Home Improvement/DIY Projects

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Could've sworn I saw a home improvement thread years ago but I couldn't find it. Maybe it was always in this thread.

But like we were talking about before, I need drywall texture advice. @Sheik @Rev @mcnuttz , anyone else... what would/do you do to texture an entire room without renting a sprayer? I was thinking of a stomp brush and then knocking that down. Maybe even some kind of sponge and then knocking that down. @mcnuttz, I know you mentioned something before but I don't think I quite got what you were saying.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Could've sworn I saw a home improvement thread years ago but I couldn't find it. Maybe it was always in this thread.

But like we were talking about before, I need drywall texture advice. @Sheik @Rev @mcnuttz , anyone else... what would/do you do to texture an entire room without renting a sprayer? I was thinking of a stomp brush and then knocking that down. Maybe even some kind of sponge and then knocking that down. @mcnuttz, I know you mentioned something before but I don't think I quite got what you were saying.
How big is the room?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Google texture rollers. There are some decent looking patterns that you can actually roll on and they look custom. I’ll see if I can find them and post them.

If it’s a smaller room like a bathroom or a kitchen with less surface area, I would just opt for some cans of texture that you can spray in either orange peel or knockdown. Those will get way too expensive if you’re a bedroom or living room.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Google “tool pro texture roller”

I was going to post the link but I do t think it will post because it’s my home depot account.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Not big, just a small bathroom and the shower area is already tiled (mostly).

Shit, for less than $100 you can probably just use spray can. They work really well if you follow the directions. I love using them for knockdown repairs.

I’d get a scrap piece of plywood and practice on it a few small areas until you feel comfortable with it.

I wanna say they are $20-$30 a can and you’ll probably need 3, maybe 4. In my experience it’s best to use the van until it’s empty. Stopping halfway through sometimes the van loses pressure and it’s useless after.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Google “tool pro texture roller”

I was going to post the link but I do t think it will post because it’s my home depot account.
Did it... You mean the ones with the leaves or flowers or whatever? I didn't see any "plain" ones.

Edit, saw the later posts... I read about people having mixed reviews with those cans for anything other than repairs, but you think they're good?

What kind of texture would you choose, like an orange peel?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Did it... You mean the ones with the leaves or flowers or whatever? I didn't see any "plain" ones.

Edit, saw the later posts... I read about people having mixed reviews with those cans for anything other than repairs, but you think they're good?

What kind of texture would you choose, like an orange peel?
It’s preference really. I always do orange peel in bathrooms and kitchens because it’s easier to clean. You get some knockdown dirty, it’s a little hard to clean because of all the voids and lips in it.

I would most definitely at least pick up a can of orange peel and try your hand at spraying it. It’s really hard to get a bad result with orange peel.

Those cans are adjustable, so I would start “fine” and creep up to heavy until you find what you like.

If you’ve never sprayed texture before, less is more. You can always add, once you get it on there it’s a butch to correct it. Sanding is all you can do, or floating, but fuck that.

Edit: just keep your spray pattern consistent. It recommends a spray motion, I usually hold it 16” or so away and do circular motions.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It’s preference really. I always do orange peel in bathrooms and kitchens because it’s easier to clean. You get some knockdown dirty, it’s a little hard to clean because of all the voids and lips in it.

I would most definitely at least pick up a can of orange peel and try your hand at spraying it. It’s really hard to get a bad result with orange peel.

Those cans are adjustable, so I would start “fine” and creep up to heavy until you find what you like.

If you’ve never sprayed texture before, less is more. You can always add, once you get it on there it’s a butch to correct it. Sanding is all you can do, or floating, but fuck that.

Edit: just keep your spray pattern consistent. It recommends a spray motion, I usually hold it 16” or so away and do circular motions.
Sweet, thanks. It's a small enough area that it would only take a few cans. I'll give it a try.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Practice though on scrap piece. I don’t wanna be responsible for a disaster lol.
Well if I screw it up it can't be my fault... :unsure

But yeah, I'll definitely practice first. In fact I need to practice some other ways like I mentioned before to see if I can come up with something I like. But if I can't pretty easily I'll just use the spray.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Well if I screw it up it can't be my fault... :unsure

But yeah, I'll definitely practice first. In fact I need to practice some other ways like I mentioned before to see if I can come up with something I like. But if I can't pretty easily I'll just use the spray.
There are tons of good education videos on YouTube. I spent about 10-12 hours watching and rewatching videos before I attempted the skip trowel I just did.

It’s doable. I gave up twice before I decided to just get after it and learn on the fly. It came out really nice, I only had to scrape off a few areas on the first wall I did, after that your muscle memory starts to learn how to apply it.

I’m sure it’s the same for almost anything really. Post pics when you do it.

Also, we’ll have to start a home improvement thread.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
We had a Mexican guy who worked for us years ago that tried to teach me how to do taping/mudding/texture when we did a lot of remodeling. I didn’t want anything to do with it and I’m kicking myself now that I’m just getting comfortable with it. I’ve always been able to do repairs and match texture, but doing and entire room from start to finish was a learning experience.

Pretty glad I finally did it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

I'm pretty sure we had a Home Improvement thread a few versions ago, because I used to post pics of my remodeling progress.

This link explains a little about glazing. Ways of Using Glazing Techniques for Walls | Real Milk Paint Co.

The technique we used, though, was maybe a little unconventional but we were thrilled with the results.

Our dining room is around 15 x 20 with 12' ceilings. Like I mentioned before, we did a lot of work to correct the uneven wall studs but I could still see waviness in the drywall.

This glazing helped trick the eye and you don't notice that waviness.

So we started with drywall, mudded and taped and sanded it all down nice.

Then primed and painted the walls.

Next we had a couple gallons of glaze ready and I believe it was a lighter color than the base.

When glazing, you want to work in small sections...like maybe 4x8.

We brushed it on, but I guess you could roll it. Can't remember exactly why we brushed it.

Anyway, once you get that area covered, take your thin sheet of dropcloth plastic and press it onto the glaze...the more wrinkles the better, so don't try to iron it out all smooth and shit.

Don't run your plastic all the way out to the end of section that you've glazed because you'll need to start brushing again after the first piece of plastic is finished.

Work that next section and let your next piece of plastic kind of overlap the previous piece a good foot or so.

Once you have completed the room, it would just about be time to start pulling the first piece of plastic off the wall. You may decide to wait a little bit longer, I don't remember exactly how long we waited.

So if you overlapped the plastic correctly, you can start pulling the first one and you'll be able to pull all of the plastic down in one big piece.
This ends up looking like a marbled effect, and the glaze adds textured detail that when hit with lights just makes your eyes kinda trip out a bit.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We had a Mexican guy who worked for us years ago that tried to teach me how to do taping/mudding/texture when we did a lot of remodeling. I didn’t want anything to do with it and I’m kicking myself now that I’m just getting comfortable with it. I’ve always been able to do repairs and match texture, but doing and entire room from start to finish was a learning experience.

Pretty glad I finally did it.
I really suck and mudding and taping, so decided with the last room I remodeled to hire out someone to do it.

They were expensive, slow, and sloppy...but I'll probably hire them back again next time because I fucking hate it.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I really suck and mudding and taping, so decided with the last room I remodeled to hire out someone to do it.

They were expensive, slow, and sloppy...but I'll probably hire them back again next time because I fucking hate it.
I never liked it. I can honestly say that doing it on my own home, trying to actually do it perfectly, I actually really like doing it.

I pulled a bunch of paneling off in my living room and none of the drywall is taped in there. I can’t wait to get a few buckets of joint compound and get it done.

It’s weird. I’m enjoying it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I never liked it. I can honestly say that doing it on my own home, trying to actually do it perfectly, I actually really like doing it.

I pulled a bunch of paneling off in my living room and none of the drywall is taped in there. I can’t wait to get a few buckets of joint compound and get it done.

So they had paneling installed over unfinished drywall?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

I don't mind it either. Not that I'm good at it, but I don't mind it.

One thing I learned from watching That Kilted Guy vids on Youtube, I actually use hot mud now for everything short of texturing or skim coating. Not sure why, but after trying both it just agrees with me better.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
So they had paneling installed over unfinished drywall?
You should have seen the converted garage. They used siding applied backwards, then they paneled over that. I ripped it all down to studs, insulated it, and put the drywall and finished it out.

I ran new electrical in the whole room too. They had a 3” round J-box for the ceiling fan and they had everything running off the ceiling fan. 7 separate Romeo wires all smashed into that one box. It was very interesting to look at.

Top Bottom