Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dalton went to TCU, wouldn't completely shock me if he has to take a backup job if he chose Dallas, although Lord knows we aren't going to pay him much. It'd be a gamble but if anything happened to Dak he'd be in a perfect position to Tannehill himself into a big contract somewhere.

As for Poe, great, now go find another edge rusher and the DL will be in solid shape.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Dalton went to TCU, wouldn't completely shock me if he has to take a backup job if he chose Dallas, although Lord knows we aren't going to pay him much. It'd be a gamble but if anything happened to Dak he'd be in a perfect position to Tannehill himself into a big contract somewhere.

As for Poe, great, now go find another edge rusher and the DL will be in solid shape.
I would be fine with signing Griffen, but if not, we're gonna be fine with Gregory.

The position I'm worried about is center with Frederick gone. Really hope McGovern can step up.

If so, that makes the La'el Collins signing real essential.

Tyron Smith - Connor Williams - Connor McGovern - Zach Martin - La'El Collins

Depth reduced.... high pick on OL incoming.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would be fine with signing Griffen, but if not, we're gonna be fine with Gregory.

The position I'm worried about is center with Frederick gone. Really hope McGovern can step up.

If so, that makes the La'el Collins signing real essential.

Tyron Smith - Connor Williams - Connor McGovern - Zach Martin - La'El Collins

Gregory is not a guy you want starting and playing 75% or whatever of the snaps. In 2018 Crawford was the starter and Gregory rotated in mostly in nickel/dime and played about 50-60% of the snaps.

Is that workable? Sure, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence and we have the ability to easily sign a guy like Griffen.

Drafting a guy like Chaisson or Baun in the first would work too.

Center I'm not especially concerned with, Looney obviously started all of 2018 and McGovern was a legitimate late 2nd/early 3rd type of prospect who started a full year in college at center. If a guy like Cushenberry is there in the 2nd and is the BPA, sure, but I don't think it's something we have to force.

I'm actually a bit more concerned about our swing tackle situation given that Smith misses 2-4 games a year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm sure it will. It's probably better at DT then we have been in awhile but I'm still not very confident in the defense.
Our defense hinges on Lawrence, LVE, and Jaylon returning to form.

There's no way we were talent-better in 2018 with Tyrone Crawford (15 games started on the DL), Antuan Woods (15 games started at NT), Maliek Collins (9 games started at DT - Taco Charlton absorbed the other 7 starts this season, probably kicking Crawford inside), Byron Jones (16 games started at CB), and Jeff Heath (15 games started at SS) starting, than we will be with Randy Gregory, Dontari Poe, Gerald McCoy, Jourdan Lewis, and Ha-ha Clinton-Dix starting.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As depth-poor as the entire roster is, they really need to get out of this habit and join the rest of the NFL in getting their OL depth from more reasonable sources. We have had a strong OL for years and it has barely moved the needle. How about pumping resources into another positional group to shore it up for a change.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think both Jaylon and LVE were feeling themselves a bit too much last year after their rise to prominence in 2018, Jaylon in particular after the extension. Nolan was the LB coach in New Orleans and Edwards' specialty as a position coach was LB's, they're no nonsense guys and I'm very confident that they will get both of them back playing at a high level, if LVE can stay on the field that is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think both Jaylon and LVE were feeling themselves a bit too much last year after their rise to prominence in 2018, Jaylon in particular after the extension. Nolan was the LB coach in New Orleans and Edwards' specialty as a position coach was LB's, they're no nonsense guys and I'm very confident that they will get both of them back playing at a high level, if LVE can stay on the field that is.
Having two legit 300 pounders who can play in front of them will help a lot.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I am happy to have Poe, I do think he'll help. Maybe a lot.

But there is still a lot of work to do. Pass rusher, CB, and 3rd WR are huge holes.

GShock

DCC 4Life
We’ve spent the least on payroll for the past four years.
As depth-poor as the entire roster is, they really need to get out of this habit and join the rest of the NFL in getting their OL depth from more reasonable sources. We have had a strong OL for years and it has barely moved the needle. How about pumping resources into another positional group to shore it up for a change.
Yeah, perhaps I am overconfident, but we handled 2018 with Looney and 2019 with Frederick not at his previous level. I would think some combination of McGovern, Looney, and Redmond can at least have us approaching 2018 levels. Pick up a swing tackle in the 3rd round and I would think we are more than set.

Top Bottom