Dak Watch Thread...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sure, I'd be game for it if Dak refuses 35/year, the upside is that if none of it works we have more than enough ammunition to target a QB in the draft next year.

With that said I think 4/140 gets it done tomorrow, so if it were me I'd just give him that and move on.
I'm ignoring the ridiculous posts that say I want Cam over Dak. I think they missed reading your first post. I think a healthy Cam is better than Dalton though.

There's no way a deal with Dak doesn't get done.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The team should be low-key gauging what sort of trade market exists for Dak, if a team like Jacksonville or Carolina is willing to give you two 1's and change I'd take it and run, presuming he's pushing for more than 35/year.

We can go 10-6 with Dalton and with our offensive talent and proper coaching who knows what could happen in the playoffs?

Shit ass Tennessee was up by 10 a few minutes from halftime at Kansas City in the AFC Championship with Ryan Tannehill at QB.

And if we don't we're in prime position to potentially move up for Lawrence.
I'm not really into the idea of 2 firsts for Dak. I guess my thought process is that I think Dalton could maybe lead us to 8-8. So then you have 3 first round picks, 2 in a trade and one of our own. But that may not give you the top pick. Especially if a team like Carolina or Jacksonville win because they have Dak at QB. Hell with Lawrence the top team in the draft might not even be willing to talk trade. So instead you're looking at a guy like Justin Fields. And I don't feel that good about it. Now you have a veteran like Dalton who can get you mediocrity or starting fresh with a young QB not named Lawrence. By the time you figure out a real QB guys like Zeke/Lawrence career will be over or they will be on their downside. Just seems like we would be missing a window by doing something like that.

The easiest solution is to just pay Dak on a 4 year deal and bite the bullet.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I think a healthy Cam is better than Dalton though.
I said the same thing when we signed Dalton. Last time we saw Cam healthy, he was dueling Brees in the Superdome in that riveting playoff game. Meanwhile, Andy was losing to the likes of Matt Schaub and TJ Yates. Personality and a questionable foot kept Cam out of Dallas, not ability.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The easiest solution is to just pay Dak on a 4 year deal and bite the bullet.
No one wants to go down the other route, hence the justified exclusive franchise tag.

The team is being silly with their 5 year ask without corresponding bump.

Frankly, COVID is going to seriously dent NFL income in 2020 and might wipe it out if there isn't a season. Who knows what the cap will be like after 4 years?

It might grow only slightly, in which case paying Dak for 5 years might be over-committing.

4 years is good for everyone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I said the same thing when we signed Dalton. Last time we saw Cam healthy, he was dueling Brees in the Superdome in that riveting playoff game. Meanwhile, Andy was losing to the likes of Matt Schaub and TJ Yates. Personality and a questionable foot kept Cam out of Dallas, not ability.
People in the Carolinas are too close to the frustration Cam's injuries have caused, and Cam's flamboyance is off-putting and generates backlash in general.

A healthy Cam is better than Andy Dalton, and everyone is better than Cooper Rush. I'd rather have Cooper Manning

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
People in the Carolinas are too close to the frustration Cam's injuries have caused, and Cam's flamboyance is off-putting and generates backlash in general.

A healthy Cam is better than Andy Dalton, and everyone is better than Cooper Rush. I'd rather have Cooper Manning
Cam's accuracy is awful. You like to bitch about Daks but the guy can't hit a broad side of a barn most of the time. He is an amazing athlete though. I just wonder with his injuries if running the ball isn't his thing anymore.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cam's accuracy is awful. You like to bitch about Daks but the guy can't hit a broad side of a barn most of the time. He is an amazing athlete though. I just wonder with his injuries if running the ball isn't his thing anymore.
His injuries have really made him rusty for sure, especially last year. Yeah, he's probably more of an unknown at this point given he's had most of nearly two years off.

First, off, I'm nitpicking Dak's accuracy. He's a whole class better than either Dalton or Newton in terms of pure accuracy. Does Dak have stuff to work on? Sure, and I'm confident M2 will drill on these gaps in his game. Dak wants to improve, he's probably the most coachable QB I've seen.

In terms of pocket vs mobility style, Dalton and Newton represent extremes where Dak is in the middle where the best QBs IMO should be.

This comes down to projecting where the backup takes Dallas's offensive supporting cast, which is simply dominant at every position but TE and FB. I feel like a healthy Newton could stretch the field. I don't feel that way about Dalton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This comes down to projecting where the backup takes Dallas's offensive supporting cast, which is simply dominant at every position but TE and FB. I feel like a healthy Newton could stretch the field. I don't feel that way about Dalton.
If Cam's personality was different he would make a great backup. Unfortunately he doesn't have that personality.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Cam's personality was different he would make a great backup. Unfortunately he doesn't have that personality.
Maybe so. He certainly thinks of himself as a starter, though the front offices of 32 teams do not. When the fricking Bears don't sign you, you need to catch a hint.

I guess Trubisky's people just keep popping in tape of the 2019 Cowboys game whenever front office folks start making noise about Newton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe so. He certainly thinks of himself as a starter, though the front offices of 32 teams do not. When the fricking Bears don't sign you, you need to catch a hint.

I guess Trubisky's people just keep popping in tape of the 2019 Cowboys game whenever front office folks start making noise about Newton.
I mean for a few games I'd have Cam run the ball a shit ton and probably win games doing so. But as a starter that's just not a good idea anymore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Newton has seen his best days. As has been observed his passing is erratic and his physical advantage with speed and size has been considerably lessened with some unknowns about possible injuries. I am not enthused about his prospects.

data

Forbes #1
Anyone that’s missed combined 16 games over the last 3 seasons is definitely an injury concern at this point.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would not take Cam over even Dalton.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would not take Cam over even Dalton.
Neither would I. He is a gimmick QB. Great running the ball because he was so big and athletic. But he is now breaking down, so the one part of his game that made him tough to defend is fading. His passing is barely passable. Now that the threat of his running is no longer scaring teams, he is an average QB. Maybe. His lack of a job is proof of that.

If he wants to continue playing in this league, he's going to need to be honest with himself and come waaaaay down on his asking price.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Neither would I. He is a gimmick QB. Great running the ball because he was so big and athletic. But he is now breaking down, so the one part of his game that made him tough to defend is fading. His passing is barely passable. Now that the threat of his running is no longer scaring teams, he is an average QB. Maybe. His lack of a job is proof of that.

If he wants to continue playing in this league, he's going to need to be honest with himself and come waaaaay down on his asking price.
Do you think Newton could transition to a tight end position with some coaching? I think if he stays in the league he will have to abandon the idea of being a QB. His physical makeup is a lot like Keyshawn Johnson but faster.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Do you think Newton could transition to a tight end position with some coaching? I think if he stays in the league he will have to abandon the idea of being a QB. His physical makeup is a lot like Keyshawn Johnson but faster.
Big wideout

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Big wideout
Yeah along those lines. May or may not be plausible. Depends on his attitude and possible hands. My bottom line thoughts are that he probably has to big an ego to consider it if offered.

Top Bottom