Cowboys Sign Anthony Barr

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

He probably fits best on run downs at LB and maybe occasionally rushing. We definitely don’t want him in there on passing downs in coverage all that much.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You don't want Barr covering TE's 15 yards down the seam but he's very effective in short/intermediate zones, basically what you'd expect out of a 3-4 OLB with more ability in the middle of the field.

I think he'll be in often in nickel/dime, not to be a primary coverage LB, but to crowd the line and confuse protection schemes with his ability to both blitz and credibly drop into basic zones, similar to Parsons.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
No fucking shit.

Parsons might put up damn near 20 this year as long as we aren't constantly playing from behind.
I actually feel really good about our pass rush. Maybe there aren't any superstars, but we have enough good pieces to mix and match between Lawrence, Williams, Fowler, ARMSTRONG, and of course Parsons. Like you said from the start, Barr gives us depth back there so that in case of injury (LVE), Parsons isn't stuck back coverage instead of up rushing on passing downs where he should be.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Armstrong quietly had a solid season last year backing up Gregory, one shy of equaling Randy's own sack total in a whole lot fewer snaps.

All those calls for Anae to have replaced him are long, long gone.

Armstrong is pedestrian. He should forever be an afterthought.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I actually feel really good about our pass rush. Maybe there aren't any superstars, but we have enough good pieces to mix and match between Lawrence, Williams, Fowler, ARMSTRONG, and of course Parsons. Like you said from the start, Barr gives us depth back there so that in case of injury (LVE), Parsons isn't stuck back coverage instead of up rushing on passing downs where he should be.
Yea, if we had gone balls to the wall with a Von Miller I'd argue that our pass rush could carry us to a Super Bowl.

As it is I think it'll still be very good and one of the best in the league, but not quite transcendent unless someone aside from Parsons just completely exceeds expectations (i.e. Lawrence going off for 10-12 sacks, Williams being way further along than expected, Fowler having a career year with 10 or so sacks, etc.).

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Armstrong is pedestrian. He should forever be an afterthought.
Were you one of the ones calling for Anae to replace him? Because that would have worked out… not at all.

Armstrong is a backup, and a really solid one. He ended up playing about 70 more snaps than Gregory and had just one fewer sack (5 vs 6) with a lot less fanfare and notoriety. Anae has a career total of 2 tackles to his name on just as many teams

Genghis Khan

Were you one of the ones calling for Anae to replace him? Because that would have worked out… not at all.

Armstrong is a backup, and a really solid one. He ended up playing about 70 more snaps than Gregory and had just one fewer sack (5 vs 6) with a lot less fanfare and notoriety. Anae has a career total of 2 tackles to his name on just as many teams

No but you're the only one talking about Anae. Also that's not a high bar.

Armstrong is pedestrian.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Armstrong is pretty underrated, he's definitely not as good as Gregory but the fact remains that his production was almost identical across the board (sacks, QB hits, TFL) in almost identical snaps.

He is nowhere near as explosive and doesn't bend anywhere near as well, but he's more stout against the run and can rush from the interior more with his size/physicality.

I don't think there's much separation between him and someone like Josh Sweat for example.

Genghis Khan

The team itself clearly views Armstrong as an afterthought considering:

• They gave him less than half of what they offered Gregory.
  • They tried to sign Gregory.
  • They tried to sign Von Miller.
  • They signed Dante Fowler
  • They used a premium draft pick on a pass rusher
Quote all the stats you want but the eye test should tell you Gregory is a much more consistently disruptive player. Parsons, Lawrence, and Gregory on the field together was magical and it's a shame it didn't last long term.

Die on the hill of "Armstrong doesn't suck" if anyone wants, but he's a JAG.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The team itself clearly views Armstrong as an afterthought considering:

• They gave him less than half of what they offered Gregory.
  • They tried to sign Gregory.
  • They tried to sign Von Miller.
  • They signed Dante Fowler
  • They used a premium draft pick on a pass rusher
Quote all the stats you want but the eye test should tell you Gregory is a much more consistently disruptive player. Parsons, Lawrence, and Gregory on the field together was magical and it's a shame it didn't last long term.

Die on the hill of "Armstrong doesn't suck" if anyone wants, but he's a JAG.
He's a good rotational player, there's plenty of value in that. I don't think anybody is suggesting that he should be one of our top 2 edge rushers but he has an important role to play.

Top Bottom