Home Improvement/DIY Projects

Sheik

DCC 4Life
View attachment 692739

This is my ceiling texture and I fucking hate it.
I finally decided to re-do the living room completely. I’m almost done skim coating that shitty textured ceiling.

I blew out two walls in the living area to open things up. There’s only 3 walls now so I decided to level 5 all the walls and ceilings. I ended up doing a shiplap accent wall.

I’ll be doing the flooring next week after all the paint is done.

The only thing I hate about the living room now is the massive brick fireplace wall. I joined a fireplace forum to ask if I could cover the brick with something and the few that answered said to leave it or take it out. It stays for now.

I’ll throw some pics up when I finish.

Also, I know you weekend warriors are doing shit to your homes. Post pics and shit. Fags.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Oh yeah, unless you’ve done level 5 smooth skimming, I’ll warn you. It’s FUCKED. I’ve watched countless videos even before I started it. Every time I think I’m done with an area, light or shadow hits a spot and reveals a ridge or dip in the ceiling. I’m sure my ceiling weighs almost as much as the concrete slab foundation now from all the mud I’ve applied.

It’s getting there though.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm not nearly as ambitious to start home remodeling projects as I used to be, but can't afford to pay someone else to do it either.

It's time to start building a bathroom. As soon as summer's over I'll get right on it.

Oh look, football started!

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I'm not nearly as ambitious to start home remodeling projects as I used to be, but can't afford to pay someone else to do it either.

It's time to start building a bathroom. As soon as summer's over I'll get right on it.

Oh look, football started!
We want to add a bathroom. I’m not looking forward to it, though. There are times I wish this home was on a raised foundation for stuff like that.

I also want to put a urinal in my backyard just because.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I also want to put a urinal in my backyard just because.
We did this in my neighbor's "mancave". Built on and added a urinal and cesspool. I want to put one in my barn, but just haven't done it yet.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I think I mentioned this home we bought was built in 1970 and never remodeled since. It’s exactly what we were looking for, downsizing and getting into something we could reshape and improve the property value by 2-3 times when all is said and done.

I feel like almost a year in that I’ve wasted so much time traveling and putting the house on the back burner and just living with it as is.

I’m finally done with living room/dinning room area. I’ve knocked down walls, relocated a doorway, ran new electrical/plugs/switches/LED lighting, floated the god awful ceiling and wall textures flat, installed a shiplap accent wall, added a decent sized pantry to the kitchen, and new flooring in just the living/dining room area. Also completely remodeled the garage conversion to a bedroom that someone did half asses 40 years ago, added a closet and new drywall/electrical/lighting(still have to do flooring in that room.

The original appraisal was just north of $110k last September. Just had it appraised last week and it came back $189k, for sure some of that is just property values increasing organically.

Not factoring in my labor, we’ve only spent $8k give or take a few hundred dollars. Pretty cool.

I’ll throw some pictures up when we get everything set up. Have to get new furniture and shit like that over the coming weeks. It’s pretty rewarding when you can sit back and look at before and after photos.

Still have two bathrooms a kitchen and 3 other bedrooms to remodel. FML.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Still have two bathrooms a kitchen and 3 other bedrooms to remodel. FML.
I look forward to seeing your progress.

We've lived in our home nearly 20 years, and while we've done a great deal of work on this 100 year old home, we still have three bathrooms, bedrooms, and a kitchen to go.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I look forward to seeing your progress.

We've lived in our home nearly 20 years, and while we've done a great deal of work on this 100 year old home, we still have three bathrooms, bedrooms, and a kitchen to go.
Damn, 100 years old? That one would be fun to dig into I bet. If someone whit any skill at all built it, it’s built better than anything you could pay for today.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Damn, 100 years old? That one would be fun to dig into I bet. If someone whit any skill at all built it, it’s built better than anything you could pay for today.
The previous homeowner remodeled it himself in the early 80s.

Apparently he didn't own a square or level.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Do people still bag their grass clippings after mowing? Seems like a hassle.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I, too, bag my grass.

Way I was raised.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I leave the clippings on the ground, bb. It's way better for the soil. But you have to mow often enough that you aren't leaving the huge clumps.

That's probably an issue for people who actually get rain sometimes. :ballpunch

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I leave the clippings on the ground, bb. It's way better for the soil. But you have to mow often enough that you aren't leaving the huge clumps.

That's probably an issue for people who actually get rain sometimes. :ballpunch
I probably mow once a week. Not really enough but life and rain happens.

Top Bottom