Dak Watch Thread...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I didn’t say you were adamant about anything. Rev said that as memory serves me.
I could just sit on the fence and not say anything and then when it doesnt happen In can say I knew that. It wasn't just me that thought he was going number 1 and the only thing that I was adamant about was just saying nothing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I could just sit on the fence and not say anything and then when it doesnt happen In can say I knew that. It wasn't just me that thought he was going number 1 and the only thing that I was adamant about was just saying nothing.
That wasn’t the point at all. I was responding to a post by CRocks about Tua and his current injury situation and recalling when I had stated in the past that he could be injured again and change the whole status. Sure enough he was injured again so now what? For some reason Smith felt i was mischaracterizing the whole thing and thought I was talking about him. At that point I stated I recalled you for one as who I remembered as part of the conversation. Somehow this lit a fuse.

Rev

Staff member
That wasn’t the point at all. I was responding to a post by CRocks about Tua and his current injury situation and recalling when I had stated in the past that he could be injured again and change the whole status. Sure enough he was injured again so now what? For some reason Smith felt i was mischaracterizing the whole thing and thought I was talking about him. At that point I stated I recalled you for one as who I remembered as part of the conversation. Somehow this lit a fuse.

I'm talking about the original conversation months ago between you and I. I did say that I thought (which is all anybody has here whether you want to say adamant or not) Tua was going to go #1. It wasnt a stretch at all to say that at all. Probably the easiest assumption make and probably even so had he not had the hip injury. The hip injury that is still going to get him a top pick. I know Burrow is the flavor of the month but Tua has been doing it for 3 years. Not a single great season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm talking about the original conversation months ago between you and I. I did say that I thought (which is all anybody has here whether you want to say adamant or not) Tua was going to go #1. It wasnt a stretch at all to say that at all. Probably the easiest assumption make and probably even so had he not had the hip injury. The hip injury that is still going to get him a top pick. I know Burrow is the flavor of the month but Tua has been doing it for 3 years. Not a single great season.
Yeah that was the conversation and I thought then it might be to soon to anoint him with a whole season to play. I don’t know how all the other static got into the conversation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So dumpster diving again.

Really cool how that works out when literally every other team can go out and make impact moves either via FA or trade.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Man, I know i’m going to get roasted over the coals for this, and beat over the head with our QB list between Aikman and Romo, but I wouldn’t pay Dak that all world QB money. Not for a millisecond.

Rev

Staff member
Man, I know i’m going to get roasted over the coals for this, and beat over the head with our QB list between Aikman and Romo, but I wouldn’t pay Dak that all world QB money. Not for a millisecond.
You do know that the team was going to pick the likes of Paxton Lynch and Conner Cook over Dak, right? No way do I trust them to get it right. Just build around Dak.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You do know that the team was going to pick the likes of Paxton Lynch and Conner Cook over Dak, right? No way do I trust them to get it right. Just build around Dak.
And loved Johnny Manzel

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Trust me, I get that. Fundamentally, it comes down to a front office mindset of would you rather try and prop someone up in hopes they can be good enough to win it all, or roll the dice and make a move for someone you think can be a franchise guy?

Me, I would rather swing. You can point out our track record, but I won’t have to look far to show you that most every other team in the league has an awful record evaluating QB’s. Teams have won with average or slightly above average guys before, but that has almost always been a result of some obscene advantage on one side of the ball, or the other. Because those rosters were stacked elsewhere, so a QB didn’t have to do as much.

You pay Dak that money, and we won’t have near the financial flexibility needed to build a team around him. However, I will say that I’m reserving final judgment until next season concludes. One cannot understate the ineptitude of Garrett, and his entire staff. But even from a fundamental standpoint, Dak does not impress me unless he is on the move.

Rev

Staff member
Trust me, I get that. Fundamentally, it comes down to a front office mindset of would you rather try and prop someone up in hopes they can be good enough to win it all, or roll the dice and make a move for someone you think can be a franchise guy?

Me, I would rather swing. You can point out our track record, but I won’t have to look far to show you that most every other team in the league has an awful record evaluating QB’s. Teams have won with average or slightly above average guys before, but that has almost always been a result of some obscene advantage on one side of the ball, or the other. Because those rosters were stacked elsewhere, so a QB didn’t have to do as much.

You pay Dak that money, and we won’t have near the financial flexibility needed to build a team around him. However, I will say that I’m reserving final judgment until next season concludes. One cannot understate the ineptitude of Garrett, and his entire staff. But even from a fundamental standpoint, Dak does not impress me unless he is on the move.

Salary cap keeps increasing and the CBA is bound to increase it as well. Im not too worried about the salary cap implications.

I would like to get a sure shot QB as well but these guys arent going to be able to uncover it. This team has traded up twice for Quincy, pinned their hopes on former baseball players, and retread players at the end of their careers. The only guy they developed was due to a guy not in the organization anymore. We all would have better odds winning the lottery at the same time.

Dak may have some warts but he took a running team and turned it into one that moves with his arm. The offense was far from the reason we underachieved.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Salary cap keeps increasing and the CBA is bound to increase it as well. Im not too worried about the salary cap implications.

I would like to get a sure shot QB as well but these guys arent going to be able to uncover it. This team has traded up twice for Quincy, pinned their hopes on former baseball players, and retread players at the end of their careers. The only guy they developed was due to a guy not in the organization anymore. We all would have better odds winning the lottery at the same time.

Dak may have some warts but he took a running team and turned it into one that moves with his arm. The offense was far from the reason we underachieved.
Yeah, the offense wasn’t the reason we underachieved, but how could it? We had two thousand yards receivers, multiple guys who have been named All Pros on our line, and an All Pro at running back. Please, tell me one team out there that has had a better situation from strictly a personnel standpoint for a QB? There is none. Like I said before, coaching obviously plays it part. Yet you also reference our past, not acknowledging that since McClay has came aboard and dipshit Jr. got more of a voice that we have drafted better. And you can reference the cap/CBA all you want, but as has been reported, Dak wants a shorter contract. So say we give him the four year deal that we’ve seen, and he starts talking about extension after year 3. How much of a bargain do you really think we will get long term?

I hate to reference the eye test, but if any of you see Dak as a guy that can win on his own, or carry inferior players to victory, you are sadly mistaken. Now whether or not you think he is good enough to win a title here is one thing. But he will never be in the top five tier of QB’s, and that’s what we will be paying for.

data

Forbes #1
But he will never be in the top five tier of QB’s, and that’s what we will be paying for.
Conceptually, that’s fine.

In execution, though, how far down in QB-quality you talking about? We’ve got Zeke, Amari/Gallup and Pro Bowl OL.

So you okay with the combo of signing Marcus Mariota to enable the financial freedom of getting Chris Jones (DT) and Jimmie Ward (S)?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Conceptually, that’s fine.

In execution, though, how far down in QB-quality you talking about? We’ve got Zeke, Amari/Gallup and Pro Bowl OL.

So you okay with the combo of signing Marcus Mariota to enable the financial freedom of getting Chris Jones (DT) and Jimmie Ward (S)?
I'm not so sure he can't be top 5. The Brady, Beese, Rodgers types are at the end of their careers. Dak just threw for almost 5000 yards and he has won the divison 2 out of 4 years of his career. The dude is a winner and has shown the ability to sling it. With a new coach I wouldn't be surprised to see him take his game to the next level. He is already top 10.

Top Bottom