Home Improvement/DIY Projects

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I don't mind it either. Not that I'm good at it, but I don't mind it.

One thing I learned from watching That Kilted Guy vids on Youtube, I actually use hot mud now for everything short of texturing or skim coating. Not sure why, but after trying both it just agrees with me better.
Jesus Christ. I’ve watched him, too. He’s damn good at his craft. I think he’s either retired or getting to that point, most of his videos now kinda give the feel that he’s being sponsored to sell tools.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You should have seen the converted garage. They used siding applied backwards, then they paneled over that. I ripped it all down to studs, insulated it, and put the drywall and finished it out.

I ran new electrical in the whole room too. They had a 3” round J-box for the ceiling fan and they had everything running off the ceiling fan. 7 separate Romeo wires all smashed into that one box. It was very interesting to look at.
We really do need a home improvement thread. I haven't even gotten to share what all went into converting part of my barn into the infamous patio.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't mind it either. Not that I'm good at it, but I don't mind it.

One thing I learned from watching That Kilted Guy vids on Youtube, I actually use hot mud now for everything short of texturing or skim coating. Not sure why, but after trying both it just agrees with me better.
How would you go about heating the mud?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
You should have seen the converted garage. They used siding applied backwards, then they paneled over that. I ripped it all down to studs, insulated it, and put the drywall and finished it out.

I ran new electrical in the whole room too. They had a 3” round J-box for the ceiling fan and they had everything running off the ceiling fan. 7 separate Romeo wires all smashed into that one box. It was very interesting to look at.
Are you using spray foam insulation?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Are you using spray foam insulation?
Nah, just the fiberglass stuff.

I do want to learn more about the spray foam. I was looking on YouTube and stumbled on to a horror story episode of people who can’t live in their homes anymore until the foam is all cleaned out of their walls and attic.

Something about the chemicals being mixed around and now the home(s) smell like fish and give them headaches.

Weird. First I’d ever heard of bad experiences.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Nah, just the fiberglass stuff.

I do want to learn more about the spray foam. I was looking on YouTube and stumbled on to a horror story episode of people who can’t live in their homes anymore until the foam is all cleaned out of their walls and attic.

Something about the chemicals being mixed around and now the home(s) smell like fish and give them headaches.

Weird. First I’d ever heard of bad experiences.
Never heard of the smell bothering anyone, did hear one story of someone adding an 110 outlet to a run and it being a pain in the ass to make a channel for wire and box.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Never heard of the smell bothering anyone, did hear one story of someone adding an 110 outlet to a run and it being a pain in the ass to make a channel for wire and box.
Could run conduit though

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Could run conduit though
You'd still have to carve out a channel for conduit and the box. This was someone that had moved into a house after foam had been sprayed

Sheik

DCC 4Life
We can post pics or pick each other’s brains if we’re trying to learn something or get some ideas/suggestions.

Cotton

Staff member
No better way than for my first post in this thread to be about my patio. When we bought this house there was a barn that was kinda shaped like an L. Standing outside one day I thought, you know I could take down those walls, put up a wall to separate the future patio from the barn with a wall. And, after a lot of hard ass work, the patio was born.

Here's what it looked like originally. Through the door you can see what is now a wall. To the left is the rest of the barn.

Patio1.JPG

After I took down the walls, and put up the wall to separate the patio from the rest of the barn.

Patio2.JPG

After I got the roof and awning removed and replaced.

patio4.jpg

And the completed patio. :towel

patio5.jpg

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Front Porch has a better record.

Cotton

Staff member
Even using code words, we know what you two are talking about...
Dude, I didn't even get a TWSS vibe when I was typing it, but you somehow dug in and found it. Massive props. :lol

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
any other crawlspace aficionados?
My sister-in-law's ex-husband hid under her house smoking cigarettes for a few days before she realized where the smell was coming from.

Cotton

Staff member
My sister-in-law's ex-husband hid under her house smoking cigarettes for a few days before she realized where the smell was coming from.
WTF? What movie is that from? My god. Did they arrest him?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dude, I didn't even get a TWSS vibe when I was typing it, but you somehow dug in and found it. Massive props. :lol
It wasn't that hard.

TWSS.

Top Bottom