Cowboys Sign Anthony Barr

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The team itself clearly views Armstrong as an afterthought considering:

• They gave him less than half of what they offered Gregory.
  • They tried to sign Gregory.
  • They tried to sign Von Miller.
  • They signed Dante Fowler
  • They used a premium draft pick on a pass rusher
Quote all the stats you want but the eye test should tell you Gregory is a much more consistently disruptive player. Parsons, Lawrence, and Gregory on the field together was magical and it's a shame it didn't last long term.

Die on the hill of "Armstrong doesn't suck" if anyone wants, but he's a JAG.
Brother, I think it is you that is climbing a hill.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's a good rotational player, there's plenty of value in that. I don't think anybody is suggesting that he should be one of our top 2 edge rushers but he has an important role to play.

I've been responding to Ravi who several times throughout the offseason has basically suggested that Armstrong is not a major downgrade from Gregory. They aren't in the same stratosphere as far as I'm concerned.

It's like trying to pump up someone like George Selvie. Let's not get carried away, the guy's a JAG.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've been responding to Ravi who several times throughout the offseason has basically suggested that Armstrong is not a major downgrade from Gregory. They aren't in the same stratosphere as far as I'm concerned.

It's like trying to pump up someone like George Selvie. Let's not get carried away, the guy's a JAG.
He's definitely not a 1:1 replacement for Gregory by any stretch, although I think he's a good bit better than a guy like Selvie.

In totality, I think Williams/Fowler/Armstrong will be roughly as good if not better than Gregory on his own, with Williams having the potential to be better by year 2 or 3. I just wish they had actually been serious about Miller as opposed to basically bs'ing him around by offering the exact same deal as Gregory.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Generally speaking I'm pretty excited about the direction on defense.

The only guys we've lost from last year that played any sort of significant snaps are Gregory, Kazee and Neal. The last two are inconsequential for the most part, whereas I think they've done a decent job replacing Gregory.

We have a generational, likely future HOF'er in Parsons, a star in Diggs, an experienced but still in his prime vet/borderline star in Lawrence, and strong versatility/depth throughout the depth chart with:
  • 3 potential starting caliber safeties
  • 4 potential starting caliber CB's
  • LVE/Barr at traditional LB with Cox developing behind them and Kearse rotating in as a nickel/dime LB
  • Legit 6 deep at edge rusher (Lawrence, Parsons, Armstrong, Fowler, Williams, Basham) with a mix of stars, a rookie with lots of potential and guys who could credibly start for a few games and not embarrass themselves
The only problem is DT, where I think we're ok with Gallimore/Osa/Watkins with guys like Armstrong/Golston/Lawrence rotating in on clear passing downs, but that's the one area where if we had just a borderline star like Kenny Clark the unit could be elevated to a truly elite group.

The other good thing about it all is that very few core guys are free agents next year. They're mostly guys who should be easy to re-sign or relatively easy to replace in Watkins, Basham, Hill, Fowler, LVE, Barr, Wilson and Brown.

The unfortunate thing is that if Quinn leaves the defense probably goes back to being average since it's mostly predicated on depth, a few star players and Quinn being able to scheme things up around those guys.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Probably but I think Quinn is too good of a DC for the defense to not at least be above average.
I tend to agree with this. We have pretty good talent on defense to go along with an elite DC. I don't think we fall flat on our face. They may not lead the league in turnovers, but I don't see a big drop from last year. Adding Barr makes me feel a lot better.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I would say our effort for Von Miller was less than aggressive. We weren’t ever truly in that conversation. The right side will be an open question until Sam Williams gets adjusted. The Barr signing gives us the ability to put Parsons in the pass rush mix in so many ways .

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tend to agree with this. We have pretty good talent on defense to go along with an elite DC. I don't think we fall flat on our face. They may not lead the league in turnovers, but I don't see a big drop from last year. Adding Barr makes me feel a lot better.
I think we could be better in other areas on defense so that a drop in turnovers isn't as big of a deal. I think for example that we will be better against big plays this year. I think we could be a bit better in run defense this year. I think our LBer play in general is going to be better.

But who knows, the NFL is unpredictable. As soon as you expect one thing the opposite will happen so who knows.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Probably but I think Quinn is too good of a DC for the defense to not at least be above average.
I honestly think last year was a bit overachieving and a little touch of luck.

Don't get me wrong, I think Quinn is pretty good. The guy would have a Super Bowl win if Shanahan's kid could have understood that running the ball drains the clock.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I do too.

But, I think we have a lot of young improving players and we have almost everyone back, so I think they could be just as good even if they revert to the mean a bit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Edwards had some platitudes to say here.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Don't get me wrong, I think Quinn is pretty good. The guy would have a Super Bowl win if Shanahan's kid could have understood that running the ball drains the clock.
I think the turnovers last year were a huge anomaly and will not be repeated.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

First off (for the millionth time), no one is saying Armstrong is.a starter. I’m saying Randy Gregory is overrated.

Gregory has talent, he is fast and can bend. But he can never put it together long enough for it to really matter. Forgetting about all the suspensions, the guy gets hurt every year. He fades every year. Oh yeah, and he’s on PUP now.

Gregory was awesome in October then mostly just went away. He lacks staying power.

Hard to see how Sam Williams won’t be an upgrade over the 6 sack 30 year old wonder that is Randy Gregory.

Yeah I hear Gregory has good QB pressure stats, but pressures are a subjective and somewhat retarded stat because more than half of pressures are “hurries”— “a situation when the QB is forced to throw the ball earlier than intended or is chased around/out of the pocket as the result of defensive pressure”— that describes a very common situation in the NFL and is up to a statistician to decide.

I want to know when a player disrupted a play and caused something to go wrong. Every damned NFL QB can sidestep a rush and complete a pass.

“Pressures” should weigh 80% in favor of sacks (more for strip sacks) and forced negative plays. But the stupid stat counts hits, sacks, and hurries all the same irrespective of the outcome. It’s the biggest WGAS stat there is because a hurry could actually result in a fucking TD!

No one is saying Armstrong is worth 70 million, but he is a solid rotation guy who stays healthy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I’m saying Randy Gregory is overrated.
I believe we dodged a bullet there. The thing that bothers me is that there was the desire to bring back the band, with him as a major piece of it. He wasn't close to being the lifeblood of last year's defense.

No one is saying Armstrong is worth 70 million, but he is a solid rotation guy who stays healthy.
:permaban

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The other thing that bothers me is that they clearly were ready to give Gregory 14/year and when he turned it down they just packed it in, re-signed Armstrong and gave Fowler a throwaway deal.

There were plenty of other options out there in that 14/year range but they refuse to consider any external FA's unless they're willing to take about 3-4 on a 1 year deal.

Top Bottom