Dak Watch Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Another potential obstacle was thrown into the equation when Forbes released a list last month ranking how much NFL teams made in 2018. The Cowboys easily topped the list with total revenue of $950 million, $350 million more than the second-place New England Patriots.

There's a salary cap, so the team's revenues are completely irrelevant.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There's a salary cap, so the team's revenues are completely irrelevant.
Yeah, hard to see how it is an "obstacle" of any kind.

Just make him the highest paid QB or close to it over fours years and let's move on. If you don't want to overpay after four years, make the call then. Dallas can even tag him the following year if they want.

Right now Dak is holding all the cards, as the article correctly pointed out the Cowboys' collective tell in using the exclusive franchise tag. He just has to wait and Dallas will fold and sign him before the deadline.

Dallas can't even use the tag to hedge and wait on the new COVID-influenced cap numbers next year-- Dak gets a 20% pay bump the second year of a tag independent of whether the cap goes down or not.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's good news. At least he is showing he is a team player when push comes to shove.
this is good news. He's gonna get this show on the road, and he will get his money. Make no mistake, he'll make serious bank. But this way, the season prep won't be compromised. Makes me happy, he's on board.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak had no choice but to sign this. It's just a procedural thing really. The Dak-friendly deal is what Dak is going to get, and it's not this franchise placeholder (nice as it is).

The team friendly deal is what the Cowboys want and almost certainly won't get.

Dak has already been quoted as saying he's not giving the team a Giselle discount like Brady did for NE.

Dak aims to get paid as much as he can.

If anything this tender is leverage in his favor. He can just keep signing them, they will keep increasing, and there's nothing Dallas can do about it.

The numbers for QB franchise tags are huge, especially in year 3. The combined total is the baseline Dak probably is basing his negotiations on.

data

Forbes #1
How does this make sense for Dak?

If Dak was gonna get $35M with the five-year contract, he’s giving up $4M with this one year $31M franchise tag.

As a result of this franchise tag, next years contract to breakeven signing the 5YR, $35M today would be 4-year for $36M.

For Dak, he should only be signing a 3YR contract next year (since he didnt want a fifth year today) at least $36.3M then, or it’s a 4YR at least $36M.

That’s just to breakeven, though. For the optics of a win, Dak will need to sign a contract next year north of $38M per year. Crazy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The timing of this seems quite odd, kind of like it's a show of good faith to restart negotiations with 3 weeks left to hammer it out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The timing of this seems quite odd, kind of like it's a show of good faith to restart negotiations with 3 weeks left to hammer it out.
Yeah not really sure if the timing benefits Dak in some way but I don't think it's a dick move on his part at all.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How does this make sense for Dak?

If Dak was gonna get $35M with the five-year contract, he’s giving up $4M with this one year $31M franchise tag.

As a result of this franchise tag, next years contract to breakeven signing the 5YR, $35M today would be 4-year for $36M.

For Dak, he should only be signing a 3YR contract next year (since he didnt want a fifth year today) at least $36.3M then, or it’s a 4YR at least $36M.

That’s just to breakeven, though. For the optics of a win, Dak will need to sign a contract next year north of $38M per year. Crazy.
He’s signing because he has no other choice, except Canada or maybe Australia I guess.

Besides, the act mainly represents a decisive refusal of whatever deal Dallas last put on the table.

He fully intends to sign a four year deal, and I don’t think Dallas has much of a choice.

2021’s tag contract (for Dak) is 36.78 million and 2022’s is 54.26 million. Fully guaranteed, and that’s just three years of tagged deals. Dallas could not possibly afford the 2023 numbers if they could even afford 2022, so Dak becomes a FA.

Yes, Dak has to stay healthy enough to receive each following years contract, but with such high numbers he really has the upper hand.

Sure Dallas didn’t have to shell 70 million up front like Seattle did with Wilson, but they would be risking losing Dak in just two years.

I think even Jerry Jones knows he’s not going to luck into another sure thing at QB anytime soon.

Landry

DCC 4Life
Dak wants to make sure he gets paid this even if there is no season or a shortened one.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
To impose some sort of imaginary deadline or start some kind of ticking clock, I guess.

But it already existed, so who knows.
No longer available. That's interesting. Someone must have liked how that sounded. It definitely sounded bad.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Welp, he signed it, about an hour ago.

Top Bottom