Ezekiel Elliott Released

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this is a pretty relevant follow up from Slater, and very plausible.

How about a market for ewoks who can't run? I don't dislike Zeke, he has done great things here. But his career is over. Time to move on. I'd love for him to still come around and say hi, but just not be on the field ever.

p1_

DCC 4Life
someone please tell me in simple terms about post June 1st, the why and the how it works.

p1_

DCC 4Life
How about a market for ewoks who can't run? I don't dislike Zeke, he has done great things here. But his career is over. Time to move on. I'd love for him to still come around and say hi, but just not be on the field ever.
youre almost angry towards him. Probably more at the Jones.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
someone please tell me in simple terms about post June 1st, the why and the how it works.
It is mainly the difference in cap hit, tbh.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He's probably the 3rd best back in franchise history and if we had a real HC in 2016 we would've made the Super Bowl, if not won the whole damn thing, and history would look back on him very differently because he was absolutely dominant his first few years in the league behind our peak Tyron/Martin/Frederick OL.

You can only make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time and with that in mind I still think taking him over Ramsey was the right decision. Everybody wants to automatically assume that we'd have gotten Henry if we had went Ramsey but that's far from a guarantee. And who would've guessed that a potential HOF talent like Frederick would have some rare autoimmune disorder that forced him into early retirement?

Like every RB he was a shell of himself the last few years and the contract was of course ridiculous, but that doesn't change what he was on the field, which was a special back, albeit for a short period of time.

Like many other elite talents we had in the 2010's, his talent was wasted at the altar of Garrett given that he was more or less past his prime by 2020/2021.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has bonus money that has already been paid to him and spread over multiple years. When you cut him it all comes due creating dead money. You can either take that hit all at once now. Or you can make him a post June 1st cut and take half the hit now and half the hit next season. When you do the post June move, technically none of the money you free up becomes available until June 1st.

There are creative ways around that though. You can structure contracts to be really low upfront basically to allow you to spend future money that frees up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So if we cut Elliott June 1 and do whatever with Tyron (let's just assume it opens up about $5M in space), we should have nearly $20M in space. That should cover a handful of signings like Fowler/Hankins/Rush, although I'm hoping they go for a bigger fish like Cooks.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

p1_

DCC 4Life
He has bonus money that has already been paid to him and spread over multiple years.
So its unamortized bonus money the team has to absorb against their cap in a timing of choice. Is the June date arbitrary or does it have significance for some league purpose ?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is the June date arbitrary or does it have significance for some league purpose ?
Whatever money we save by cutting him June 1 wouldn't be available to use until after that date.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So its unamortized bonus money the team has to absorb against their cap in a timing of choice. Is the June date arbitrary or does it have significance for some league purpose ?
It's halfway to Christmas. New xmas presents.

• Haha

p1_

DCC 4Life
Whatever money we save by cutting him June 1 wouldn't be available to use until after that date.
Im wondering why the league chose June 1st, instead of March, April or any other date.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's arbitrary. Used to be you'd see a second round of free agency on June 1st. But you don't any longer because teams can designate a guy now instead of waiting. They do that to be nice to a player like Zeke so he can have more time to find a new job.

I'm guessing June 1st is a convenient time to free up space for draft picks and the such. I don't know why the NFL picked that date.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Im wondering why the league chose June 1st, instead of March, April or any other date.
Probably just far enough from the new league year (today) but not so close to the new season that players can't find a new team. At one time you couldn't just release them now and designate it June 1, you had to actually keep them on the team until then.

• Props
Top Bottom