Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

data

Forbes #1
I do recall a strange story where Spears had a barely-maybe-not-even-teenage girl superfan while he was at LSU. Odd, actually uncomfortable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I do recall a strange story where Spears had a barely-maybe-not-even-teenage girl superfan while he was at LSU. Odd, actually uncomfortable.
I don’t remember that one. But that draft was a show. I still could never get over the crush Parcells had on Spears. He was doing all kinds of talk about playing him at LB. That did not last long until he faded into mediocrity.

• Picard
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don’t remember that one. But that draft was a show. I still could never get over the crush Parcells had on Spears. He was doing all kinds of talk about playing him at LB. That did not last long until he faded into mediocrity.
Parcells had a lot of whiffs while here.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

That's the whole thing about that trade though. Parcells supposedly threw a hissy fit when we picked Ware because he was afraid we were going to miss out on Spears.

What if we only have the 1 first? Do we pick Spears instead and never get Ware? I think we might've.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's the whole thing about that trade though. Parcells supposedly threw a hissy fit when we picked Ware because he was afraid we were going to miss out on Spears.

What if we only have the 1 first? Do we pick Spears instead and never get Ware? I think we might've.
That would have sucked.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

If it had been up to Bill, we absolutely would have. He was pouting when Jerry told him, sorry, we're picking Ware at 11.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It is funny hearing them give Parcells all the credit when that wasn't even his guy.

What did the DCC think about that pick at the time?

data

Forbes #1
Main thing I remember is there were a lot of people pissed we didn’t take Merriman. And that angst hung on for the first few years.
I was a believer after seeing Ware for the first time in a preseason game, beating Walter Jones off the snap before Jones could get out of his stance. WTF did I just see.

For the record, I really liked Derrick Johnson, but didn’t get my hopes up cuz we weren’t considering him due to not suiting our transitioning defense as well

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
The roids got Merriman.
The golden era of interwebz chatter.
Actual chat room. Merriman vs Ware debates. Newman vs Suggs. Taylor Hicks. Hutchinson vs Quinthy. GROZ. Pittdawg. Reserved red insider posts. Just not that damn important. DTC and Art. Realists vs pessimists vs optimists

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Randy Moss-ish 2.0 for me.

Fresh from Troy Hambone’s year. Steven Jackson, far and away best and only Tier 1 RB prospect, slips and falls ~10 spots right into our lap. Jerruh, tempted by the deep Tier 2 cadre of RBs, gets cute and trades out of the 1st with goal to trade back up and come out net picks positive.

Failed to trade back up, watches RB after RB after RB selected and is ‘lucky’ to land the last Tier 2 RB, Julius Jones.

That was my last straw with GM Jerruh.
Yeah, that was the maddest I've been at anything Cowboys related that didn't happen in a game.

I was so excited when Steven Jackson dropped to us and when the Cowboys didn't take him, I turned off my TV and didn't watch another minute of that 2004 draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, that was the maddest I've been at anything Cowboys related that didn't happen in a game.

I was so excited when Steven Jackson dropped to us and when the Cowboys didn't take him, I turned off my TV and didn't watch another minute of that 2004 draft.
I did not like that draft.

The Terrence Newman one, I started a kitchen fire.

So yeah, not the best years for me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
All that euphoria when he reached us at #22 to see it traded away.
:lol

Exactly.... That perfectly describes my emotions that day.

From the highest of the high to the lowest of the low all within minutes.

Top Bottom