Cowboys Sign Ezekiel Elliott

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I wouldn’t care they brought Zeke back had the brain trust picked up a dynamic RB in the draft. At least there’s a mentor element to that. But to bring him back outside of that is pure laziness.

Really sad how the season is going to be wasted once again because we have total fucktards running the franchise.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wouldn’t care they brought Zeke back had the brain trust picked up a dynamic RB in the draft.
I would. One, because what kind of mentor is he going to be? How to party like a rock star around Dallas? How to not train like a Derrick Henry so you have a longer career before you're washed?

I'm not trying to be melodramatic, but this is one of the most damning moves I can remember in a while. Jerry as much as admitted in the recent PCs that this is about how much he loves Zeke and his "legacy" and has nothing to do with how good a player he is now, which should be all that matters.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lost in all of this is the stark reality that Rico Dowdle gets the majority of the carries. I am just speechless at the thought, it is so ignorant to how this league works. RBs don’t really matter and shouldn’t get paid, but you don’t have to peddle out dogshit to prove that point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zeke had over 900 scrimmage yards last year on a really bad offense.

1100 yards from scrimmage seems like a lot but it's not impossible that he hits that incentive.
If they force him on the field he could meet all the incentives while still sucking. I guess we will see.

p1_

DCC 4Life
"Ezekiel Elliott, #Cowboys remained in communication following the initial parting of ways — reuniting in 2024 to provide stability, mentoring and a proven short-yardage and goal line threat to the depth chart in Dallas."

I'll say this for those of us nervous that they signed him to be the lead back. The team mouthpiece is saying otherwise so that may be an indication that the team looks at him as a specialty part time player.

On the other hand, who is the lead back? Dowdle?
Zeke as part timer is pretty much a given. RB by committee, with no true lead.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zeke as part timer is pretty much a given. RB by committee, with no true lead.
Runningback by committee is the right approach. But that doesn't mean you don't need talented RBs. It means you need more than one talented RB. There are NFL teams that have 3 RBs all better than the best guy in our committee. That's where the real problem is.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I would. One, because what kind of mentor is he going to be? How to party like a rock star around Dallas? How to not train like a Derrick Henry so you have a longer career before you're washed?

I'm not trying to be melodramatic, but this is one of the most damning moves I can remember in a while. Jerry as much as admitted in the recent PCs that this is about how much he loves Zeke and his "legacy" and has nothing to do with how good a player he is now, which should be all that matters.
In all fairness, b/c he was splitting carries with Murray, Henry only had 286 carriers over his first two seasons, meanwhile Zeke accumulated
564 b/c, well... you know:

:robowink

SnapSnap
RkPlayerAgeFromToGGSOffSnpOff%DefSnpDef%STSnpST %
1Ezekiel Elliott21-2820162023120107582474.100.0180.6
2Derrick Henry22-292016202311988399054.200.000.0

Also consider the number snaps... how many blocks did he make in pass protection? Those count towards cumulative wear and tear too (and Dak is not known for getting rid of the ball quickly either).

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
No doubt they ran him into the ground his first few years.

That's what Jimmy said to do: Use them up, then get another one. Jerry just couldn't bring himself to do the second part.

Top Bottom