Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I noticed that combo never won anything.

I don't know about you, but I'd strive for much much better than Dante Culpepper from my QB.

Many WRs at Dez's level or worse have won a super bowl. Very, very few Dante Culpepper types have won.
Oh no doubt. Many shitty QBs have made the Superbowl too but that wouldn't be my measuring stick. There are few perfect teams in the NFL. But no reason to pay a guy like Moss if you're getting far less.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not even close. Moss was one of the best receivers to ever play the game. He was astonisingly fast and had some of the surest hands ever.
Freakish speed especially for a guy who was 6'4" and could jump out of a building. I've never seen a better deep ball reciever.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Freakish speed especially for a guy who was 6'4" and could jump out of a building. I've never seen a better deep ball reciever.
Nope. The weird thing about him was his shitty attitude. He would take whole years off. He wasn't even stupid. Just...lazy I guess.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nope. The weird thing about him was his shitty attitude. He would take whole years off. He wasn't even stupid. Just...lazy I guess.
That’s the part about Moss I didn’t like. I can appreciate a independent attitude about people but his was almost hippy grounded. Too much of a free spirit becomes an undependable and unreliable player. When he played he was unstoppable but as you have pointed out wnen his chose his scheduling that was bad.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I for one hope he gets "disrespected" and throws a fit to the point he gets dumped.

It would be a mistake to restructure him as far as I am concerned. His cap hit this year is quite simply unreasonable given his current level of production.

Some of the suggestions about taking the money due this year and restructuring it over the next three years is just delaying the inevitable.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

I for one hope he gets "disrespected" and throws a fit to the point he gets dumped.

It would be a mistake to restructure him as far as I am concerned. His cap hit this year is quite simply unreasonable given his current level of production.

Some of the suggestions about taking the money due this year and restructuring it over the next three years is just delaying the inevitable.

Anything less than a clean break is just throwing good money after bad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything less than a clean break is just throwing good money after bad.
I'm ok with a straight pay cut. But none of this shuffling the money down the road but still paying him the same bullshit. I still think he is a useful tool we just need to put real speed around him and stop looking at him as a true #1.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm ok with a straight pay cut. But none of this shuffling the money down the road but still paying him the same bullshit. I still think he is a useful tool we just need to put real speed around him and stop looking at him as a true #1.
The longer he is paid like a true #1, the longer he will be viewed that way.

That is how we look at the roster. Until the player is gone and off the books, they start if they bring home big money. We sometimes don't even bother to give them competition until they are gone.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Oh no doubt. Many shitty QBs have made the Superbowl too but that wouldn't be my measuring stick. There are few perfect teams in the NFL. But no reason to pay a guy like Moss if you're getting far less.
I'm thinking back through New England's receivers over the last several years. It's entirely possible I'm missing one or more, but I don't seem to recall any speeding bullet, game-breaker type guys.

There's Brady, of course, but he's still had to throw to someone. Someone has to get open.

Could it be that the common denominator is the coaching? Duh? That good coaches adapt schemes and play calling to the personnel on hand at the moment?

And good coaches and front offices know when to part company with a player whose time has come and gone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm thinking back through New England's receivers over the last several years. It's entirely possible I'm missing one or more, but I don't seem to recall any speeding bullet, game-breaker type guys.

There's Brady, of course, but he's still had to throw to someone. Someone has to get open.

Could it be that the common denominator is the coaching? Duh? That good coaches adapt schemes and play calling to the personnel on hand at the moment?

And good coaches and front offices know when to part company with a player whose time has come and gone.
The Pats make due with what they have. They do value speed though, as evidenced by the Cooks acquisition.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Pats make due with what they have. They do value speed though, as evidenced by the Cooks acquisition.
They value professionals first and foremost. Gronk produces mismatches they take advantage of, and of course Tom Brady is as good a QB as there has ever been.

But if you can’t run routes, the Pats don’t want you.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Stafford got better after Megatron retired, but hey, we just have to retain Dez.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stafford got better after Megatron retired, but hey, we just have to retain Dez.
Yeah WR is a funny position. You throw a guy enough balls and his numbers will usually look good. But does that mean the guy is really helping the offense? Not necessarily. Other than like Antonio Brown and Julio Jones it seems like the NFL has sort of moved away from the true number 1 WR's but that doesn't really make it any less crucial that you have WR's. It just means you need 3 or 4 guys who can get the job done as opposed to just one. Offenses want to spread you out more these days and pick you apart as opposed to running 2 WR sets with a go to guy.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Good to hear that Tyron doesn't need surgery this offseason. Would be great if he could play a full healthy season next year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
"Everybody has to be accountable"? Seriously? The GM hasnt been held accountable for over 25 years.

Top Bottom