Cowboys cut Ratliff

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Basically they lease/buy the mineral rights of said land. That is my understanding.
Yeah, but sometimes the land owner doesn't hold the mineral rights. Even if they don't, they get some kind of lease money for letting the oil companies come in. Obviously, if they do hold the mineral rights, they get a lot more money.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah, but sometimes the land owner doesn't hold the mineral rights. Even if they don't, they get some kind of lease money for letting the oil companies come in. Obviously, if they do hold the mineral rights, they get a lot more money.
Yeah, I get some money this way. My family owns some of this stuff.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's true. A prospector should buy land at the same price as what the oil is worth. That way its fair for everyone involved.
:lol

No kidding. Gotta be fair!

Cotton

Staff member
Jerry Jones expresses disappointment over Jay Ratliff drama, alludes to pending legal issues

There is obvious lingering disappointment among the Cowboys brass regarding former defensive tackle Jay Ratliff and drama surrounded his release week for health reasons and yesterday's announcement that he had been cleared to play immediately and was soliciting offers from other teams.

Owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett declined to go into detail regarding the disconnect between Ratliff too injured to play for the Cowboys and being free resume football activities with other teams a week later.

Jones alluded to pending legal issues for his silence stemming from the five-year, $40 contract extension Ratliff signed in 2011.

“I won’t be commenting about this because of the fact there are legal issues involved here relative to the league and otherwise,” Jones said. “But all agreements require people to abide by the agreements. That’s why you have legal issues. We obviously have an agreement with him, had an agreement with him, and to the extent that you have some concern within that, that’s why you have legal.

But Jones however couldn’t help but acknowledged there was certain disappointment with the Ratliff drama.

“I don’t want to comment because of the legal aspect of it,” Jones said. “I had said earlier that I thought I was going to focus on good things, the contribution that he made here, we all need him real bad, this team needs him read bad, needed him real bad, was disappointed that he wasn’t playing, disappointing that the resources that are involved here aren’t going to guy out here making plays.”

Garrett only focused on going forward.

"We made a decision like we talked about last week that we felt was in the best interest of our football team," Garrett said. "And we wish Jay nothing but the best going forward."

Ratliff has not to played football since undergoing surgery to repair a sports hernia last December. He missed all of training camp and the preseason because of complications with his rehab. The Cowboys placed him the physically unable to perform list to start the season with hope of him returning after six weeks.

The Cowboys released him last week because it was believed that Ratliff was no where near close to being ready to return to the field and would not likely be healthy again until 2014.

That was then _ before Ratliff met with the doctor who performed his surgery and was cleared to play on Wednesday, roughly one week later.

"Certainly health was a huge factor in that decision," Garrett said. He hasn’t been able to play for us for the last year and a half. That was the primary reason we made that decision and again, we wish him nothing but the best going forward."

What's also played a factor in the decision is the friction between Ratliff and the team for much of the last year. He did his surgery and rehab with private doctors because of disagreements with the team's medical and training staff.

He also had physical altercation in the locker room with owner Jerry Jones last season because he erroneously felt his commitment was being questioned.

This was one year after Jones signed him to the big-money contract extension despite his advising age and declining production.

The Cowboys showed patience with Ratliff because his great play and passion in practice and games over the years.

With him now cleared to return to the field _ in what has proven to be a clear disconnect in communication between the Cowboys and Ratliff's camp _ last week's decision was certain evidence that the patience has run out.

"Again, from a health standpoint, we didn’t feel like he was ready to go. We just felt like that was the best decision for our club," Garrett said simply.

Clarence Hill

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys’ Sean Lee Says Good Riddance To Jay Ratliff

Mike Fisher for 105.3 The Fan | CBSDFW.com

October 24, 2013 5:50 PM

IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) – There are things about the departed Jay Ratliff that members of the Dallas Cowboys executive wing, coaching staff and personnel department cannot or will not.

But there are no such restrictions – restrictions of law or manners – on defensive leader Sean Lee.

“If you don’t want to be here and play for this team,’’ a fired-up Lee tells “Ben & Skin’’ on 105.3 The Fan, “then move on. I’d rather go down with guys who want to be here and want to win than win with guys who don’t want to be here.”

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has tiptoed around the odd breakup with the former four-time Pro Bowler, stating that “this has become a legal matter.” Coach Jason Garrett sidesteps the controversy by rote, repeatedly noting, “Jay was a heck of a football player for us and we wish him well.’’

But Lee isn’t into politics and when it comes to Ratliff — released last week by the after 11 months of tiresome inactivity only to claim good health now that he’s escaped from Valley Ranch — he does not sound like he’s into well-wishing, either.

“When it comes to that situation,’’ Lee says, “we’ve moved on.’’

There are financial reasons for Cowboys folks to be upset with Ratliff; the way he allegedly arranged his departure ends up causing Dallas to take a a $6.928 million cap hit next season while the player walks away with $10 million in bonus money. But Lee seems to be speaking to the football side of the matter … for the need for 53 men to bond together, to make sacrifices together … and for how the chain can be broken by a weak link.

“We have guys who are ready to play, who work extremely hard, and who care about each other as teammates,’’ Lee says. “As teammates, all we care about is each other.’’
-------------

:towel

D

Deuce

Sean Lee showing true leadership. Been a while since I've seen it on this squad.

Cotton

Staff member
:towel

Cotton

Staff member
Sean Lee on Jay Ratliff: 'Move on'
Updated: October 24, 2013, 9:09 PM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee is not concerned about Jay Ratliff's future if he is not involved with the team's present.

"If you don't want to be here and you don't want to play with this team, then move on because we have guys who are ready to play, who work extremely hard, who care about this franchise, who care about each other as teammates," Lee told KRLD-FM on Thursday, "and I'd rather go down with guys who want to be here and want to win than win with guys who don't want to be here.

"I don't know the whole situation or the details, but I think as teammates, all we care about are each other and about guys who care about winning here, so that's all we focus on and I think that's the only thing we need to focus on to help us win."

Last week, the Cowboys cut Ratliff, who played in four Pro Bowls for the team, off the physically unable to perform list because they did not feel he was close to playing. At the time, Ratliff's agent, Mark Slough, said his client would play again in 2014, but on Wednesday, Ratliff was cleared to return by his doctor.

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, six teams have contacted Slough and Ratliff could make visits next week.

Lee's comments were the most candid among Ratlff's ex-teammates. One veteran found the news confusing but most did not want to talk about the issue.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones referred to the Ratliff issue as a legal matter earlier Thursday. However, the team does not appear to have any way to recoup money it paid to Ratliff since it gave him a five-year, $40 million extension two years ago.

Coach Jason Garrett said health was among the reasons why Ratliff was released and wished the former Pro Bowler well in the future.

Cotton

Staff member
STAR: Ratliff Simply Decided He Wasn’t Playing For The Cowboys
Posted Oct 23, 2013
By Jeff Sullivan

This much now appears obvious: Jay Ratliff, at some point and time, decided he was no longer playing for the Dallas Cowboys. This could’ve been last December, following a heated exchange with owner/GM Jerry Jones in the locker room after a game, although there have been rumors that wasn’t the last verbal sparring session the two had, with the most recent coming just weeks before the Cowboys released Ratliff on Oct. 16.

Either way, or whether Ratliff decided last December or since, this story isn’t about injuries. Well, maybe it’s a little about injuries, but that’s not the crux of what has become a soap opera and is likely far from concluded, with Jones saying the day following Ratliff’s release that he couldn’t comment further because “this has now become a legal matter.”

And you know what, it should. This absolutely should be a legal matter. There is no way Ratliff should be paid for what has taken place in 2013, which was slated to be the first season under his five-year, $40 million extension signed back in 2011. Of course, Ratliff was given the signing bonus two years ago, so he was paid approximately $18 million without having played a single snap under the new deal.

We can debate the rush to extend a 30-year-old interior lineman with a lot of wear and tear on two seasons before his current deal was up another time and place. Not really part of this story. Would like to review what we at least think we know:

1) The team steps up and gives Ratliff a more than generous extension with two years remaining on his deal. Compare this to Jason Hatcher, who is playing at an All-Pro level and is barely making the league average this season. His contract expires at season’s end. The team and Jones could not have treated Ratliff any better. Most assumed the extension was also done in the hopes of keeping Ratliff satisfied on and off the field. He wasn’t exactly the easiest personality at Valley Ranch over his career.

2) Do want to point this out before progressing. From the first day of training camp through the season, Ratliff was oftentimes the last player on the practice field, having his position coaches push him through extra reps. No one has ever questioned his work ethic for a nanosecond.

3) OK, so he’s limited to just six games in 2012 and has surgery in December. The team believed it was for a sports hernia, which should have entailed a three-to-six week recovery, meaning Ratliff should have been 100 percent for OTAs. Ratliff’s agent, Mark Slough, says the injury was much more severe, with muscle being torn from the bone, and that Ratliff’s recovery would take about a year. He also stated that the Cowboys knew the situation all along. This is where the story becomes really bizarre, Twilight Zone stuff really. Take a deep breath, here we go.

4) Ratliff is arrested in January for driving while intoxicated after crashing his pickup truck into an 18-wheeler. According to police, no one was injured.

5) The Cowboys, who according to Slough, knew Ratliff would be out the entire season, plan their new Tampa 2 scheme for the 2013 campaign with Ratliff as one of the two starting tackles. He was seen sporadically working out at Valley Ranch during the offseason. He then took part in the conditioning test the first day of camp, during which he pulled a hamstring. The injury was cited as day-to-day by the team and Ratliff was seen running on the field the following day in Oxnard. That would be 11 weeks before the team released him because Ratliff still wasn’t healthy. At least that’s what Ratliff and his agent were saying.

6) Then, in a move which hardly surprised anyone, Ratliff was medically cleared to work out for NFL teams on Oct. 23. As in a week after being released because he physically couldn’t play for the Cowboys and, oh yeah, two months before his agent claimed he would be recovered from surgery. Ratliff also wants and believes he can play for an NFL team this season, as early as November.

So what are we to conclude from this mess? Well, first off, Ratliff didn’t want to be here any longer, that appears clear and you know what, let him go. I’m glad the Cowboys released him. This team has legitimate chemistry right now and he would have been a cancer in the locker room if he chose to stick around. Also, if a player doesn’t want to be here, I for one don’t want him here.

However, he shouldn’t be paid a nickel, never mind millions of dollars for not wanting to play for the team with which he was under contract and then constructing a path out of town amidst a bunch of lies. That is unacceptable. Ratliff is gone and the Cowboys are better off. As for the money and the cap space in 2014, we just have to allow the legal process to play out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: Dolphins interested in Jay Ratliff

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on October 24, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT

Former Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Jay Ratliff has been cleared to resume football activities and plans to begin working out for teams in a few weeks in hopes of finding a job this season.

According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Miami Dolphins are expected to be one of the teams in pursuit of his services.

Ratliff had been dealing with the lingering effects of a sports hernia surgery last December and the Cowboys released him last week as it appeared he may not be able to play this season. Since then, Ratliff has been cleared to resume football activities and several teams appear interested in adding the four-time Pro Bowl selection.

Paul Soliai and Randy Starks are both scheduled to be free agents at the end of the season and Ratliff could give the Dolphins an additional option if he’s able to prove he can still play at a high level the remainder of the season.

Ratliff has compiled 228 tackles and 27 sacks in eight seasons with the Cowboys.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Report: Dolphins interested in Jay Ratliff

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on October 24, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT

Former Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Jay Ratliff has been cleared to resume football activities and plans to begin working out for teams in a few weeks in hopes of finding a job this season.

According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Miami Dolphins are expected to be one of the teams in pursuit of his services.

Ratliff had been dealing with the lingering effects of a sports hernia surgery last December and the Cowboys released him last week as it appeared he may not be able to play this season. Since then, Ratliff has been cleared to resume football activities and several teams appear interested in adding the four-time Pro Bowl selection.

Paul Soliai and Randy Starks are both scheduled to be free agents at the end of the season and Ratliff could give the Dolphins an additional option if he’s able to prove he can still play at a high level the remainder of the season.

Ratliff has compiled 228 tackles and 27 sacks in eight seasons with the Cowboys.
Ironic, a couple of years ago I'd have been eager to cut ties with the Rat and sign Paul Soliai.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It wouldn't surprise me if Ratliff landed somewhere and pulled the same carp. Buyer Beware.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I thought I couldn't admire Lee more.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Addition by subtraction.

During the offseason I said the Cowboys would be better off if they got rid of Ratliff and his toxic attitude.

We need every one rowing in the same direction we don't need a guy off to the side doing his own thing and infecting young players with his poor attitude.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I thought I couldn't admire Lee more.
What is so cool is he wouldn't have said it if he wasn't pissed. He could have easily taken the high road.
I wish Lee would have also dropped a GTFO, but it was great.
Agreed.

First he talks about how shitty they were against San Diego, and now he calls out that piece of shit for quitting on the team.

Finally, we're getting some guys with real leadership abilities.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would love for him to sign with a future opponent.

Then we could give him the Emmitt treatment.

Top Bottom