Cowboys cut Ratliff

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Six teams have contacted Jay Ratliff
Updated: October 23, 2013, 1:53 PM ET
By Ed Werder | ESPN

Defensive tackle Jay Ratliff flew to Philadelphia to be evaluated Wednesday by Dr. William Myers to determine whether he can begin preparing for on-field tryouts with some of the six teams that have contacted him since the Dallas Cowboys released him last week, according to sources.

Ratliff believes that more teams will be interested if Myers indicates that he is healthy enough to contribute in the near future.

The Cowboys projected Ratliff to be a Warren Sapp-type presence who could provide an inside rush as they converted from a 3-4 defense to Monte Kiffin's 4-3. Instead, his Cowboys career ended with each side blaming the other.

Myers performed surgery on Ratliff to repair a sports hernia injury last December, with the Cowboys expecting a three- to six-week recovery process.

Despite a defensive line decimated by injuries, the Cowboys released the four-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle because, sources said, the team was told by the independent physician who was treating Ratliff and providing injections that he would require at least three more months before being medically cleared to play.

Some in the Cowboys' organization did not trust Ratliff, with one person telling ESPN, "I think he just decided he didn't want to play for Jerry Jones anymore.''

Ratliff and Jones had to be separated while arguing in the locker room following a game at Cowboys Stadium last season after the owner began a conversation by telling the player how much the team needed him.

The relationship has been strained since then and divergent views about the seriousness of Ratliff's injury emerged. The Cowboys believe he underwent a routine operation that should have required no more than six weeks from which to recover.

After being waived last week, Ratliff's agent, Mark Slough, said that the injury involved muscle being torn from the bone and contended the Cowboys knew all along that he would need close to a year before being healthy enough to return.

The situation became contentious when Ratliff decided to hire his own doctor and to rehab apart from the Cowboys. He strained a hamstring when performing the team's conditioning test at the beginning of training camp.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Scumbag.

Jerry's a fool for signing him but Ratliff played big time dirty pool on this one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe Jerry was alluding to Dallas suing this scum bag for some of the money on his contract back. We all knew some bullshit was going on. Basically Ratliff was just sandbagging it so he would get cut and get to play on a new team. Kind of sad because Dallas invested heavily in him and built this defense with him specifically in mind.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jay Ratliff’s agent informs NFL execs former Dallas Cowboys DT Jay Ratliff is cleared for football activities

By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com
7:20 pm on October 23, 2013 |

IRVING – A week after Jay Ratliff was cut from the Cowboys because of health reasons and a failed physical, his agent, Mark Slough, sent an email Wednesday to personnel directors around the league saying the defensive tackle has been medically cleared to return to all football activities.

Dr. William Meyers, a Philadelphia-based physician who performed season-ending surgery on Ratliff last December, met with the ninth-year veteran Wednesday. According to the email, Ratliff will continue to train in Dallas with the goal of working out for clubs in a couple of weeks.

It was reported that Ratliff, who hurt himself last November and hasn’t played since, was recovering from a sports hernia. But Slough said the injury was much worse, that tendons attached to Ratliff’s pelvis were ripped apart and that it would probably take a year to heal.

“He absolutely, 100 percent wants to play football again,” Slough said Oct. 16. “He has a passion for the game. He has a love for the game. He has absolutely no intention of not playing again in 2014. If he could’ve played this year, he would’ve been on the field.”

Asked if the information included in the email Wednesday was different than what the Cowboys had the day they released Ratliff, Slough said, “I don’t know. I don’t really want to go down any of the past. I am ready to just go forward.”

Cowboys officials were also vague when answering questions about Ratliff’s condition and what they knew about it a day after Ratliff was cut.

“We don’t get into, especially under these circumstances, the details of opinions of injury and this has also become a legal matter,” Jones said, “and so you can understand the need to not comment on specifics at this time.”

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I would be willing to bet the farm Jerruh sues him for the 18 million bucks.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Not going to lie, I'm going to have a mile-wide smile if he suffers a horrific Theisman like injury this year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would be willing to bet the farm Jerruh sues him for the 18 million bucks.
I would incorporate in a lawsuit a prohibition of him joining another club until the litigation was complete. i don't know whether it would be allowed but I would try.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Something needs to be done before this sets a precedent. Playing possum to get cut from a team you no longer want to play for even though you were taking paying checks? That might be the height of douche-baggery...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Something needs to be done before this sets a precedent. Playing possum to get cut from a team you no longer want to play for even though you were taking paying checks? That might be the height of douche-baggery...
As far as I am concerned it borders on fraud.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think about it, you could sign somewhere with a big signing bonus. Pull this shit to get cut and then collect a new signing bonus from another team.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What a true piece of shit.

This nonsense completely wipes out every good thing he ever did in a Cowboy uniform, he literally quit on teammates he's played with for years and the organization that brought him in to the league and made him rich, quite unnecessarily in the case of his third contract. It's not just a case of half-assing a season because you're old or paid or whatever it might be, this guy fakes an injury, acts like he can't physically perform and then is physically cleared a week later?

I couldn't care less about guys that we cut who played poor their last year or two here, guys like Terence Newman, I actually laugh to myself when I see them playing well on new teams, but I wish nothing but the worst from a football standpoint for this guy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What a major asshole. Fuck Ratliff and his goddamn slimeball agent.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I doubt if Jerry can recover anything from this prick. How do you prove he was lying on these nebulous groin pulls and hamstring injuries? More than likely he'll get away with it and get another job. I'm just glad he's gone. Let some other team deal with his bullshit. The dead money is going to suck but keeping him around wasn't worth his cancerous influence.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As funky as this is....we are the ones who failed him on his physical.

Top Bottom