Cowboys at Chargers | Week 4 Game Day Chatter Thread | 09/29/2013

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Who gives a flying fuck what Garrett is in relation to Phillips?

Garrett is the definition of average, we are literally 18-18 in his 3 years as the HC, not counting 2010, and we can't string together a simple 3-4 wins to save our lives. Every year it's the same up and down roller coaster bullshit. And there are no "being a young HC" excuses anymore, three years is an eternity in the league and he has turned over basically the entire roster since he has been here.

And what the team did in 2009 is obviously far more impressive than anything Garrett has, or probably will do here, and it's not like that was some loaded team that dominates this roster talent-wise.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There's no point arguing with Smitty. He wants to go 8-8 forever and we don't. There's no such thing as a coach he'll accept over the red haired idol he worships. They'll all be too old or too young or too black.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Comparing Garrett to Wade Phillips and claiming he's good because of that comparison?

Embarrassing.

Hey guys. Charles Manson wasn't as bad as Adolph Hitler. He's a swell guy. Just misunderstood.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Still with Wade Phillips.

And I find it completely astounding that while you admit to Garrett being average, as you just did here, you still spin him up like he's some kind of competent HC. He has done NOTHING to warrant anybody to defend him like this.

The only person to do it as feverishly as you do is....Who? That should tell you something.
He's as competent as a lot of the coaches on the league. Carl also thinks like me by the way.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Comparing Garrett to Wade Phillips and claiming he's good because of that comparison?

Embarrassing.

Hey guys. Charles Manson wasn't as bad as Adolph Hitler. He's a swell guy. Just misunderstood.
I didn't say he was good, I said he was average. And you can't replace an average coach with another average coach and expect to be better. You need an above average or elite coach.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There's no point arguing with Smitty. He wants to go 8-8 forever and we don't. There's no such thing as a coach he'll accept over the red haired idol he worships. They'll all be too old or too young or too black.
That's not true, I said I wanted Reid in the offseason in fact.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He's as competent as a lot of the coaches on the league. Carl also thinks like me by the way.
:lol

Carl? Carl?!

Was that supposed to be your claim of legitimacy? That ol' Chuck shares your opinion?

You might as well have said Lotus had your back.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I didn't say he was good, I said he was average. And you can't replace an average coach with another average coach and expect to be better. You need an above average or elite coach.
But you won't admit that the next elite coach exists, conveniently so you can say you want to keep your fantasy boyfriend as coach.

You don't know who the next McCarthy is, but you'll sure as hell act like he doesn't exist in order to push your agenda.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Who gives a flying fuck what Garrett is in relation to Phillips?

Garrett is the definition of average, we are literally 18-18 in his 3 years as the HC, not counting 2010, and we can't string together a simple 3-4 wins to save our lives. Every year it's the same up and down roller coaster bullshit. And there are no "being a young HC" excuses anymore, three years is an eternity in the league and he has turned over basically the entire roster since he has been here.

And what the team did in 2009 is obviously far more impressive than anything Garrett has, or probably will do here, and it's not like that was some loaded team that dominates this roster talent-wise.
Well someone asked how Garrett was better than Phillips so I answered that. Wasn't saying that was proof that Garrett was good, just better than Wade.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well someone asked how Garrett was better than Phillips so I answered that. Wasn't saying that was proof that Garrett was good, just better than Wade.
Even though the statistics and facts completely state otherwise.

This is the very definition of an agenda.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But you won't admit that the next elite coach exists, conveniently so you can say you want to keep your fantasy boyfriend as coach.

You don't know who the next McCarthy is, but you'll sure as hell act like he doesn't exist in order to push your agenda.
I can admit he exists, what I don't believe is that Jerry can find him unless it's obvious, a la Jim Harbaugh.

So it has to be a young enough high end coach like Reid.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Even though the statistics and facts completely state the obvious.

This is the very definition of an agenda.
The only statistic that matters to me was that Wade finished his tenure here 1-7. He lost control of the team like I knew he would. Being able to resurrect 1-7 to 8-8 is better.

Not an agenda, just the facts. Wade was no better than a 1-7 coach when he departed here and Garrett is better than that.

To do better than Garrett, we don't have to ask "who is better than 1-7?" We have to ask "who is better than 8-8?" And that question hadn't received an adequate answer yet.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can admit he exists, what I don't believe is that Jerry can find him unless it's obvious, a la Jim Harbaugh.

So it has to be a young enough high end coach like Reid.
Would you not rather gamble on something new than continue with something that has proven to not work?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yea definitely, I never would've made the trade myself although I definitely thought Claiborne was an elite prospect by pretty much all accounts. I don't think he is as bad as he's playing now but due to a number of reasons it's just not happening for him and it may never happen for him here.

Plus, let's not forget, if we cut him, we all know damn good and well that we're going to waste another 1st on a CB very soon.
I'm not talking about cutting him now. I just know that wasting a 1st and 2nd is going to hurt us more than just analyzing the contract and then not re-signing him. If it were just finances then sure we can just let him play out his rookie contract and no big deal. But squandering yet another draft just continues to keep us wallowing in mediocrity.

First it was ridiculous to want to move up and use 2 top picks on a CB. Then to take a CB like Claiborne and put him in a Tampa 2 defense just compounded the lunacy. But hey, it's what Jerry and this franchise does.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The only statistic that matters to me was that Wade finished his tenure here 1-7. He lost control of the team like I knew he would. Being able to resurrect 1-7 to 8-8 is better.

Not an agenda, just the facts. Wade was no better than a 1-7 coach when he departed here and Garrett is better than that.
Yea, but Garrett is not better than 11-5 with a division title. I hated Wade as much as you did, but that right there, along with his other playoff appearances in other stops is much more of an accomplishment than anything Garrett has done here.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Would you not rather gamble on something new than continue with something that has proven to not work?
I'd take a reasonable gamble. A guy who had been coaching in the Canadian football league the past couple years would not be. McCoy or Bradley are complete unknowns and not hot names on the upswing, so they aren't reasonable gambles either.

Find a good name and I'm aboard.

Top Bottom