Cowboys cut Ratliff

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:yawnee for this year.

Nice dead money for next. Asinine extension.
It's offset a little by saving $5 million in salary. It nets out to an extra $5 million used up.

Which is bad for next year because of how far over we already were.

But much better for us long term.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is amazing how we have botched the DT position.

First it was turd Ratliff was going to be Sapp, "no room" for a guy in the draft, schlub Brian Price was going to be a find...just embarrassing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It is amazing how we have botched the DT position.

First it was turd Ratliff was going to be Sapp, "no room" for a guy in the draft, schlub Brian Price was going to be a find...just embarrassing.
They were probably counting on Brent playing while he was on trial. That's the kind of planning that went in to it.

On a side note, we have been pretty bitten planned or not. Coming from a 3-4 to a 4-3 you need to add bodies, and we've done nothing but loose them:
- Brent to the pokey
- Ratliff to the street after ?injury vs malingering
- Spencer to IR season ending surgery (?how was this not known)
- Crawford to IR with Achilles
- Ben Bass to IR
- Ware injured

I don't know any team that can loose 3 of 4 projected starters and be effective. Thank god we have Marinelli but we are going to get exposed more times than not. I agree with booze, the season is shot. Oh well, at least there will be a lot of shootouts which should prove entertaining...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They were probably counting on Brent playing while he was on trial. That's the kind of planning that went in to it.
That's even more demented and delusional.

On a side note, we have been pretty bitten planned or not.
A good plan always means you prepare for stuff like this. Any moron could see Ratliff was a shell of his former self. But like a lot of things, they looked on the bright side and as usual it blew up.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
A good plan always means you prepare for stuff like this. Any moron could see Ratliff was a shell of his former self. But like a lot of things, they looked on the bright side and as usual it blew up.
Any team would be in trouble with this many injuries. Again, counting on Ratliff was a huge fail and I suspect they should have known about Spencer but who knows...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Uhhh...we better change the banner. :unsure

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We extended him because we felt guilty that we had him on a cheap contract when he was really productive. We forget this is a business way too often.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys End Tumult, Cut Former Pro Bowler Ratliff

Mike Fisher for 105.3 The Fan | CBSDFW.com

October 16, 2013 4:56 PM

IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) – Jay Ratliff’s career with the Dallas Cowboys – a major success story for most of it before the last 11 months of tumult – has come to an end.

Dallas, which has been waiting for the defensive tackle to overcome physical problems since last December, on Wednesday gave up waiting and officially terminated his contract by moving him from the Reserve/PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) list to the failed-physical list.

A Valley Ranch source downplayed “behavior and attitude’’ as factors in the move. And Ratliff’s agent Mark Slough insisted for the player’s part, “”There’s no ill-will. Jay is not upset. He’s not mad. He’s not angry.’’

But Ratliff’s recent conflicts with the organization are well-documented. And because of the financial ramifications – the Cowboys receive no real financial relief by making the move — Ratliff’s head-butting with the organization seem in play.

Nevertheless, Ratliff released a statement in which he praised Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Cowboys fans and his teammates, saying, “’Stay strong, keep fighting and believe. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for you but I will always support you and value our time together.’’

Ratliff became an accomplished player after having been drafted in the seventh round in 2005. He was selected for four straight Pro Bowls from 2008-11 and in 2011 was rewarded with a five-year extension totaling $40 million – a dubious move, certainly in retrospect, as Ratliff was 30 at the time of the deal.

Dallas has suffered in the defensive line without him for the better part of the last two seasons, during which time he’s pocketed $18 million in guaranteed money. Late last year he underwent hernia surgery, a procedure that took place after the player and owner Jerry Jones conflicted in the Cowboys Stadium locker room regarding Ratliff’s unavailability. Ratliff was charged with a DWI last February as well, yet the Cowboys – desperate for help at his position and deeply invested in him financially – stuck with him.

Since then, however, he’s dealt a hamstring injury sustained on the first day of training camp and a groin injury. One medical source has been suggesting to 105.3 The Fan in recent weeks that Ratliff may also have a torn muscle in his hip. And indeed, Slough said the severity of this injury requires a year’s recovery and goes way beyond a sports hernia and that “tendons and muscles from the inside of his leg at the base of his pelvis had ripped off the bone.’’

Ratliff went on-record in September about being unhappy with the club’s medical-related handling of his situation. The Cowboys are privately rankled about the fact Ratliff had done much of his rehab outside of Valley Ranch.

And now, despite the fact the Cowboys save only a prorated portion of his $1.34 million base salary and will have to absorb a 2014 $6.92 million hit in the form of guaranteed bonus money, everything Jay Ratliff does in football will be outside of Valley Ranch.

Slough said teams are already calling him inquiring about Ratliff’s availability to play next season. “I can tell you that he wants to play,’’ Slough said, “and he will play. And I think he will play well.’’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cap ramifications of Jay Ratliff move

October, 16, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys waited too long to cut Jay Ratliff, but by clearing him off the salary-cap books as soon as possible by cutting him today they made the best decision for the future.

Looking back, the decision to extend Ratliff’s deal another five years in 2011 for $40 million (with $18 million guaranteed), was a poor one. Never pay age and Ratliff had just turned 30, but the Cowboys got the better end of their first extension with him: five years, $20.9 million in which he out-performed the contract.

Last March the Cowboys guaranteed $3.66 million of Ratliff’s $5 million base salary to provide salary-cap relief in 2013. The team hoped Ratliff would rebound in Monte Kiffin’s 4-3 scheme and produce at a high level even if his sack total had decreased in each of the last five seasons. He never rebounded from the injury.

Had the Cowboys cut Ratliff in the spring, they would have saved $1 million against the cap this season and been free from dead money. By cutting him now the Cowboys save $625,000 against the cap immediately but he will count $6.9 million in dead million in 2014.

Already scheduled to count $8.232 million in 2014, the Cowboys net an overall savings of $1.304 million next year.

Had the Cowboys waited to cut Ratliff after this season and designated him a post-June 1 cut to create more 2014 savings, then he would have hampered their cap in 2015.

The 2015 season means a lot to the Cowboys in terms of their cap.

Dez Bryant is set to be an unrestricted free agent after the 2014 season. If the Cowboys want, they could use the franchise tag on Bryant. The Cowboys could pick up the fifth-year option on Tyron Smith's contract, which would see his cap figure jump up close to whatever the transition tag would be for the offensive tackles, for 2015 but would like to extend him before that if possible.

Ratliff was due to count $11.02 million against the cap in 2015, so that money, in effect, can be designated for Bryant, Smith or even Bruce Carter.

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Any team would be in trouble with this many injuries. Again, counting on Ratliff was a huge fail and I suspect they should have known about Spencer but who knows...
You're right we have been hit pretty hard by the injury bug but I still maintain that a smart front office would have made roster moves looking at not just this year but next year as well. Which is why the Cowboys should have added a couple of extra DL via the draft/UDFA.

GMs should always have one eye on the future.

That's one of Jerry's many shortcomings. He's very short-sighted when it comes to personnel moves.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He was gone after the season anyway so the decision was what is worth more, saving the future cap room or getting 8 or so games of probable half-assed play out of him?

Cutting Austin will free up even more room and of course Spencer will be hitting the road. We will still be cap-strapped but when you consider all of these cost-cutting moves and the fact that we won't have to deal with the penalty next year, we should have a little more flexibility.

Henry Melton on the cheap would be real nice.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
IMO, all sounds get blame for this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just glad it is finally over. Next up is hopefully Austin after this season.

1bigfan13

Staff member
My question is this, why didn't Ratliff or his agent come forward and clarify the type of injury he had before now?

Ratliff's name and reputation were being dragged through the mud. He's been labeled everything from a malingerer to locker room cancer. Part of an agent's responsibilities is to protect his client and do a little damage control. So I find it very hard to believe that if the injury is legitimately this severe that they wouldn't have said anything prior to now.

The Cowboys are not the Patriots. As far as I know, they don't have strict policies in place preventing players from discussing their injuries.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
My question is this, why didn't Ratliff or his agent come forward and clarify the type of injury he had before now?

Ratliff's name and reputation were being dragged the mud. He's been labeled everything from a malingerer to locker room cancer. Part of an agent's responsibilities is to protect his client and do a little damage control. So I find it very hard to believe that if the injury is legitimately this severe that they wouldn't have said anything prior to now.

The Cowboys are not the Patriots. As far as I know, they don't have strict policies in place preventing players from discussing their injuries.
That's a good point, but wouldn't the Cowboys come out and debunk this claim that the injury was so bad?

Unless, of course, he and his agent claim that it was a misdiagnosis and was diagnosed correctly once he went offsite to rehab.

Then, I will be with you. At that point I would think they are making this up to save face.

Top Bottom