Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"Everybody has to be accountable"? Seriously? The GM hasnt been held accountable for over 25 years.
Oh yeah? This is a new era with a tough new sherriff in town, Stephen Jones. Whaddaya think about that? Huh?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I've haven't paid much attention to the Cowboys in recent weeks....has there been anything mentioned about tension between Dak & Dez? Based on Dak throwing Dez under the bus on multiple occasions, I think it's safe to say they don't have the best QB-WR relationship.

So I'm wondering if this will end up being a case where the organization sides with the QB over Player X. Kind of like what we saw between Romo and TO, but obviously to a lesser degree.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I've haven't paid much attention to the Cowboys in recent weeks....has there been anything mentioned about tension between Dak & Dez? Based on Dak throwing Dez under the bus on multiple occasions, I think it's safe to say they don't have the best QB-WR relationship.

So I'm wondering if this will end up being a case where the organization sides with the QB over Player X. Kind of like what we saw between Romo and TO, but obviously to a lesser degree.
Not that I have seen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I guess since the player is told by management that he is the heart and soul of the team, the player decides to milk that commentary for all it is worth.

I don't give two shits how much he wants to win if his results on the field don't show it.

He dogged enough routes and flubbed enough receptions so that this kind of shit is really annoying to read.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

I guess since the player is told by management that he is the heart and soul of the team, the player decides to milk that commentary for all it is worth.

I don't give two shits how much he wants to win if his results on the field don't show it.

He dogged enough routes and flubbed enough receptions so that this kind of shit is really annoying to read.
He probably gives a damn because Dallas *might* be the only team that is stupid enough to pay him more than he's worth at this point.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Romo and TO were a deadly combination on the field. Romo and Dez were too. Dak and Dez, not so much.
But the souring of relations between Romo and TO was due to Owens acting like a bitch over Romo and Witten's bromance. There's nothing like that here; this is Dak calling Dez' play what it is, Dez flat out dropping well thrown balls. "I guess I have to him him in the face with it. " And Dak is right, of course.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He probably gives a damn because Dallas *might* be the only team that is stupid enough to pay him more than he's worth at this point.
I don't know. Despite his obvious flaws I still think if he were placed in an offensive system that has a little creativity to it, Dez would put up good numbers.

We've all complained for years how Dallas' offensive system relies way too much on the player "out-talenting" the man across from him. The Cowboys coaches don't do a particularly good job of drawing up plays that create confusions and mismatches in our favor. Every few weeks or so they'll surprise us with a creative wrinkle but it doesn't happen nearly enough.

That's why I won't put on the blame on the blame on Dez. The drops....sure. But the coaches have flat out sucked at creating mismatches for our guys.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
No mismatches and too predictable as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know. Despite his obvious flaws I still think if he were placed in an offensive system that has a little creativity to it, Dez would put up good numbers.

We've all complained for years how Dallas' offensive system relies way too much on the player "out-talenting" the man across from him. The Cowboys coaches don't do a particularly good job of drawing up plays that create confusions and mismatches in our favor. Every few weeks or so they'll surprise us with a creative wrinkle but it doesn't happen nearly enough.

That's why I won't put on the blame on the blame on Dez. The drops....sure. But the coaches have flat out sucked at creating mismatches for our guys.
No questioning that. The scheme is not great. But Bryant has not matured since he came into the league. Usually as WRs get older, they have to refine their game. Half the time, Bryant doesn't get involved. And there is no excuse for his idiocy allowing even some trash corner to chatter at him and throw him off.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No questioning that. The scheme is not great. But Bryant has not matured since he came into the league. Usually as WRs get older, they have to refine their game. Half the time, Bryant doesn't get involved. And there is no excuse for his idiocy allowing even some trash corner to chatter at him and throw him off.
Yeah, grow up already.

Unfortunately, getting rid of Bryant will make things worse before it makes them better.

Unless we actually brought in WR's who can run beyond just basic routes and had offensive coaches who could build game plans around such things. What are the odds of either, let alone both?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"At the same time, we all know this is a business where everybody has to be accountable.
LMAO. Everyone except you, your deddy, and your idiot redheaded brother from another mother (maybe literally) coach.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, grow up already.

Unfortunately, getting rid of Bryant will make things worse before it makes them better.

Unless we actually brought in WR's who can run beyond just basic routes and had offensive coaches who could build game plans around such things. What are the odds of either, let alone both?
Considering Dez is actually pulling down our QBs rating I'm not entirely sure that things would get "worse" if we let Bryant go. Although we obviously need WR's at that point. I mean we would literally have Terrance Williams and that's about it.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Considering Dez is actually pulling down our QBs rating I'm not entirely sure that things would get "worse" if we let Bryant go. Although we obviously need WR's at that point. I mean we would literally have Terrance Williams and that's about it.

I'm not convinced either. And from an economic standpoint, I'd be ok with it even if it were to happen. It's time to move on. A pay cut is just going to make him bitter. There is no scenario where he improves next year, imho.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I could give a damn about Dak’s rating. His ass has to get better too.

Is Dez worth his contract? No. Is he the best option by far at X WR for opening day, draft and FA included? Hell yes.

Given those two facts the Cowboys have to decide, but Dez has them over a barrel.

I have NO confidence that this front office and coaching staff can find and groom NFL-capable WRs.

I clearly recall Tony Romo barely recovering from broken ribs trying to get his f’ing professional WRs lined up on national TV.

What other pro team has this problem??

Cotton

Staff member

Is Dez worth his contract? No. Is he the best option by far at X WR for opening day, draft and FA included? Hell yes.

Given those two facts the Cowboys have to decide, but Dez has them over a barrel.

I have NO confidence that this front office and coaching staff can find and groom NFL-capable WRs.

I clearly recall Tony Romo barely recovering from broken ribs trying to get his f’ing professional WRs lined up on national TV.

I'm not entirely convinced of that.

Cotton

Staff member
Qualified that it’s beyond our teams ability to improve the spot over Dez by September.
Now, that's a completely different statement.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Well said.

Top Bottom