Ezekiel Elliott Released

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think it's arbitrary. Used to be you'd see a second round of free agency on June 1st. But you don't any longer because teams can designate a guy now instead of waiting. They do that to be nice to a player like Zeke so he can have more time to find a new job.

I'm guessing June 1st is a convenient time to free up space for draft picks and the such. I don't know why the NFL picked that date.
I wonder if teams ever forego the June 1 option. You wouldnt think so.

p1_

DCC 4Life
At one time you couldn't just release them now and designate it June 1, you had to actually keep them on the team until then.
thats another thing i was wondering. If the player had to wait til June to find his new home.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wonder if teams ever forego the June 1 option. You wouldnt think so.

I think in a lot of cases it makes better sense to not go the June 1 option. For one it makes any cap savings available immediately. Second, and maybe more importantly, it means that you take all of the dead cap penalty in the current year, rather than having to also absorb a part of it the following year.

On the other hand assuming the cap raises every year, sending some money into the next year actually means the dead money is a lesser percentage of the cap so there's definitely some advantage to that.

It just depends.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think this is a pretty relevant follow up from Slater, and very plausible.

It could make primitive sense to see how the market develops as a starting point towards keeping him. Eh? Eh?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Side note...

He's still in the best shape of his life.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It could make primitive sense to see how the market develops as a starting point towards keeping him. Eh? Eh?

I think they want to keep him. If they didn't I think they'd have cut him by now. But they'll cut him if he doesn't agree to a big restructure and pay reduction.

So I think the possibility is very real that they fed Hill a story that they're cutting him to try to motivate him to accept a significant pay reduction. If he doesn't bite they probably will cut him.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I think they want to keep him. If they didn't I think they'd have cut him by now. But they'll cut him if he doesn't agree to a big restructure and pay reduction.

So I think the possibility is very real that they fed Hill a story that they're cutting him to try to motivate him to accept a significant pay reduction. If he doesn't bite they probably will cut him.
I hear ya, but I hope you're wrong.

He just needs to ride on out...maybe AZ is ready to sign another of our battered RBs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I wonder how he is viewed across the league now. Are people still convinced he is better than most of the backs likely to be left?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It's true though. Seeing Jane on the DC.com shows, she always talks about how great this beat is and she wouldn't want to cover any other team. Plus she hasn't been here that long, so she was probably just cutting her teeth when Zeke was at his greatest.

But that makes some of these media people like her at least semi-fans who have trouble being objective. The circus captures them, at least regarding the star players. I mean, Malik Davis could have scored half those short yardage TDs Zeke had.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think in a lot of cases it makes better sense to not go the June 1 option. For one it makes any cap savings available immediately. Second, and maybe more importantly, it means that you take all of the dead cap penalty in the current year, rather than having to also absorb a part of it the following year.
some folks want to spread the penalty rather than absorb all at once.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

You could be right but I hope you're wrong. Jerry seems to drag his feet on these things sometimes. I'm of the opinion that it is best for the team to just move on no matter what reduction he would be willing to do.

I have much respect for what Zeke did earlier in his career. But sometimes a back just no longer has it. Zeke no longer has it. It's a hard thing for some to accept. Time to clear the way for the next guy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Jerry doesn't want to cut him. This is just like Garrett situation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
some folks want to spread the penalty rather than absorb all at once.
In my opinion it doesn't really matter. If you take it all now (June 1st) but don't spend it all, it carries over to next years cap which basically covers the dead money you pushed out.

Ultimately the cap is easy to manipulate. Yes there is a cap, it's real, but it's soft and pliable as shit. You want cap room now, convert some salary to bonus and boom cap room created. You create that cap room but don't spend it, the just carries over to next year as extra cap room. In the end it's all a wash. You just can't spend over the cap every year or eventually you won't have enough salaries to convert to bonus to create the cap room you need.

That's why when I talk about actual cost you try to keep any eye on it. If you cut Zeke today what you actually save is 10.9 on the cap. Thats the money that he actually gets if he plays. Everything else is just bonus money spread out in different ways that will be there no matter what you do.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerry doesn't want to cut him. This is just like Garrett situation.
Exactly.

One of the beat reporters, Slater or someone, said it might be in the next two or three days. So it may not happen today. It's going to be very hard for Jerry to pull that trigger.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly.

One of the beat reporters, Slater or someone, said it might be in the next two or three days. So it may not happen today. It's going to be very hard for Jerry to pull that trigger.
He is going to make a show of it too. I'm sure it will be via some big press conference so he can talk about all the great things Zeke has done here. I'm the kind of guy that would break up with a girlfriend via text so obviously I think this shit is dumb.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But why restrict your available cap dollars next year if you don't have to?
Then create the 10.9 for this year. Only spend 5 mil of it. 5.9 would carry over to next years cap and cancel it out. See why I say it doesn't matter? You create it for now just to give yourself breathing room or contingency money.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
For those who don't think Zeke is washed, let's see how well he plays this season.

More than a couple times Pollard made the dirty yards and came out so Zeke could score the TD.

You honestly have to hand it to Jerry. I truly expected a paycut and more forced Zeke TD runs next year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They restructured at 3 for 12. :budd

Top Bottom