Cowboys Sign Ezekiel Elliott

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt they ran him into the ground his first few years.

That's what Jimmy said to do: Use them up, then get another one. Jerry just couldn't bring himself to do the second part.
Yeah the strategy is to use them up, draft one and then let him walk. Basically just draft a guy every 3-4 years. Never keep one beyond 4 to 5 years.

Last edited:

Cujo

DCC 4Life
In all fairness, b/c he was splitting carries with Murray, Henry only had 286 carriers over his first two seasons, meanwhile Zeke accumulated
564 b/c, well... you know:

:robowink

SnapSnap
RkPlayerAgeFromToGGSOffSnpOff%DefSnpDef%STSnpST %
1Ezekiel Elliott21-2820162023120107582474.100.0180.6
2Derrick Henry22-292016202311988399054.200.000.0
Also consider the number snaps... how many blocks did he make in pass protection? Those count towards cumulative wear and tear too (and Dak is not known for getting rid of the ball quickly either).

And they ran him like a mule at Ohio St. too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And they ran him like a mule at Ohio St. too.
That's the hard part, you want the 1500 yard college production but you don't want a bunch of carries either. Ollie Gordon looks awesome but would another 1700 yard season be a good thing or a bad thing?

Cujo

DCC 4Life
That's the hard part, you want the 1500 yard college production but you don't want a bunch of carries either. Ollie Gordon looks awesome but would another 1700 yard season be a good thing or a bad thing?

Hard to say. Might be wiser to start paying attention to ypc so long as they have a large enough sample size to use as a predictor. I suspect the position will continue to be devalued.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hard to say. Might be wiser to start paying attention to ypc so long as they have a large enough sample size to use as a predictor. I suspect the position will continue to be devalued.
The position is where you don’t give a fat piece of the pie to one guy but you split the pie among three other guys and hope they equal one solid one. Get it?

Cujo

DCC 4Life
The position is where you don’t give a fat piece of the pie to one guy but you split the pie among three other guys and hope they equal one solid one. Get it?

Exactly what I've been saying for several years now, so yeah I get it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You definitely see guys who have right around 1000 yards rushing per season in college almost get a bump compared to the Blake Corum's because teams don't want the guy who rushed for 3000-4000 yards in college.

Johnathan Brooks, one year of great production. Like Henderson probably should have jumped to the NFL.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
So, let's see. A rookie LT, a rookie guard (or center), a mediocre center, a stud RG but now on his last legs, a third-rate RT.

At RB: Elliott, Dowdle, Luepke, Vaughn, et al.

When MM took over as OC, his announced intention was to "run the damn ball."

If Prescott has any brains or foresight, he could look forward to a whole season of 2nd and 8, 3rd and 6, with two rookie OLinemen and one turnstile RT protecting you on 3rd down — the plays being called by a lame-duck HC whose play calling has mostly sucked when it really counted.

The pockmarked fat-fuck and the herpes-ridden skeleton-fossil are setting Prescott up for failure.

Dude, find a way to get yourself on IR and get the fuck out of there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, let's see. A rookie LT, a rookie guard (or center), a mediocre center, a stud RG but now on his last legs, a third-rate RT.
I mean you're kind of mixing up two scenarios. We either have a rookie LT and a rookie center or we only have one rookie starting but Hoffman/Bass at center.

Anyway, I don't think anyone right now holds out high hopes for next season. That RB group is a joke right now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The OL could be really good depending on what happens at center. The RB situation though...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The OL could be really good depending on what happens at center. The RB situation though...
I think a great center makes such a huge difference for this Oline. It's why I was all for Barton. We had Tyler Smith and Zach Martin last year and still couldn't run up the middle at all. The very obvious reason is Biadasz. If Beebe can handle snapping it could be a huge impact. Sure RBs and scheme will continue to be a problem but the players up front shouldn't.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
yeah, if we put together a really good line and the backs suck, we've wasted talent.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
yeah, if we put together a really good line and the backs suck, we've wasted talent.
But if you aren't worried about one specific year and are planning for 4-6 years into the future then you aren't too worried.

Stephen!

• Props

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Imagine if Zeke somehow kills this year-- the opportunity cost of not having found a young breakaway threat who would have dominated behind our OL.

• Props

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I mean you're kind of mixing up two scenarios. We either have a rookie LT and a rookie center or we only have one rookie starting but Hoffman/Bass at center.

Anyway, I don't think anyone right now holds out high hopes for next season. That RB group is a joke right now.
I can't remember us having such a weak running game. Maybe the Hambrick days?

Top Bottom