Cowboys Start DC Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Am I the only one not overly impressed with Vrabel, even just as a DC?

I get the toughness vibes that people are enamored with, but I don't get a sense that he's particularly impressive with Xs and Os.
I thought he did a pretty good job with the Titans considering what he had at QB.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I thought he did a pretty good job with the Titans considering what he had at QB.

I guess but he also leaned pretty heavily on Derrick Henry, who doesn't grow on trees.

He's coming off of 6 and 7 win seasons, and has exactly 2 double digit win seasons in 6 years and a 2-3 playoff record. Out side of their one season run, he is 0-2 in the playoffs, including winless playoffs in 11 & 12 win seasons (which we're currently eviscerating McCarthy for by the way).

And fair enough that he never really had a franchise QB...but he was there 6 years. Doesn't he take some of the blame for never finding a franchise QB in all that time?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He's coming off of 6 and 7 win seasons, and has exactly 2 double digit win seasons in 6 years and a 2-3 playoff record. Out side of their one season run, he is 0-2 in the playoffs, including winless playoffs in 11 & 12 win seasons (which we're currently eviscerating McCarthy for by the way).
That's very fair.

I like Vrabel a lot, partly because we've had two offensively-minded HCs in a row and I think he'd bring a toughness element that hasn't been there. But, and it's a big but, would Jerry even let him coach the team the same way he did in Tennessee?

And good point on McCarthy. I'm not sure even the top-top coaches would have done any better here. This last one was a disaster, but how much of that was Quinn and the defense pouting or whatever anomaly happened there? People always want blood when we lose, but that doesn't mean the next guy will do any better with the same players.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Bull fucking shit.

If he's actually a possibility he's a clear number one. Hell, I'd take him as HC over McCarthy right now.
Why? What has he done as a HC that is so great? Really?

He has had arguably the best RB in the league for most of his coaching career and a pretty decent defense and hasn't won anything. Got 12 wins and an early playoff exit once, tho. Sound familiar?

Maybe it was his starting 7-3 this year then dropping the final 7 games to miss the playoffs that makes him so enticing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I don't know about that (see my above post on Vrabel). I'm not impressed.
I get it but I think you have to look at his results on a curve considering at full strength Tannehill was their QB, a guy who is barely even an average starter, and over the last two years he's missed a significant number of games while they've started rookies.

Drop Dak Prescott in Tennessee in 2019 and I'm pretty sure Vrabel would've made it to a SB, or at least gotten to 1-2 more AFCC's than he did.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

He has had arguably the best RB in the league for most of his coaching career and a pretty decent defense and hasn't won anything. Got 12 wins and an early playoff exit once, tho. Sound familiar?

Maybe it was his starting 7-3 this year then dropping the final 7 games to miss the playoffs that makes him so enticing.
He made an AFCC and was the 1 seed in another year with Ryan Tannehill playing QB.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Drop Dak Prescott in Tennessee in 2019 and I'm pretty sure Vrabel would've made it to a SB, or at least gotten to 1-2 more AFCC's than he did.
Drop Derrick Henry in Dallas a few years ago and I bet you'd have seen the NFCC and Superbowl in Dallas, too.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He made an AFCC and was the 1 seed in another year with Ryan Tannehill playing QB.
Good for him. He caught lightning in a bottle one year with an elite running game and defense. Then.... nothing.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I get it but I think you have to look at his results on a curve considering at full strength Tannehill was their QB, a guy who is barely even an average starter, and over the last two years he's missed a significant number of games while they've started rookies.

If a HC has had 6 years and didn't come up with a viable QB in all that time that's kind of on him at that point. I can't grade on a curve after 6 seasons. At some point you are what you are.

Your point about Dak, I don't think I believe that given how Dak has tended to perform in the postseason so far.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

It's very possible he's no better than McCarthy... but then, I like McCarthy and think he's done a good job here.

The problem is, like we've talked about, the bar is so ridiculously high for McCarthy this year that he'll have a gun pointed at his head the entire year. And that kind of situation makes it hard for any coach to excel. So I think we're getting a new coach anyway.

Now will that new guy actually be a better coach than MM? Good chance he won't be.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If a HC has had 6 years and didn't come up with a viable QB in all that time that's kind of on him at that point. I can't grade on a curve after 6 seasons. At some point you are what you are.

Your point about Dak, I don't think I believe that given how Dak has tended to perform in the postseason so far.
Maybe if he was a QB whisperer type you could blame him but ultimately talent acquisition is on the front office, and especially when you have a coach with a defensive background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom