Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He is both an exclusive rights FA and a JAG.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't really know what the deal is with Woods, Spotrac has him under contract for 750K and lists him as a restricted FA next year. I haven't heard anything going on with him so I'm just going to assume he's back.
Ok, so you're right....and @Genghis Khan is wrong.

Not sure why I've been thinking since last season that he was hitting FA this year.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I know he got in some trouble last year at the same time as Hill. May just be a bad apple.
Just this past December.

I understand enjoying the smoke, but when you're driving it should still be DUI.

This is like Rico hotboxing in the empty parking lot, WTF is you thinking?

Throwing the sweet life away being a dumbass. He needs to GTFO.

Antwaun Woods arrested on marijuana poss. charge
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Dec. 5, 2019 at 09:40 a.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 5, 2019 at 02:31 p.m.

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Antwaun Woods is dealing with more than just a knee injury.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Woods was arrested on Tuesday at a traffic stop and charged with possession of marijuana over two ounces but less than four ounces, tampering with evidence, and cited for possession of paraphernalia, according to the Frisco Police Department.

Woods could be subject to punishment under the league's personal conduct policy.

The arrest is the latest setback for Woods, who has struggled to stay healthy in 2019. The 26-year-old missed last week's game with a knee injury and was already ruled out of Thursday night's matchup with the Chicago Bears due to the injury.

NFL Network's Stacey Dales reported Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has spoken with Woods and has informed him he wouldn't make the trip to Chicago.

After going undrafted out of USC in 2016, Woods spent two seasons in Tennessee, mostly on the practice squad. The DT signed a two-year deal in Dallas last offseason, and compiled 34 tackles, 1.5 sacks and one pass defended in 15 games in 2018. This season he has played in just eight tilts while battling injury, earning 15 tackles and no sacks.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ok, so you're right....and @Genghis Khan is wrong.

Not sure why I've been thinking since last season that he was hitting FA this year.
Over the cap and two other sites list him as exclusive rights FA. Even sporttrac lists 2020 as exclusive rights FA year if you scroll down enough. He will be back if the Cowboys want him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think stop gaps are absolutely the way of smart free agency these days unless you can get a deal for whatever reason. You start using all your cap room overpaying for free agents, all of a sudden you have none for your own players. Look at the Rams. They were getting high praise not too long ago for paying for a bunch of free agents. Now look, cap hell. The Rams bet on "win now", and lost.
But they at least have a SB appearance and some playoff victories to show for it. Thats the modern NFL, get a decent roster, catch a few breaks, and just about anyone can get hot and win a SB. What do the Cowboys have despite Jerry crowing about all the talent they have? Oh, just the same ole same ole with the last SB appearance happening with a large percentage of younger Cowboys fans not even born.

This FO stuck with a shitty coach for way too long, and looks to be still sticking with FA philosophies that may have worked in the 90's but clearly don't work now-and haven't worked in a long time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
These chickenshits have been dragging their feet for 48 hours with Poe, on a deal that I'm sure ends up being some simple shit like 1 year/6 million, 2/13 million, etc.

They are literally incapable of executing deals with any expediency or urgency, they'd have no chance of actually getting in the fray over the first day or two to sign a marquee free agent because they spend so much time time haggling over what I'm sure is extraneous bullshit like $500K roster bonuses. They can't even get their in-house deals done in time, dragging their ass on the Dak/Cooper deals and ultimately being forced into paying over market value.

At this point I hope Dak takes them for all they're worth and they end up paying him 38/year. What else are they going to do with the money anyway? Re-sign Gallup in 2 years for 17/year or some shit?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Umm. Okay.
I think this might actually be one of the better signings they've made, he was used very heavily as a blocker in KC, which allowed Kelce to basically just function as a jumbo WR. His usage depended on game flow seemingly but he usually played right around 40% of the snaps, so long story short he was the primary blocking TE for one of the best offenses in the league.

Given how Jarwin struggles as a blocker but looks like he has untapped potential as a receiver you can easily envision Bell being used in the same fashion while Jarwin will pretty much act as a jumbo WR like Kelce.

p1_

DCC 4Life
B
I think this might actually be one of the better signings they've made, he was used very heavily as a blocker in KC, which allowed Kelce to basically just function as a jumbo WR. His usage depended on game flow seemingly but he usually played right around 40% of the snaps, so long story short he was the primary blocking TE for one of the best offenses in the league.

Given how Jarwin struggles as a blocker but looks like he has untapped potential as a receiver you can easily envision Bell being used in the same fashion while Jarwin will pretty much act as a jumbo WR like Kelce.
But you were saying....

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
B

But you were saying....
Let's not confuse a solid depth signing with being able to execute impact signings that really move the needle.

We signed a nice blocking TE, cool, but they've also spent the vast majority of FA sleepwalking while guys who would be upgrades are signing all over on reasonable, short term deals that we could easily afford and wouldn't impact our long term cap strategy.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's not confuse a solid depth signing with being able to execute impact signings that really move the needle.

We signed a nice blocking TE, cool, but they've also spent the vast majority of FA sleepwalking while guys who would be upgrades are signing all over on reasonable, short term deals that we could easily afford and wouldn't impact our long term cap strategy.
I agree, it's like saying we got the best UDFA after an awful draft. It's nice but you blew the other part.

Top Bottom