Cowboys Free Agency Thread

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Overall, Poe has been quite healthy and reliable before this 2019 injury.
It always worries me when guys are coming off injuries and looking for a last stop. The Cowboys seem to relish in talking to guys like that. They have tons of money under the cap, and yet every season they mainly look at retreads, guys coming off injuries or guys pushing 30+ in age. Just doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe Poe isn’t a worry here, but it’s a theme in general with the FO.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It always worries me when guys are coming off injuries and looking for a last stop. The Cowboys seem to relish in talking to guys like that. They have tons of money under the cap, and yet every season they mainly look at retreads, guys coming off injuries or guys pushing 30+ in age. Just doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe Poe isn’t a worry here, but it’s a theme in general with the FO.
that's what happens when you build your roster from the draft and plug gaping holes with free agency. you notice how these signings also address areas weve drafted horribly or not at all.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yeah, it seems to me that they go from one extreme to another. Either they're paying their home-grown players at the very top of the market (Martin, the now-retired Frederick, Elliott, Cooper, and soon-to-be Prescott, along with Lawrence) or they're fishing around the bargain bin in free agency, and often passing on players I feel are great fits. Nothing in between. Gerald McCoy looks to be the one exception to that this year.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I really hope we don't pass on Kinlaw if he's BPA because we signed these guys
Same here, but I don't think we would. Given the ages of McCoy and Poe, the bottom could fall out at any time. Now would not be the time to pass on young talent for the present and future.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here, but I don't think we would. Given the ages of McCoy and Poe, the bottom could fall out at any time. Now would not be the time to pass on young talent for the present and future.
Oh you still need one. Those guys are older so they won't be able to play 100% of the snaps. Plus you're looking at them short term. You don't want to be in the same position a year from now. I'd still view DT as a high priority.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Oh you still need one. Those guys are older so they won't be able to play 100% of the snaps. Plus you're looking at them short term. You don't want to be in the same position a year from now. I'd still view DT as a high priority.
To say nothing of the fact that Trysten Hill is a bust until Trysten Hill proves otherwise. Obviously for different reasons, but I would put both Gregory and Hill in the 'Unreliable' category and not count on either in 2020. If we get something from either or both? Great, it's a bonus. But of things don't work out, we're not stuck either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we add a premium edge rusher in the draft (Chaisson or Baun) or in FA (Griffen) I'd feel pretty comfortable with our DL, even if we didn't draft a DT.

Lawrence/Gregory/Crawford/Armstrong/new addition is fine at DE and McCoy/Poe/Woods/Crawford/Hill is fine at DT.

I'd still draft Kinlaw without a second thought or a guy like Gallimore in the 2nd, but I wouldn't feel like we'd be completely fucked if the board didn't fall that way.

I wouldn't put Gregory and Hill in the same category either. Gregory is a proven commodity if he can stay on the field, which seemingly isn't an issue with the change in weed policy, while Hill is a complete unknown who may very well be an unmitigated bust.

p1_

DCC 4Life
To say nothing of the fact that Trysten Hill is a bust until Trysten Hill proves otherwise. Obviously for different reasons, but I would put both Gregory and Hill in the 'Unreliable' category and not count on either in 2020. If we get something from either or both? Great, it's a bonus. But of things don't work out, we're not stuck either.
Im sure theyre counting on Hill to produce. I think they view Gregory as a question mark, with any decent production being a bonus.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Maybe we should sign both Poe and Harrison? Even if we sign one, we have zero DT depth.
Woods has started like every game the last two years and Crawford is going to rush on the interior in nickel/dime, I think that's decent enough depth especially if Hill can give us anything.

As I've said, I'd still take Kinlaw at 17 no matter who else is available, but I think we could get by with McCoy/Poe/Woods/Crawford/Hill, presuming Crawford is actually healthy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Forbath the lone ST standout from last season

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Forbath the lone ST standout from last season
As well it should be. I would still bring in kickers and let them compete.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Woods has started like every game the last two years and Crawford is going to rush on the interior in nickel/dime, I think that's decent enough depth especially if Hill can give us anything.

As I've said, I'd still take Kinlaw at 17 no matter who else is available, but I think we could get by with McCoy/Poe/Woods/Crawford/Hill, presuming Crawford is actually healthy.
I was under the impression that Woods is not under contract. Who knows if Crawford plays DT or DE or both under Nolan. Hill giving us anything is wishing upon a star.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I was under the impression that Woods is not under contract. Who knows if Crawford plays DT or DE or both under Nolan. Hill giving us anything is wishing upon a star.
You're right, Antwaun Woods is a FA.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't really know what the deal is with Woods, Spotrac has him under contract for 750K and lists him as a restricted FA next year. I haven't heard anything going on with him so I'm just going to assume he's back.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
I think stop gaps are absolutely the way of smart free agency these days unless you can get a deal for whatever reason. You start using all your cap room overpaying for free agents, all of a sudden you have none for your own players. Look at the Rams. They were getting high praise not too long ago for paying for a bunch of free agents. Now look, cap hell. The Rams bet on "win now", and lost.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They were just saying on talking cowboys that woods is an exclusive rights free agent or restricted free agent, I forget which, but they haven't tendered him. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Top Bottom