Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has always been Jerry's pet project. Letting go of him for Jerry would be like letting go of that project car you've had for awhile that is probably a lost cause.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling Dez is a goner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I get the feeling Dez is a goner.
I doubt it. Jerry Jones has personally invested a lot into it. He will cut him screaming bloody murder. Stephen's tough talk is just that.

He will likely modify his contract to get more money now and push the decision down the road.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im not so sure. How do you think the mental midget will act in a reduced capacity and with less money? To me, I think his ego can't handle it. He's living in the past, not the real world.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Im not so sure. How do you think the mental midget will act in a reduced capacity and with less money? To me, I think his ego can't handle it. He's living in the past, not the real world.

That's exactly my point. He is clearly not the guy who would take something like that and not be resentful.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's exactly my point. He is clearly not the guy who would take something like that and not be resentful.
Plus, we’ve all seen his bitch routine on the sidelines far too much. It usually precedes a drop on the field.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Plus, we’ve all seen his bitch routine on the sidelines far too much. It usually precedes a drop on the field.
But he is so passionate and stuff that he allowed it to get into his head.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If we add 2 guys with speed I'll be more than pleased.
If that were the case, Bryce Butler alone should have made a much bigger impact than he did.

Don't underestimate how good Bryant really is just because he's currently not racking up elite stats. He can't control most of the factors that limited his per catch average or overall number of catches. Compare his stats with AJ Green if you'd like. Dez still has better redzone numbers the last two years and his 2016 average per catch well exceeded Green's. When Romo targeted Dez, he had a 64% catch rate. It's clear Dak can't target Dez unless he's plain wide open, and that's a significant problem.

2017 was a shitshow of a performance by an offense led by a sophomore QB who lost the majority of his OL and his elite running back for major stretches. The offensive staff was left scratching their heads for most of the season trying to figure out even the most basic approach.

Blaming Dez for all of it because we don't like his sideline venting is short-sighted. We can't blame the young QB yet so we transfer the blame to the next visible target.

But whomever you replace Dez with, Dak and the coaching MUST get better.

If it's Calvin Riddley I'd be starting him by midseason. Just so polished he is NFL ready.
He's not falling out of the top ten.

His position is in high demand and polished WR's coming out of college are even more rare.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that were the case, Bryce Butler alone should have made a much bigger impact than he did.

Don't underestimate how good Bryant really is just because he's currently not racking up elite stats. He can't control most of the factors that limited his per catch average or overall number of catches. Compare his stats with AJ Green if you'd like. Dez still has better redzone numbers the last two years and his 2016 average per catch well exceeded Green's. When Romo targeted Dez, he had a 64% catch rate. It's clear Dak can't target Dez unless he's plain wide open, and that's a significant problem.
Oh he targets him plenty when he is covered. That's why his catch rate is so damn low. The problem is that Dez doesn't get open like he used to back in 2014. Which is understandable, injuries, money and age have caught up with Dez. Dez use to abuse top NFL corners. And when I say abuse, I mean actually beat them. Now the only guys he beats are average or below average NFL corners. The top ones tend to shut him down now.

But again, none of that matters. Dak has done better with Dez out and Bryce Butler in frankly. It's because Dak isn't forced to force the ball into anyone. He plays much better under those circumstances. Which is why I say, give me two speed guys to replace Dez and you'll see our offense look much better in my opinion.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Oh he targets him plenty when he is covered. That's why his catch rate is so damn low. The problem is that Dez doesn't get open like he used to back in 2014. Which is understandable, injuries, money and age have caught up with Dez. Dez use to abuse top NFL corners. And when I say abuse, I mean actually beat them. Now the only guys he beats are average or below average NFL corners. The top ones tend to shut him down now.

But again, none of that matters. Dak has done better with Dez out and Bryce Butler in frankly. It's because Dak isn't forced to force the ball into anyone. He plays much better under those circumstances. Which is why I say, give me two speed guys to replace Dez and you'll see our offense look much better in my opinion.
Dez’s catch rate was exactly the same in 2016 as 2017, and we weren’t complaining then. It’s the way Dak targets him. He has a hard time placing the ball and can’t do the back shoulder at all. The passes aimed at Dez sometimes feel like they’re for show.

Dez had 6 drops on 132 targets for 12.1 YPC and Demaryius Thomas with equally average QB play had 7 drops on 140 targets for an 11.4 YPC. I think it’s clear why both show a “decline”.

We couldn’t throw well at all last year. Terrance Williams averaged under 11 YPC, his worst ever, even counting 2015.

Throw in more aberage WRs and you’ll continue to see an average product, even if Tyron and Zeke play 16 games.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
"Amicable" is when both parties leave on good terms. Dez won't go quietly.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I have said it before, and I stand by it now... Dez is holding this offense back. He needs to go. Draft a couple guys, get a couple of FA, do both, I don't care, Just get him off my team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez’s catch rate was exactly the same in 2016 as 2017, and we weren’t complaining then. It’s the way Dak targets him. He has a hard time placing the ball and can’t do the back shoulder at all. The passes aimed at Dez sometimes feel like they’re for show.

Dez had 6 drops on 132 targets for 12.1 YPC and Demaryius Thomas with equally average QB play had 7 drops on 140 targets for an 11.4 YPC. I think it’s clear why both show a “decline”.

We couldn’t throw well at all last year. Terrance Williams averaged under 11 YPC, his worst ever, even counting 2015.

Throw in more aberage WRs and you’ll continue to see an average product, even if Tyron and Zeke play 16 games.
Dak played better without Dez in 2016 AS WELL!!!

We didn't bitch about Dez because he ended the season on a great note with a great game against the Packers. But once again, look at the corner he was facing. Booze is actually right for once, Dez can't beat a good corner to save his life anymore.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So it’s Dez holding the offense back?

Not the idiotic coaching or lack of confidence in the running game when the superstar RB is gone or the eroding talent on the OL or the frigging inexperienced QB who looked lost most of last year.

Blame Dez.

Jesus Christ, the Dak cult lives.

Top Bottom