m going to ask if that will suffice, but I have to wait until he gets his shot back in hood standing.

He’s currently in arbitration with some whacko cunt in California.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I’m trying to go the easy route and just find someone to sign off on work experience. My cousin has a license in California but it’s a B general, I’m going to ask if that will suffice, but I have to wait until he gets his shot back in hood standing.

He’s currently in arbitration with some whacko cunt in California.
Was thinking you meant "shop back in good standing", but then noticed you were talking about California so now I'm confused again.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Was thinking you meant "shop back in good standing", but then noticed you were talking about California so now I'm confused again.
“shit back in good standing.” Is how it should read, but my phone is a cocksucker that changes words whenever it wants.

His license is on hold because of the stupid bitch. It’ll go back into good standing when the dispute is resolved.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
@UncleMilti

Almost PM'd you but thought others might be interested... How do you usually trim out the shower niche? I can't tell in the pic you posted, is that a metal trim or a tile pencil trim? Is it acceptable to just use the finished edge of the tile or would that look cheapo? It's porcelain so it's the right color.

I've already tiled the outside, so if I used the metal trim there wouldn't be any problem with adding it on the inside, would there? I can't see why it would matter, anyway.

UncleMilti

Staff member
@UncleMilti

Almost PM'd you but thought others might be interested... How do you usually trim out the shower niche? I can't tell in the pic you posted, is that a metal trim or a tile pencil trim? Is it acceptable to just use the finished edge of the tile or would that look cheapo? It's porcelain so it's the right color.

I've already tiled the outside, so if I used the metal trim there wouldn't be any problem with adding it on the inside, would there? I can't see why it would matter, anyway.
Yes, it’s better to use the metal trim for the edges, at least IMO. It’s made by Schluter and Lowe’s/HD etc normally carry 6-7 colors in stock.
It’s normally difficult to get the edges of tile to look correct on an outside corner without it.

I use the trim everywhere there’s a corner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom