Dak Watch Thread...

GShock

DCC 4Life
Cousins with a $66M extension bringing him up to $32M/year.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll bet if we looked back, there were a lot of guys on this board that didn’t want to sign him then. Wanted him to prove it first.
Oh a ton of people on this board said wait, make him prove it. A ton more said franchise him, make him prove it again.

Lost in all this is that guys like Amari Cooper and Byron Jones can now walk with no compensation back because you've twiddled your thumbs with the QB for so long. And the price just keeps going up. Having the franchise tag available for Cooper or Jones at least gives you flexibility to trade them.

Cooper walks, who in free agency fills that role for us? You can't find young #1 recievers in free agency. So now you have to draft a guy or risk leaving Dak with scraps.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Oh a ton of people on this board said wait, make him prove it. A ton more said franchise him, make him prove it again.
And now those same people are bitching that we didn’t lock him up sooner. That we were stupid to wait, because all it did was drive up the price.

Can’t win for losing. No different than the people who cry about Trump not doing anything over Corona, then wail and gnash their teeth when he does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And now those same people are bitching that we didn’t lock him up sooner. That we were stupid to wait, because all it did was drive up the price.

Can’t win for losing. No different than the people who cry about Trump not doing anything over Corona, then wail and gnash their teeth when he does.
Yeah I was one who wanted it done last offseason. Above Zeke's contract and Amari's but I was definitely in the minority.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah I was one who wanted it done last offseason. Above Zeke's contract and Amari's but I was definitely in the minority.
You weren't the only one.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nobody was giving two 1's for Lawrence.

The problem is that these guys don't plan ahead, they push everything to the limit thinking that "deadlines will make deals" and ultimately they're just boxing themselves in. The way to not letting these guys hold you over a barrel is by bringing in replacements a year earlier and developing an exit strategy, these guys never have an exit strategy.
Exactly. They wait and now they are in a pickle. There was an article in February that they hadnt talked to Dak since September. Even if you wait for the season they still blew a month and a half.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
The point was that I believe that he too could've succeeded big and accomplished a lot of the same things that another QB who is both considered a HOF and was similar in play style was able to accomplish.

It's a compliment to Romo.

But I can't consider them equals if Ben actually did accomplish those things and Romo didn't.

Plus, how many Super Bowls would Ben, or even Tom, have won if they had been playing in Dallas? All my money would be on zero.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So...is this more of a financial move? Or a sign that they don't want him long term?
It just might be a message that Dak should entertain another offer on the GMs terms or a for sale sign goes up down the road if the winning percentage drops below a certain level. Either Dak or his agent or both are not reading the operating method of Jones currently about what happens when he did not wrap up a contract deal with Garrett and pulled the plug when time ran out because of the winning percentage. It appears Jones isn’t ready to accommodate a player or coach now until they fulfill his criteria. Jones has now put his plan out there first and displayed what happens if the party doesn’t deliver. The ball is now in Daks court.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Then who would be your preference? If Rivers would command $25M, would you go for Jameis Winston/Mariota for less? Would you trade for Nick Foles? Or roll with Cooper Rush?
I don't know, to be honest I haven't thought about it because I know the Joneses would never do it anyway. :shrug I know there aren't many decent options out there, though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know, to be honest I haven't thought about it because I know the Joneses would never do it anyway. :shrug I know there aren't many decent options out there, though.
Yeah I don't think there any real QB solutions. Your best hope is Brady and draft one of these QBs. Maybe McCarthy could groom a Jordan Love or something.

Not a great option though in my opinion.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

In other words, they are fuckin' rubes thinking offering more than Wentz or Goff matters.

This is about the future QB contracts because well, they allowed it to get to this point.

QB contracts will be year to year as the cap space grows.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If the only holdup to getting it done is 4 years vs. 5 then they are literal morons.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Source: Cowboys offer Dak Prescott one of the largest contracts in NFL history

Dak Prescott is seeking a four-year deal while the Cowboys are offering five years.

By Calvin Watkins

9:19 PM on Mar 16, 2020

The Cowboys have offered quarterback Dak Prescott one of the largest contracts in NFL history a source said. The Cowboys’ proposal to Prescott is more than what Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff and Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz received in their extensions last year.

As it stands, the Cowboys placed the exclusive tag on Prescott on Monday to a projected $31.6 million. However, Prescott’s agent, Todd France, and the franchise continue to talk about reaching a long-term deal.

One of the major holdups in the deal is length. Prescott would like a four-year contract while the Cowboys are seeking a five-year deal.

A shorter deal would allow Prescott to come back to the table, after large contracts are settled with Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes and Houston’s Deshaun Watson. Prescott will be 30 in 2023, the last year of an expected contract, which would be in his prime.

In the last year, Goff, Wentz and Russell Wilson, reached new deals that set the market for that position.

All three quarterbacks, with one year remaining on their deals, received four-year extensions. Wilson signed for a total of $140 million with $107 million guaranteed. Wilson has the highest average salary in the NFL at $35 million.

Wentz also signed a four-year extension worth $128 million with $107.9 million in guarantees. Wentz averages 32 million per season.

Goff has the highest total guarantees at $110 million and averages $33.5 million per season.

The last known figures the Cowboys have offered Prescott was an average salary of $33 million with guarantees of $105 million. But now they’ve surpassed those numbers as they seek to end these talks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously, every other QB is getting a 4 year deal. Why does Dallas care that much about 1 more year?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Seriously, every other QB is getting a 4 year deal. Why does Dallas care that much about 1 more year?
Because they have said all offseason they want to have the flexibility to keep their own guys or sign others, etc.

So they're probably obsessing over the extra 5 to 10 million per year season and how it would affect their cap for each respective season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Because they have said all offseason they want to have the flexibility to keep their own guys or sign others, etc.

So they're probably obsessing over the extra 5 to 10 million per year season and how it would affect their cap for each respective season.
I think they want more flexibility to restructure the deal and increase his bonus amortization divisor +1.

Unlike Wentz, Goff, and Garoppolo they are confident in what they have with Dak in terms of both health and skill. As far as Rodgers goes, who knows if he will even be QBing in four years. From the perspective of those teams, four years is a solid enough commitment given the uncertainty surrounding their guy.

Wilson otoh will likely still be in Seattle after his current deal expires, and I wonder if the Seahawks also held out for a longer term when they negotiated.

It’s the only other deal you’d really want to go five years of guaranteed money with, imo, with the knowledge available at the time of signing.

langston

Brand New Member
The Jones's are like skid marks on drawers, bleach them all you want but that skid mark will still be there. I SHAKE MY HEAD just wondering when will all the stupidity end. We went from being average to below average, it really goes all the way back to giving Zeke WAYYYY too much money. Had Jerry done what LA Chargers did to Gordon, they may have saved a little bit of money.
Pollard was doing pretty darn good and even got Jerry responding by saying Zeke who......
Its too late now Jerry stuck it in and pulled out late, over paid for Cooper. Should have dangled him out there for feelers on draft picks.
Fo sho should have put the feelers out for DOOKIE Prescott and see what would been available for him. Now everyone is jumping ship because they know the team went south, signing old as fuck players is not the solution.
Again I SHAKE MY HEAD.
Lets see what the BOYS can do this year, maybe some sort of miracle can happen.

Top Bottom